How Noise-Shy Are Catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Sinker, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Got my own opinions on this but I was curious what some of the rest of you thought. Do you think they become more tolerant because of frequent traffic etc.? Or are they just braver when they're hungry? I really think less noise is desirable, but I spect my grandkids disagree! Fish are noisy when feeding and they depend on vibrations to find cripples and such. Whatta ya think?

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Of course it is always best to try to not make your presence known to them, but I read that if there is a lot of traffic going through or around the water, then the catfish become more tolerant because it isnt unusual at all to them. The article said that when catfish are fed by someone, they may actually come up and roll on the surface when they hear footsteps (up to 300 feet away or something.) So like if you had a creek on a cattle farm, they probably wouldnt be so noise shy, and you could get away with making a little noise. But I think that if the fish where you are fishing are secluded from noise a lot, then it would be about the same. This one I have personal experience with. I was hiking down a creek one day, and a bass was swimming within 3 feet of me and it didnt seem to care.

:0a26:

3. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I dont know as to if the sound really bothers them but I dont try and make lots of noice. I do at times play a radio in the boat though. Where I fish there is lots of current and barge traffic usually so I think they may be used to it but I dont know. I would like to see if there is actual stuides on this though. Never have noticed a difference personally though.

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a friend of mine who is a scuba diver. He said that when noise affects the catfish they may just swim a short distance away and will come back to the same spot when they calm down. He always tells me to just move the boat 50 yards either way and to try again, This actually works for me.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I think it depends on what time of year it is.At times ive seem them really spooky but during the time they are guarding the nests they wouldnt move.Last year i went fishing and i was on the bank,and about 30 minutes after i was there i noticed something right beside the bank right in front of me about half covered up under the ledge.It was a big channel cat,i could have reached down and touch it from where i was sitting,anyway it didnt move until i was reeling my line in to check my bait and when it got right next to it,it just exploded on my bait.It ended up being a 10 pound channel,so i put it right back in so it could watch all them beutiful little babys,i set it loose right next to where i caught it and it went right back under the ledge where it was to begin with.Anyway just my opinion but i think it just depends on if they are nesting or not.

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Well, I would say it depends on the time of day, weather, moon phase, flow of a river, wind, water temps or whatever else we can all think up. LOL That was meant in jest, but just consider this. Deerhunter hooked a 35 lb Bluecat a few days ago and lost it right along side the boat. And before he could retie and setup again he caught the same fish on a different rod, within a matter of a couple of minutes. To me it just goes to show that we have no idea what affects a catfish or it's habits. All we can do is try to play it safe. Most of us say the fishing is terrible on full moon nights, but the majority of all record book catfish are caught during the full moon phase. There's probably more factors that affect fish than any of us will ever come close to figuring out. All we can do is try to put the odds in our favor with baits and our own fishing habits. And hopefully we do things right often enough to get a goodun once in awhile. That's how I see it anyhow.

7. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'll bet yer right about the nesting. I wonder about sounds when ya drop something in the bottom of the boat. Even with carpet or such ya still have vibrations and impact.

8. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I always have my radio and tuned to a country station. I see it as part of trip of fishing. I don't think it affects it much, but I don't catch more than 5lbers!

Bryan is right so many factors affect Catfish that we can't even immagine.

Don't they make bobers that make noise to attract fish. ofcourse these aren't catfish bobers but it's the same princible right? For all we know the music mite do the fishing some good!!!

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Only about 5% of the sound from outside the water is detectable underwater, so the proximity would have to be close. Vibration actually in the water, while basically the same as sound, is a lot more detectable by fish.

Movement that can be seen by the fish is probably the biggest "scare factor", especially when fishing from shore.

10. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Whistler said there's more than we'll ever understand involved, and I can readily accept that. What I have a hard time understanding is all the fuss about pets and such. Are we gonna change the name of this to pets.somethingerother? I wanta fish as bad as anybody and I got cabin fever just as bad. But I wanta put the time to learning how to fish! I already know how to lie,cheat,slander'n steal!

11. Gone fishin 4 kittys

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA

Those facts make sense to me!! So basically if you don't have one big system blaring then you should be ok listening to the radio at something that won't blow your ear drums out!!

Do we have anyone out there that knows what sense catfish you use more sight or sound. We all know they are one big nose

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    We had an earlier post that said If you feed them (like in a pond) the cats can hear you walking from a couple hundred feet away. I read something similar by doug stange from In-fisherman. If that aint sensitive I don't know what is. From my personal experience, when I go out alone I catch more and bigger fish. When I take someone in the boat who has to talk all night I usually catch small ones or nothing at all. The larger fish will be older and wiser than juvenile fish. They will shy away from noise not natural to the area. The river I fish has railroad tracks running up the west side, when that train moves by I can feel it through the hull. I have never got a hit while the train is going by, or just sitting there idling, but after its gone things heat up again. This is natural to these fish cause it happens 2-4 times a day. but they dont hit when its happening. I think it disrupts or overwhelms their senses.

13. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    I think it depends on the water. If it's out in the middle of nowhere and is usually quite, no fishing pressure, nothing but deer and coons, I'd say you need to be quite. If you're under a bridge or next to a boat launch, you could make more noise and not notice any loss in action. Cats get accustomed to thier environment, and what spooks them is something out of the ordinary. I'm not really sure if I agree that water doesn't absorb sound, because it is a better conductor of sound than air is. So a 20 lb weight dropped on a grassy river bank from a height of 5 feet might be able to be heard 15 feet away. But the vibrations of the weight striking the ground might travel several hundred feet through the water, depending on depth and water temperature.
    We know a voice will carry farther over water.................but how far does it penetrate under water? Not what you could hear, but what a fish could detect? If it's only 5%, but that 5% travels 200% farther than in the air, wouldn't that nullify the 5%?
    Rat

14. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Rat, I think the idea is that when the sound strikes the water 95% ricochets.

15. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Exactly. But if the 5% that does penetrate travels further through water than it does through air.............does that cancel out the 95% that didn't penetrate? And there in lies the rub.
    Rat

16. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Now yer gettin inta fiziks or somethin like that.

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Sound in the air translates into vibrations through the water. If you are after trophy fish say, 40+. And you like to play your radio or talk all night or stomp around the beach. I say go for it, When you leave with nothin but drowned bait I'll come buy and catch that big one for ya.LOL

18. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    More so than usual movements on the boat and music, I think boat pressure and movements cause more of a problem for the bite. I have been on a decent bite before and then when boats move in on you constantly moving and cranking up it always disturbs the bite and the fish seem to shut down. I always do better when I am away from other boats and when their is less noise due to boat traffic. So there is some aspects to the noise theory that affects the bite.

19. Gone fishin 4 kittys

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think tha Rat has a very good point. That makes sense about the enviroment. I think we need to do some feild testing on the matter.

20. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Guys

If ya could get me a under water recording of an Ohio River Barge passin by I'd buy it from ya!!!! ;)