How much weight to use for abu 7000?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by baptistpreach, Aug 13, 2007.

1. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I have an abu 6000 and a 7000. I have no problem at all casting the 6000, I put 2 egg sinkers that weigh total 1 oz. My 7000 on the other hand, I am having problems with! How much weight do you use to cast a 7000? I have it on a catfish ugly stik, 7ft long with 50lb braided line, and it is spooled full. Thanks and have a great day!

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Try about a 2oz. sinker. That's usually the minimum I use on mine. With my longer rods and heavy current, I'll use 3 or more, depending on how strong the current is and how much weight I need to keep my bait down.

3. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    My problem isn't current, just distance. I just got some 2oz bank sinkers that I thought I'd try. Thanks for the input!

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    With about 20 to 30lb test line, those 2oz. bank sinkers will be about perfect.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Adjust your reel spool control so when its in free spool, the lne with weight will slowly drop toward the ground. This should be close. Once you add your bait you will need to readjust.:smile2:

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Like Mick said. Adjust your brake properly and it will handle whatever weight ya need to fish with.

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ever think about trying it with a shimano open faced spinner?:wink:

8. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Generally for the 7000 reels I use up to 6 ounces of lead plus bait with a shock leader, but for the 7500C3CT I can get it up to 12 oz. with a shock leader on the heavers.

9. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    I usually use 3 oz with my 6000 and it works fine. So I'd say anything over atleast 2 oz considering the 7000 is what twice the line capacity and size? I can't wait til i get mine.

10. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Like Paul, I use 3oz no-rolls on my 7000iC3 w/25lb test as a minimum....I use it on a 8' Blackhorse custom rod rated at 1-6oz's.....It does a good job....Dwight

11. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Like stated before adjust your brake just so your weight pulls line out while holding the rod tip up. Last night I was using a 5oz weight with about a 8oz bullhead with my 7001i.

12. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    on my 6000's and 12 foot rods i use 3 ounces on 20 lb test line.a 7000 will hold whatever u put on it.

13. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have 6500's and one 7000 on 12' rods and use 4oz flat banks and bait on the 6500 and 5 or 6oz on the 7000. It really depends on the current. The rod is more important in regard to the amout of weight used than the reel. A 7000 can handle just about any weight you want, if adusted correctly, the rod may not.

14. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You're absulutely right Dave. The weight aspect of what the rod will throw is so often overlooked. I am guilty of overlooking it myself as all my 7000s are on rods between 12 and 14 foot long.

15. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I use 6500's on the appropriate rod with up to 3 oz's. Anything over 3 gets tied to a 7000.
    One thing I read somewhere said for improved casting distance with a 7000 to fill the spool to the top, not a 1/8 below. That's what I do, but I can't tell you how much it helps.

16. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you're casting for distance, you're absolutely right. Fill it to the top of the spool edge. More line comes off the spool for each turn of the spool the more there is on there. Just have to be careful of the "fluff" getting tangled up on the bottom of the line guide nut. It happens now and then when they're that full, at least to me, LOL.