How much per pound?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Phil Washburn, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Ron started a thread asking what your fishing trip costs. My question is: how much does the fish you catch wind up costing per LB? I am going to try to keep tabs a little on that this year for myself.....i suspect that lifetime, it could run into the thousands of dollars per LB.:blink:

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Back when I was a kid, the idea was to catch dinner and you would'nt dream of spending more catching fish then you could buy it for in the store. Now days it's cheaper and healthier to just buy it! I still love fishing though!

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    If I could catch anything then it would be 1 buck per :crying:

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    My head hurts from just thinking about it.

But I am going again so I can close the gap alittle:)

5. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Uggg I dont even want to think about that:sad:

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    now remember, you have to factor in EVERYTHING you bought that you told the wife was for fishing:)

the boat, ALL those rods and reels:eek: ....all tackle..etc., etc.

7. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    Too much! But it's also alot more fun than the grocery store!

8. WhiskerfishLou

WhiskerfishLou New Member

State:
    Northeastern Indiana
    I see a new 12 step prgram on the horizon :eek: . But if I started it, it would turn into 1 step out the back door and 11 steps to the boat!:cool:

9. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Phil you do realize my wife knows how to use a computer and I would suspect many others do to. Do you know what could happen if most of us would actually put in print how much we spend on fishing? This could lead to some very loud conversations in some of the households I know.

So here goes, I don't spend any more than my wife will let me.......Now let me ask her how much she spends,,,,,,Hmmm all she said was go play outside.

10. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I am not goimg to pay $4.75 @ lb. at the store. No way. If you factor in, time with family,friends,away from everyday problems,being alone on the water,bragging rights, and a whole host of other benefits, if you can afford it,, it's cheap (priceless). Take a kid bank fishing/catching and you'll see exactly what it's worth. The good times you have fishing will stay with you forever. Remember fishing with your father? I'm sure most of us do.

When was the last time you went into the grocery store with high expectations?? People say," I gotta go shopping." Fishing is voluntary and something we look forward to. Ever had a hard time getting to sleep the night before you had to go shopping? I doubt it. How many times has someone asked you," How did you do at the grocery store?

Well, I guess you get my drift. :D

11. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    Great question.I hate to actually think about the answer.For example a couple of years ago I bought a cheap little 800 dollar boat,2 years is 730 days so that comes to over a dollar a day,probably spent about 400 in rods and reels in that time period.So thats better than .50 cents a day.At least 200 in bait and line as well thats around 30 cents a day.We are now around 1.80 a day and without going into all the other costs if I would have caught a 10 pounder every week for 2 years it would have been 1.80 a pound.Unfortunately I havnt caught any 10 lbers in that time span and in fact many a trip I get skunked and a 10 lb total weight is a great success.When all is said and done I would guess its about 10 bucks a pound for fish that I catch and release and about 2.59 a pound for the fish that I buy on the way home from a trip that I eat.

12. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I bet I pay somewhere near $10 dollars a pound when you figure in equipment, bait, boat, fuel, and milage.

However I must deductthe following:
    $12- my copay for therapist visits
    $5.0

13. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    oops darn stiking keys. No more PBJ at teh puter

14. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    $60 gym membership
    $9 ticket to some chick flick my wife wanted to see
    $35 copay for drugs to keep me happy and out of jail

So I make money each time I fish.

15. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I would say around $500 per pound.

16. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I think Grumpy is the most honest one here! lol;)

17. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    It's money well spent.

18. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    no matter what, it's still cheaper than therapy, golf, drag racing, gambling, being (oops, I'm already married)

19. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would really hate to think abouy it.If I did i would probably get so depressed that it would most likely take a trip to Bass Pro for a little shopping to get me over my depression.Then I would get home,start thinking about how much I spent at Bass Pro,get depressed... It's an ugly cycle.Well gotta go, I'm getting depressed thinking about this...

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would not try to figure out that cost for anything. I love fishing. I'd hate to have to give it up. I am blessed by my ignorance.