How much should it cost to get a Carb rebuilt?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by tricitycatter, Jan 16, 2010.

1. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    My father-in-law has a 12' valco with a '72 Evenrude 9.9 (2 stroke), I rebuilt the entire bottom end last spring & rewired the trailer to get the privelege to use it. After about 3 hours the motor would only run at 1/2 speed with the throtle wide open, I am most certain it is the carb & it needs a rebuild, it sat for over 10 years before I got it running. I was qurious about what you think I should pay to get it rebuilt, I have a manual & have looked at it to see about doing it myself but I don't think i want to try & have to buy a new motor if I break it since I don't own it.

2. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    I'm pretty sure that you're not gonna ruin the motor if you rebuild the carb wrong. It is not too hard to do if you get the right kit for it. It just takes some patients. I rebuilt a big Holly carb for my truck and it worked great. All I did was follow kit/book instructions. That was the first time I had ever rebuilt a carb. Don't know what your carb kit will cost but is should be fairly cheap, I would think...rebuild with confidence...good luck bro.

3. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i got a rebuild kit for a 25 hoss johnson 76 model,for $20.00 and some change.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you take it off yourself and take it in most likely they will charge you any where from 100 buck to 150. Its not a hard job. The only two things you can really screw up are the float and the pick up tubes. Don't twist no tubes out and take a small wire after you soak them and spray carb cleaner through every hole and replace the needle and seat and all gaskets it should be good to go. The small wire is for cleaning out holes and use air to blow them out. Look on the bottom of the carb and there should be a brass plug hex head that is where your high speed jet is located and it is stopped up partly clean it. If it sat that long the carb needs a full soak and rebuild.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I get confuse when they get that old, if the carb's on the front or on the side, and if the recoil starter needs to be removed to get to the carb nuts, or not.

Be nice to have a picture, or description of the starter set up. Then we could give you some tips in taking all this stuff apart.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If you have two arms, two legs and two eyes... and can read, you can fix the carb yourself. They do not require a rocket scientist. Just go to a local auto parts store, or a marine store, and order the correct kit. Take the model and SN with you. They come with complete instructions and are not difficult to comprehend. Spend the 20 to 25 dollars and get yourself educated. Even if you mess it up, it will still cost you the same amount at a marina.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I noted that you said it would run but at about 50%. It might be worth a try to run a can of sea foam through it before going to the trouble and cost of a carb overhaul.

8. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Thanx for all the input, I will have to check with my in-law & see if he'll let me use his shop & tools again. I guess I need to look at the motor more & see if it is on the side or top.

9. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Well I just got out the box that had the lower end parts in it & the Evenrude manual, & I found a carb rebuild kit, after looking at the recipt it looks like the guy that sold me the parts last spring stuck this in with everything. No wonder it was more than his original qute, he probly knew I would need it. I took a picture of the diagram & it looks like it should bo on the side so wish me luck. thanx again everyone for the advice.

Attached Files:

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    No, that carb's in the front. Doesn't look anything like the older side mounted carb. You might need to take off the recoil starter. What does it look like?

11. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    If you can rebuild a lower unit I doubt you'll have much problem with a small carb, you obviously have some mechanical skills.

One tip, many of those older motors have the original foam float which can get fuel logged/heavy and can even flake apart and plug up passages so when you see them, junk them. The new ones will be made of plastic but pay attention to the directions that come with them, some of them have to be set to a different float height because of a difference in buoyancy so the old data for float height found in most repair manuals no longer applies. I know 2 guys with mid 70's Mercs that made that mistake and when I quizzed them sure enough they both set the float height to the specs in the book and not to the specs that came with the new float. They reset the float heights to the new specs and both ran great.

They thought I was some kinda freakin' genius ... I didn't let them know I found this out myself the hard way