How much to slaughter?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Flatheadhunter33, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I dont know if this post is in the correct area so please forgive me if i screw this up. My buddy and I are having a discussion about how much it should cost to purchase a hog for slaughter...I know absolutely nothing about this subject. I have an extra feezer at home that I would love to fill with meat so i can spend more time honing my BBQ skills:big_smile: . Anyhow, I live in Arizona and I dont know how much it SHOULD cost. I do know that every year there are hogs and steer on auction at the local fair. But my buddy says that they jack up the prices on those animals to give something back to kids who raise them...so can someone tell me how much it costs and is it worth it? My buddy and I plan to go halfers on it.

2. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    That's not bad...I thought it would be a lot more than that. is it true that some butchers will give breaks if you split the meat with them?

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm not much help but I think it has to do with the market price,also I would get it from a local hog farmer if you have any in your area. The fair would probably really cost ya!---------pk powell:smile2:

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i dont know about sharing meat with the butcher. he knows meat better than you....lol.

5. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Good point. I never thought about it like that.

6. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks Jim. I still thought it would more than that by quite alot. I guess that it would be worth it after all to go that route and save some money at the grocer??

7. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Jim, did you check the market price online? Does it vary from state to state?

8. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    250 to 300 lb Hog should cost around $ 150.00 i have seen them go higher during the winter.

9. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    How does the season effect the price?

10. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Because alot of people like to put them in a smoke house. Ive seen them here got for 15 to 20 cents a pound in the summer

11. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks brother! I appreciate the help!

12. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I see...I am really learning quite bit here so please bear with me on all the questions...

13. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    Instead of going through the fair, find the closest aution barn. I have one close to me that I go to when I need to fill the freezer. There is a guy there that is a meat processor. I tell him what I want and he will bid on the animal, slaughter, butcher, and wrap the meat up for me. All I have to do is pick it up and pay for it when he is done. The price per pound is quite a bit lower than buying from the grocery store. Hope this helps.

14. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Yes it does brother, quite a bit! I am going to start looking around this week.

15. Jim G

Jim G New Member

State:
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Hogs are high right now and probably will be for awhile. The futures for hogs are expected to stay high for quite awhile. The demand for hogs starts picking up soon due to the increase in slaughter by producers getting ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas Hams. The price is good for the farmers now (which is great!) but not for the guy who just wants to butcher one. I think you are about as well to look for loins, ribs or whatever you like best and buy it when it is on sale than you are buying a whole hog to butcher. That is my own opinion. Here is a link showing what prices were paid today across the country today for slaughter. http://marketnews.usda.gov/gear/browseby/LSMNPubs/PDF_DAILY/DHPS.PDF

Jim

16. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Dameon, you might look around for a local locker plant and just see what they have on hand. If you aren't going to buy a hog and feed it out then it wouldn't save you much to buy your own and deal with getting it to the processor. A lot of times they will have deals where you can buy 1/2 or whole hogs or beef either one.

ST