How much saved

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by shingman6, Aug 25, 2007.

1. shingman6

shingman6 New Member

State:
    South Carolini
    Has anybody figuired out how much is saved by making your own sinkers?

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I figure I can save a bunch of money by making my own sinkers and still be able to give plenty to friends.
    It has been a while since I looked at the prices on sinkers in a tackle shop so, I am just guessing here.

It has cost me 30.00... turkey fryer, 110.00 ..molds
    That adds up to 140.00 for the setup. This investment is depreciated over time while making weights.
    Now throw in 16.00 for enough propane to melt 700lbs of lead (lead is free).
    We made 675 weights the last time we did some and only used a quarter of a tank of propane, this = 4.00. These were 3,4,5,6,8oz sinkers in no-roll bank and no-roll slip sinkers.

I really don't think you can buy 700lbs of weights at a tackle shop for 174.00.

3. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    The last time I checked the bait shop for my favorite 4oz pyramids they were running around 65 cents each. If you were to buy 200 you'd pay around 130 bucks. Now Dreadnaught made 675 sinkers for 170 bucks. Even if the weights were all 40 cents each they would total out to 275 at the store. You're saving a bunch of money plus putting forth more energy during the winter to go toward your cause of catching more and bigger fish.

4. shingman6

shingman6 New Member

State:
    South Carolini
    Thanks for the info.I did not know it was that much savings.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Keep in mind... I get my lead for free, that helps a bunch right there!!!

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You can probably make your sinkers for at least half what you would pay at a retail store. But you have control over what your doing. I like to make my own sinkers, not for any savings, but for the enjoyment. Its like total fishing. I'd make my own hooks if I knew how. LOL

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I have to agree, I'm sure there is a great savings, as all my lead is also free, and I would think that at $40 for a mold one good season has paid for it. I have to say that I never started making my own for a savings, as I am sure that most all do it because it is fun and enjoyable, just another way to pass time other than in front of a television set.... also make all the jigs we loose :wink: and make spinner baits and inlines, it is nice to make one up then catch the fish on it...... as far as giving them away, wow, if I had all them back I would probably need some type of government clearances to store them....:smile2:

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    savings over store bought ha, i cant even find no rolls at the store.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

:smile2::smile2::smile2:

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    That's not counting the Therapy bill littles ones need after hearing all his "sailor speak" when he forgets the mold is still hot or grabs the wrong end of the ladle. Nor does it count his private room they keep for him at the ER.. :smile2::tounge_out::cool2:

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Believe me when I say this, .... Those molds can get mighty hot and some uggy words have been said a few times, LOL!!! Once you figure out how to avoid injury, it goes pretty smoothly, LOL!!!
    My molds have paid for themselves many times over in the last few years. There ain't nothin better than having a few friends over for a weight making session. Sure you might have to roll up your pantlegs, cause it gets deep at times but, It is worth it.

12. shingman6

shingman6 New Member

State:
    South Carolini
    BOY AM I FINDING IT HARD TO FIND OLD TIRE LEAD! I believe everybody in town is pouring lead. Every place I go to ,says they have people comming to get there lead. I checked on the price of lead at pluming store and they said that it is $16 per 5lbs! Does any one know of a place thats cheaper than 16$ per 5lbs

13. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I don't know how many JW made at NG1 but I ended up with a double handful of which I'm still using and I'm sure lots more still have some. It would save a bundle in the long run if you made your own for sure....and by the way..thanks JW. Hope to see ya again sometime.

14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Same here buddy!!! Glad you managed to get some of those while they lasted. That box I had the lead in has been gone through three times that amount since last september at the national, LOL!! I have probably made over 1000lbs of weights in the last year, most of them given to friends.Was an honor to have met you Chuck, can't wait to see you again too!!!!

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Lead prices have gone nuts. My forklift battery rep was saying battery prices are going up something crazy like 20% because of lead prices skyrocketing (no, really, all of a sudden lead is expensive, I'm serious).

I'm with everyone else, I just enjoy making sinkers and I also couldn't find the style I wanted at at the store. I figure 8oz sinkers are running around 75 cents each and I get (or got, haven't needed any for awhile) my lead for free, so my mold and melting set up paid for itself in the first 50lbs or so I poured. It's fun, just the usual advice, make sure you're in a well ventilated area (especially with wheel weights), make sure all of the spatters are swept up if you have little ones, be REALLY careful to make sure all of your lead, melting vessels, molds are dry, all the stuff you already know that I for some reason feel compelled to say...:wink: Good Luck!

Branden

16. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I joined the weight making group today! My stuff came in, I got two do it flat no roll sinker molds that will cover 1 oz up to 5 oz and the hot pot 2 for my weight making. I have a cast iron skillet and a fish cooking burner to melt down the big stuff into smaller size chunks. I got a 12 muffin pan that I pour my bulk lead into and the small muffin size lead will fit into the hot pot 2 bowl. Now I can get started making weights and not just muffin shaped lead pieces! lol Is there any good advice I need to hear before I start the everyone figured out? I have never made weights before so any help would be appreicated! thanks Ray

17. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Yes Ray, Send me about 50 lbs or so of samples from your first couple pouring sessions. I'll evaluate them for you and tell you if you done good. Thats all I can think of right now. Good Luck. I'll be checking the mailbox.:smile2:

18. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Ray, sometimes the first batch is a wash because the mold is cold and the lead cools too quick. Once you get the mold heated up, you should be good. Also wheelweight lead melts at a higher temp and solidifies quicker because of the alloy they use. I keep a spoon handy for skimming slag/steel clips off the molten lead if I'm using wheel weights. Also, Pam works great for spraying whatever your pouring your bulk lead in. Somebody posted the same thing I do - melt down the lead, get all the crap out of it an pour into muffin tins so the next time I pour I've got good clean metal to start with. I shoot the muffin tin with Pam before pour into them. Same if you start pouring sinkers that have pin like no rolls. Shoot the pins with Pam and they'll come out of the sinkers a LOT easier. Good Luck!

Branden

19. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the advice. I made some weights today and I see the need to get the mold hot! It works great after you get it heated up. I used oil on the pins and muffin tin and nothing has stuck yet! The weights came out good and the ones that dont I throw back into the pot! lol several of the throw back on the first run or two! Some of my lead must be not very good because the weights get to where they crack. It is not pure lead, its a lead off cable wire. anyway they will fish! This is for sure going to be a winter hobbie! I'll do all my weight making when it's cool outside once I get enought weights build to get me by. This 100' temp outside and a burner going is toooo much!!! lol Later