Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to research how much anglers spend on catfishing tackle and equipment etc each year. I’ve done google searches but what I get back is how much total is spent on fishing equipment in general. I plan on starting a small e-commerce site focused on catfishing tackle and equipment and am trying to write my business plan but I just can’t find these numbers.

·
Registered
386 Posts
on gear alone hooks Sinkers line a new pole here or there ..Id say under 500 ..I dont have a boat... Other expenditures such as gas or lodging is hard to figure for me ...I catch most all of my bait except worms to catch y favorite bait ( bluegills ) Not very good with acast net but use it some ..buying skip jack here is kinda futile as it gets mushy quick I guess it depends on where yoy are located too as to what one might spend ...close to good catting waters ? Blues Flatties Channels ?? I'm sure inventory would reflect species sought in your area .

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,558 Posts
catfishings pretty cheap in general. dont take much, a hook a weight and a swivel.
Somewhere between RM91 .......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... and our good friend Ramon!!!!!

...W

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Dagblasted Winston I was just laying on the couch reading this post and thinking oh lord I don't even want to comment on this question lol then something in my head says look up. And I look up and see a bunch of crap I've ordered over the past couple months that I need to sort through and put away. Guess I got some reels to spool Michael please control yourself and never become a tackle junkie lol
Plastic Room Flooring Computer hardware Carmine

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dagblasted Winston I was just laying on the couch reading this post and thinking oh lord I don't even want to comment on this question lol then something in my head says look up. And I look up and see a bunch of crap I've ordered over the past couple months that I need to sort through and put away. Guess I got some reels to spool Michael please control yourself and never become a tackle junkie lol View attachment 328327
I have gotten into Penn reels this past year due to the fact that they have 30 lbs of drag which my Muskie fishing friend says is sweet and after catching a few 20 lb channels on his Penn reel I was hooked on the smoothnesses and it seemed effortless to bring the fish in. So I bought a Fathom II in the 8 size and another that is a level wind 12 size. So the answer is I’m a hopeless tackle and equipment addict also. Those 2 reels were about $500. Although I’ve had the same Beckman net for 20 years now and not even a broken string after landing a pluthera of 20 lb channel cats. We fish for channel cats here along the Red River in Drayton ND where I live. In fact we have world class channel catfishing at the dam just outside of town.

·
Premium Member
6,280 Posts
Seems to me cat fishermen are in general DIY'ers, many cast their own sinkers, build their own rod holders, repurpose rattle floats, etc. Of course some things like depth finders, rod holder bases and the such are purchased along with rods and reels. Other than wanting something nicer or different I would think given proper care a quality reel would last the average cat fisherman a lifetime with proper care and being maintained well, unlike bass fishing where I make hundreds of cast a day once my cat rigs are out they stay out for awhile so wear is minimal.
If it were in the budget I would spend almost two thousand this year on a new depth finder other than that I likely will spend somewhere around $20.00 on hooks and other terminal tackle. Good Luck

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
I have gotten into Penn reels this past year due to the fact that they have 30 lbs of drag which my Muskie fishing friend says is sweet and after catching a few 20 lb channels on his Penn reel I was hooked on the smoothnesses and it seemed effortless to bring the fish in. So I bought a Fathom II in the 8 size and another that is a level wind 12 size. So the answer is I’m a hopeless tackle and equipment addict also. Those 2 reels were about $500. Although I’ve had the same Beckman net for 20 years now and not even a broken string after landing a pluthera of 20 lb channel cats. We fish for channel cats here along the Red River in Drayton ND where I live. In fact we have world class channel catfishing at the dam just outside of town.
Wow I've never seen an 8. I need one more reel for inshore fishing. I was set on getting the slammer 2500 for my small rig but that fathom 8 is looking pretty tempting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow I've never seen an 8. I need one more reel for inshore fishing. I was set on getting the slammer 2500 for my small rig but that fathom 8 is looking pretty tempting.
The Fathom 8 is sweet to say the least. Small size and yet I can get over 100 yards of 80 lb power pro 4x braid on it because you don’t need backing on the Fathom II reels as they have a raspy spot on the spool. The 8 is not a level wind though which you don’t notice after a few casts of using your finger as your level wind. It also packs a punch with 30 lbs of drag. Smooth as silk also with all the ball bearings. I had to tighten up my spool because it’s really smooth and easy to back lash until you get your spool tension where you need it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think if a person wants to get technical you should set your drag at 30% of your line weight. Somebody correct me if that’s inaccurate. So running 80 lb braid in my abu 5500 I could not get enough drag to be technically correct which is a moot issue for channels though. But for those of you who fish Blues and Flatbeads that could come into play.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I think if a person wants to get technical you should set your drag at 30% of your line weight. Somebody correct me if that’s inaccurate. So running 80 lb braid in my abu 5500 I could not get enough drag to be technically correct which is a moot issue for channels though. But for those of you who fish Blues and Flatbeads that could come into play.
ive never hooked into anything on a penn reel i felt was just whooping me. i dont set the penn near the max drag. just kinda go by feel. even 40lb flatties in the river only take short spurts. id guess maybe 10lbs of drag on 50lb mono.

·
Registered
Way to much to list
8 Posts
Well seeing as how I keep my rods and reels in top shape (cause I'm not gonna spend that kind of money again for a fishing rod ever) I would say just in terminal tackle I spend 150-200 bucks a year if you ain't getting hung up your in the wrong spot also don't have a boat so I don't get back much tackle when I get hung. If you wanna fish kinda cheap Walmarts the place for most terminal tackle and line (went to big fish outfitters I'll not be doing that ever again in my life should have called them big price outfitters)

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,622 Posts
200 a year maybe. Will spend more if find something at a fantastic price. But most of mine is for sinkers, hooks, swivels, and a couple respooling of current reels. Did find in my last order that I forgot to order some sinker slides.

Love going to Drayton. Just hate the ramp below dam as ussually going by myself. We need a dock to tie to unload and reload boat.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Gear to reel in big fish is a personal preference. I love my fathom but I have always seen it to be a bit of overkill for Drayton. I fish there a lot and have never had an issue with the old 6500's 15# drag on a softer rod to take the shock of the run.

I am the wrong person to answer your original question because I blow everyone's budgets because of what I do. My sucker bill alone in 2021 was $1100. I don't even want to talk about gas. Gear was not all that bad.

So what is your opinion about the dam coming out this fall?

·
Registered
Ron from Northwest Texas
127 Posts
Umm I'm sold.........my daughter bought me a Penn Squall 2 in size 20 for my birthday back in October,after mentioning how much I liked it my son he bought me another for Christmas.He knows I am an equipment junkie..........if one works and I like it I want a fleet of them.

Now to your original question.............. $200-500,I catch my own bait,pour my own lead but hooks,line and rods are my weakness.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
If you want to start a business Pete with Wild Wolf Tackle is thinking about selling out. If you can't connect with him there's a few on here that can. Johnny made ABS narrow spools that fit small mouth drink bottles on one side and large drink and gallon jugs on the other. Later he made some to fit 1/2" and 3/4" PVC pipe. The last time talking with Pete he couldn't find any. I've been asked a lot where I got mine. One would need the machine to produce them.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts