?? How Much Weight Do You Guys Use In The River??

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by fishin' addict, Dec 6, 2009.

1. fishin' addict

fishin' addict New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm still new to this river fishing and I was wanting to know how much weight on average do you guys use fishing in the river. Also what type of sinkers do you use? Also when fishing on the outside of a river bend... do you guys cast out into the strong part of the current or just outside the heavy current nearer to ths shore?

2. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    amount of weight you use is going to depend on the rivers current, i've used any where from an ounce this summer when the river was more like a lake and 8oz when its up. i use egg sinkers but a guys use the no roll. hope this helps

3. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I use usually 5 oz or 8 oz no roll sinkers on the Ohio. When its down you can use less than 5, but when ordering nad to save money I just get two sizes and use them mainly. Found out recently though that an 8 oz sometimes won't hold in the current on an outside bend....so I may have to try to get ahold of some 12 or 16 oz sinkers like the guys on the Mississippi use frequently.

4. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    i use all the way from...2-8 oz...no-rolls banks and eggs...the eggs i only have 1-3 oz now..but i want to find some 8 oz.ers

I fish the missouri river though!!

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'll echo what's been said. It depends on the flow, or current on the day you are fishing, which changes dramatically from day to day. I use eggs and no rolls from 2 to 8 ounces depending on the above mentioned.

Bill in SC

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Rivers change almost daily, so everyone is right you never know what you'll need until your there. Depending on what side of the river I am fishing, more often than not atleast one rod (outside rod) is thrown out into heavy current, and more often than not thats the pole that gets the big blue. I think that has more to do with where the bait stops, the river bottom is full of current breaks and break lines. So obviously, if you are in fast current, lots of times your bait will get swept into a breakline, In my experience fish hold to these breaklines quite often..

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I agree with everyone so far, just depends on the mood of the river and where exactly you are fishing. I typically use Flat Bank Sinkers from 3-8oz and if there is not much current, Ill use regular bank sinkers ( Peanuts) in 3-5 oz and sometimes use them for drifting as well. This year will be moving to some egg sinkers for drifting so we will see how that works out.

As far as advise goes, Id always go at least an oz heavier then you think youll need and if your trying to hold across a current seam, youll need at least an 8 and maybe a 12 oz to hold.....just depends on how heavy the current is, and how big your bait is. If your throwing a 1/2 lb chunk of skipjack, youll need a lot of weight to hold it down to the bottom.

I always keep a few 8 and 12 oz sinkers in the boat just in case....:wink:

Whatever the case, before long, your tackle bag will weigh about 80 bs....

Salmonid

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    aint that the truth! for the GMR i keep no-roll and bank sinkers (peanuts) in 3and 5 oz. i also keep 2oz banks for some float rigs i use, they are just the right weight for the floats. this year i hope to melt down and keep a handfull of 8oz ro-rolls in my bag. even in a smaller river like the gmr they can come in handy when fishing heavier current when the water is up a bit.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  9. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    I used about 3oz of weight most of the time. Usually egg sinkers but I will put whatever on my line. I used a wrench one time. I usually use a three way rig with line that has a smaller test than my main line just in case it gets snagged. If the current is up I may put more weight on. If it is windy I usually put more weight on.

10. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    :smile2::smile2:What size wrench??lmao:wink:

11. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I carry from one to six ounce on my boat and if I want it to hold and a six won't do it I double it up. That said; most of the time i've fished the river this year I have fished just enough weight to slow the bait down in the current . Fishing this way you can throw a pole out each side and drift it over quite a area then reel it in and cast it again. Does not work real well if there is a lot of structure on the bottom, perhaps that is why that 150 pounds of sinkers I made last winter are almost gone.

12. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Why laugh?? :confused2: :confused2: It works!! :smile2: :smile2:

13. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I do have some 15 oz sinkers slightly larger that a golf ball for high strong current on the Ohio. :wink: I don't have a boat though. :confused2:

14. fishin' addict

fishin' addict New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the help. I was using only 3 oz's and seemed i could only fish the lighter current next to the heavy current only about 8 feet offshore on an outside bend (bankfishing). I will have to get some much heavier weights so I can get it out there a little farther offshore. By the way I am fishing the Scioto for flats. Do many bait shops have weights that size or do you guys make your own or buy em online?

15. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Catcrazed found a place that sells them cheaper than you can make them ! Maybe he will chime in here somewhere and tell ya where.

The only problem I see with what your doing is that if you start using super sized sinkers then you may not get em back up the "hill" when your reeling them back in for re-bait ! You may need a round sinker ? Not sure. Good luck to ya.

16. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Like everyone said it all depends on the area/current you're fishing. Ifish the James River 90% of the time and In the Barge pits I can use 2oz weights but out in the channel wether bank fishing or on a boat I've always used 3oz-6oz depending on my rod/reel size. But my past two trips have been all 8oz-10oz. I never imagined myself using these size weights but now I wouldnt be suprised if I had to use bigger

17. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ive never fished the Ohio but in my river there is No need to cast to the middle of the river. In all my experiences 99% of my fish were caught 2to 5 feet from the bank! If bank fishing i dont use lights or make any sounds, them big flatheads will come right up the bank feeding. The bait fish are not in the middle of the river there close to shore trying to hide. Also I usually use 5 to 8 oz. bank sinkers on a sinker slide so I can change them if need be. It also depends on what size of bait im using. Some of them big largemouth takes 8 oz. to keep them some what pinned from swimming into a snag. Good luck!

18. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Everyone go to atoztackleshop.com They really do sell sinkers for even less than you can make them. all kinds of different styles and weights. On there website there weights only go up to 10 ounces but when I ordered mine the fella said they actually had sinkers all the way up to 14 ounces. I ordered 25 of the 4oz, 25 of the 6oz, 25 of the 80z, and 25 of the 10oz. It was like 45lbs of lead or something like that and my bill was around 45bucks and that was even with shipping!! They gottem to me fast to guys. They are just a family operation and we should supportem if there willing to give us these kinda deals. Atleast check out there website!!!

19. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks for the good info Robin, thought they only went up to 8 oz as well....good to know i can still do all my shopping for sinkers in one place

20. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When I am bottom fishing I like to use the minimum amount of weight necessary to keep it on the bottom. When I am drifting I like to use extra weight.