How much line to use

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by field989, Apr 7, 2007.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    ok i really like power pro but it seems i can only find it in 150yard quanities... would this be enough line or should i stick to 300 yard???
    i use abu 6500 and 5500 reels...

thats 300 feet of line... which is quite a bit but i dont know i am having a hard time deciding

Thanks

Jeff

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    150 yards of line will last a little while depending on where you fish and how many times you get hung up. Me personally I would stick with 300

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well the only thing thats keeping me from getting 300yd is $$

its twice as much... becuz its got 2times the ammt of line lol

but where i fish i have Rarely If EVER get snagged... i cant even remember the last time i got hung up...

i was mainly concerned about casting distance and havn enough line to be able to catch a big fish and not run out of line

Jeff

4. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i dont use braided line put honestly i dont see you getting 300 yards on a 6500 or 5500 expecially if your getting like 50 pound id say she would be full with 150 i know i have 2 abu garcias 6500 and i got like 200 yards of 20 pound mono and shes full hope this helps

5. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i use 45yds. of 40 pound big cat then 150 yards of spider wire original 50 pound on my reels. ill need to put more spider wire on it eventually this year since theres alot of snags in a few places i fish. but if you fish a sandy or muddy bottem then you should be fine.

6. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    50 pound braid has the equivalant to i think 12 pound mono? so i think youd be able to fill it up with 300 yards. it might be pushing it but your be able to do it. i dunno i could be wronge on that tho.

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana

well this power pro 50lb equals like 12lb mono? so ill have alot of extra space on the reel

i dont know i might just stop being a tight wad and get the 300 yard

Thanks

Jeff

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Quit being tight a tight butt.LOL! Go for the 300 yards and you won't be sorry.If the end you use gets faded or weaker,strip it all off and put it back on the opposite way.It'll be like a brand new spool.:cool2:
    :0a26:

PS~ If its 2 spools,be sure you tie them together with a really GOOD knot!!!

9. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well as of right now my pp line is faded but seems to be still storng... but i could care less what it looks like as long as it stilll holds good and strong... so should i flip er around then???

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I've read on here that you can flip it around and the other end will look and be like new.Its up to you if you wanna do it. I'd say someone that uses it and knows more than I do will chime in.I just have read that on here a couple places.I heard it'll last pretty much as long flipped around so you get twice the life out of it if you do it.
    Sorry if by chance I'm wrong...

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    If you can afford to buy s the larger spools of power pro, I tip my hat to ya. LOL!

12. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I buy my power pro line in 500 yd. spools off of ebay. If you watch what you're doing,you can get some pretty good buys. You mentioned something about 300 ft.,which would be 100 yd.,so if you bought a 300 yd. spool and put 100 yd. on your reel you would have enough line to do 3 reels. I think the larger spool you buy will also cost you less money than buying 2 small spools of the same line. Check ebay out and see what you can come up with.
    Glenn

13. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    BTW,what are you paying for a 150 yd. spool of 50# power pro? I bought a 500 yd. spool of 65# power pro off of ebay for $28.00 plus $4.25 shipping.

14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    150 yards = 450' of line, that with a 20 yard mono backing would give you 510ft of fighting room. If your drag system on your reel can't stop him in that distance you have lost him anyway!!!

15. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    thats the aspect i was thinking of...

cuz even a 25lb cat dont pull a WHOLE lotta line out... maybe like 10-20 feet of line

then the cast which kinda depends on how far u can cast

Jeff

16. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    Most any of the braid superlines will tell you to back them up on the spool with monofilliment to prevent the line from slipping on the spool. I put about 1/4" of 20 lb test mono on my big reels then top them off with Power Pro 80#

17. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I put 220yards of #20 spiderwire EZ on my brand new Abu 6000. Is this too much? It is level with the spool.

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    First off save up enough to buy a larger spool from E-bay 500 or 1500 or whatever. Second move up to 65 or 80lb, It has better abrasion res. than 50 or less. I use the 80 on my 7000 Abus. I put on about 75 yrds of 20lb mono backing and place a strip of electrical tape over it, then tie on the pro. This gives me around 200 yds of line to cast and play a fish. If I get spooled with 200 yds then the anchor is coming up. This will be my third year with the same line, it is a bit faded on the last 100 ft but it was still holding fine at the end of last year so I'll try it again this year. If it starts breaking I'll flip it around. I don't use the power pro as my leader material, I use 80lb spiderwire fusion, it has a coating that I can detect nicks and scrapes with.

19. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A 6500 holds 245 yards of 14 lb mono. If you have the 150 yard spool or just don't want to invest in a 300 yard or larger spool, put on mono first, until you have enough spool left for your braided, then finish with the braided. You can join the lines with a Uni or other knot. Doubtful you'll run into the mono very often.

20. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would stick with the 300 yard spools. Try Catfish Connection for the 300 yard spools or Cabelas and Bass pro.