How Much Money Have You Lost Due To Hang-Ups In The Rivers And Lakes??

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by The_Black_Cat, Jan 12, 2010.

1. The_Black_Cat

The_Black_Cat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I haven't been fishing as long as many of my brothers and sisters here. But I sat down on countless occasions and thought about all the weights, swivels, hooks, dip-bait tubes, and endless amounts of fishing lines. To this day I can pretty much say that, not counting two broken fishing rods, three bait casting nets, and three fishing reels, I have lost about 1 if not 2 thousand dollars worth equipment. I don't really keep up with how much I lose, because as soon as I see the fishing pole go crazy I forget what amount I was at.:embarrassed::tongue1:

2. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    There is really no way of telling how much $$$ if spent over the years, but I bet if the wife could figure it out she would go nuts.

A great reason to have some "she money" = money that she doesn't know about!

3. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i dont think i could even begin to put a price on it i know its a good bit . Its the same way with shooting in which i like to shoot trap and i know theres been thousands of dollars the went thru my gun barrel

4. The_Black_Cat

The_Black_Cat New Member

State:
    Texas

:Happy:LOL!! Yea you got a point there!! :Happy: LOL!!

5. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Well I try not to think about that, all I do know is that it would average about $800 a year for teminal gear not counting line on the reels ( just switched over to braid on all my reels). Now that I added Steelhead fishing this last year I would say add another $300 to $400 a year onto the cost of bait & i would guess I spend $1500-$2000 a year on fishing (gas/bait/terminal gear) I just spent almost $800 on rods & reels this last 3 months to upgrade all my gear & plan on adding 2 more reels & rods by the summer at a cost of &200-$300 each (bigger reels & heavy poles for Stugeon /getting interested in that as well).:soldier:

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

No actual idea,but I know it,s a lot!:rolleyes::weep:

7. Zero

Zero New Member

State:
    SC
    More than I would like to admit, but as most of my cat fishing is done with Carolina rigs on sinkers I pour myself for next to free, a $8.00 spool of mono for leaders, a pack of 144 swivels for like 8 bucks, and a hook, I don't loose too much when I break off. When I'm serious about it in the summer time, I can go through a half pound of $45/lb line in no time.

A cast net is the way to go if you can catch your own bait.

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i cant begin to know for sure....

if i add in things like gas and upgrades etc. i know its in the thousands...

9. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I'd estimate about $500USD for 2009. There was this one spot that seemed to be an unending snag. Even bobber fishing , I'd get snagged. I've yet to land a monster there , but it's worth it in practice for when I actually hook and land it!!

10. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    like everyone else i lose plenty...i kinda make up fpr it by checking lakes in winter before the ice forms.....after the weeds die off...i've found so many lures , bobbers yeah even lead weights along the shore...after the weeds die off they let go of alot of their treasures lol...i do bass fish also so the lures i find usually just need cleaned up or at the most some new hooks

11. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I only bank fish the river and I have certainly lost a load of sinkers and swivels, but by far the most consistent expense for me continues to be cast nets and sabiki rigs. I go through a lot of each casting and throwing from the bank each year.

12. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    I just started this past summer and I'd guess, at least $200.

13. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    :hypnotized::hypnotized::laugh1::laugh1: I do know for 30yrs of catfishing I could have bought a small house:laugh1:

14. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

With a pool and a new truck and boat in the driveway!:moneymouth:

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The spots I fish are not real snaggy, although there are snags nearby...My main hole has very little structure, but holds alot of big flatheads at times.

I spend more money on castnets each year than anything else...I probably go thru 7-8 nets a year.

The thing I hate most is loseing almost a whole spool of line when I snag up after a long cast, I hate to leave all that line in the river.

Depending on how much I fish, I probably lose 30-50 rigs a year.

16. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    No telling how much I lost over the years, one thing for certain is your gonna lose it all through the years you just have to keep stocking up

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    My opinion is that if your not getting hung up and sometimes loosing tackle, your not fishing in the right place. All the lost tackle is your contribution to the sport.

18. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, I would imagine a bit of $$$

But, I think, It's just the cost of doing "Business"!!

I told someone onetime, that everything in the tacklebox gonna probably be left in the water at some point...

I think for me,, I've written it off at the point of purchase...:Happy:

19. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    The places I fish are full of peoples tackle,and alot of mine as well.

20. The_Black_Cat

The_Black_Cat New Member

State:
    Texas

You know I heard somewhere, I can't really remember were. But the saying mentions that being persistent pays off, maybe one of these days you might think that your line is snagged. When in reality its the big one that you've been waiting for.