How much weight?

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Mr Okie, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    How much weight do you need right now for fishing on the Mississippi????
    Gonna make the first trip on the Mississippi tomorrow need good advice and some honey holes.....forgot to add that will probably launch at Piasa Creek unless some one has a better place.....

2. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Depends where your fishing at, during normal river stages I usually fish with between 6-8oz., below the dams up to 16oz., during high water conditions sometimes you can't put enough weight on to keep it down. But, even with that said it all depends on where and what part of the river your fishing.

3. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Malichi1970
    I now this may sound stupid but is the river at normal stage now or is it still high. I know that it isn't at flood stage because I have been looking at the river stage on the internet but I am not sure what normal is??????

4. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    When I went over the bridge this morning it still looks to be up over the wing dikes, but I haven't been out on the river so I don't know for sure how high it really is. I was out on the Meramec last weekend and it was up quite abit still.

5. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I called up columbia bottoms today and they said the dikes are still underwater on the mo.

6. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    The river is still high below Melvin Price but very fishable, I pretty sure there is about 4ft of water at Maple Island boat ramp, the Alton Marina from what i heard is not useable might want to take a look yourself on that one, Piasa is probally going to be petty low too, I know the mud flats are still showing across from Alton, over all Pool 26 is being sucked through the Melvin Price about as fast as possible right now so everyhting from about Gafton south is low. Columbia Bottoms would be your safest bet.

7. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    out here, where 40 crosses the mo river, we are starting to see the tips of the wingdikes poking out. hopefully it will begin to get more approachable for bank fisherman.

8. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    Use this to keep an eye on water levels:
    http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/new/layout.cfm

You can look at averages over time etc and get an idea how conditions are on the river. If you look at the Mel Price upstream and downstream gages you can tell if the gates of the dam are down or if it's open river. Make a note of river gages when you go fishing and you can figure out where to launch etc in addition to fishing patterns.

For example the St. Louis gage during the summer seems to range from 4-10', it's reading at 18.5' today so although it's not at flood stage it's still up on the bricks downtown and the wingdikes are still under water.