How much time spent on spot

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by jconna, Jun 19, 2008.

1. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    What is the average time you spend on spot for flathead? I have no experience with them so don't really have any input, but as for channel and blue's....I set the clickers on and give them an average of 30 minutes to set it off or I'll be moving on.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Don't target flatheads but from what I understand it is the ultimate game of patience,patience,patience. :cool2:

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    When I do get out to fish, I'll stay at a spot for a few hours changing the bait to keep them lively.

I'm sure your everyday catfisherman might use different tactics though.
    :wink:

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    15 to 20 minutes max for me. No bite = movin' on. I put six to ten rods in the water and if that scent trail doesn't draw them in quickly, I move.
    BB in SC

5. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I'm kind of jealous, Bill

PA limits you to 2 poles. sometimes, that take up your time. more times they don't. But with 6-10 poles and moving as often as every 15minutes. WOW! :crazy:
    that would be some intense fishing.

personally. setting up is some of the scariest time, because just as your knotting a new hook is no easy time, to set the hook on another rod. With 6-10 rods to set up, that would happen so much more often
    :crazy::crazy:

Jay

6. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I mainly bank fish and cast one near the channel and one close to the bank until I locate fish, also I move my bait a couple cranks every ten minutes or so. I fish all night most of the time and it usually pays off, George is right patience is the key.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I bank fish for flats...so I set one one spot all day or night.

but usually if they are hitting I will catch one within the 1st hr.

8. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I'll fish all night in one spot. I let the fish do all the movin around.

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

for flatheads 2 hours.

10. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks all.....I appreciate your opinions and experience. They give me a good baseline to work with.....I guess alot of it is going to come down to my experimenting and finding out what works for me in my stretch of water. I'm sure that will take me some time but I'll get there.... And you're right Jason! I'm jealous too! I think Virginia ruined me. :eek:oooh: You don't know how bad I wish the limit wasn't set at two rods here at PA. I would love to be able to kick my boat sideways when the water is calm and have 4 rods spread out so that I could cover alot more types of cover and depths at one time :big_smile_2: It doesn't help to know that if I have two cat rods out the back (which I always do), that I can't toss a surface lure for bass while I'm waiting for the clicker either. I shouldn't have to make that compromise. I can understand alot of the fish commission's laws, but that one really urks me :angry:

11. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    I set the alarm on my finder for 20 min. max, Usually more like 15. Unless Im nailing nice fish. it seems the more i move the better the night

12. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i usually spend at least an hour switch baits then another hour if no hits by then i'll move on but patience is key i'd say