How much time do we have left.......

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KansasKatter, Oct 25, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    How much time, if any do we have left to catch flatheads? Last weekend the water temp was between 55 and 57 degrees. What is the magic number when they will pretty much shut down for the winter? Is their really much point in continuing the chase this year, or should I shift to channel cat for the winter?

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I feel that the flats are over for this year. I am fishing for channels and blues now.

3. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I am about to call it quits too. I may go one more time this weekend and then turn to the channel cats.

4. fattyflatty

fattyflatty New Member

State:
    kansas
    i think they stop biting at 65 degrees but i have heard of people jigging them during the ice peroid.

5. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    We catch them in nets in deep wintering holes. During extremely cold weather the shad die off and the flatheads will be full of them sometimes. I always heard flatheads did'nt feed in very cold weather.:confused2:

6. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    I still put out my 3-5 inch live gill on my big pole whether its winter or not. i figure if the flats dont bite then a big blue or channel will.

7. whisker bend

whisker bend New Member

State:
    georgia
    in georgia its in high gear. the water is around 60 but they bite until the low 50s

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    They seem to be still going strong in SC. This is my first year fishing in the winter but I wil always put out a couple of poles with live gills cause the big blues seem to love them very much.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    dont give up yet jeff. on halloween the water here in northern idiana was 46* and me and polcat managed to get a 22#er on cut gill. im not saying you will catch alot just that they can still be caught.

C.P.R. for the future!!

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    ALL fish eat year round. Their mebabolisim slows down so they don't eat as much - but the still eat. I just don't understand a person quit fishing when over 1/2 the year is left. Guess they must be the warm water variety. I am getting so old I am happy just to be out in nature... catching a fish is just a plus.

11. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Amen Brother!! :big_smile: