How much is that ammo in the window?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by jedimanhunter, Jul 5, 2008.

1. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    I found myself as Bass Pro the other day. I looked down as saw a 25lb bag of chilled lead shot for 59.99. I began to wonder what it cost to reload 12 ga from their prices

25 lb's shot loading 1 1/8 ounce gets you 355 shells per bag
    box of 1000 primers @ 39.99 cost you .04 each
    Bag of 500 wads @ 14.99 cost you .03 each
    1 lb powder = 7000 grains @ 20.00
    12 ga with 20grains you can load 350 shells

You can load 14 boxes of 25 before you run out of powder @ 20 gr ea

25 lb shot 59.99 $59.99
    350 primers @ .04ea $14.00
    350 wads @ .03ea $10.50
    1-lb powder $20.00

Sub total $104.49
    Plus Sales Tax

A box of AA shells @ walmart 7.57 if I remember correctly they were 5.57 last year.

$7.57 X 14 boxes 105.98 plus sales tax

How many boxes do i have to load to pay for a mec 9000G and my time

This assumes you already had the hulls. I hope I figured something wrong.

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive been noticing that as well. Reloading isnt the cost saver it used to be. I used to be able to reload for a 1/3 of new ammo, than half now its around 2/3. I think you can save more though by loading premium rounds. I think we are slowly being disarmed by price of ammo and inflation.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The post I made in reference to the cost of reloading is somewhere in cyberspace now I think. But it is getting higher and higher,I wonder if the LIBs have anything to do with it?:wink:

4. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I think it should also be taken into account that BPS is often a little:crazy: higher on their products than other people. But it may be offset if you are having it shipped. Im getting ready to order some 44 mag bullets and the cheapest I found them is 10.5 cents a piece, thats one of the biggest costs of reloading for that round. I switched powders to shooter lighter loads, no more bear killers for me. There are some hand loading calculators on the net. Right now it says Im paying 37 cents a load for my 44 mag shells. But I dont that it takes into account this is the 2-3 loads in the brass, ya might have to do your own math for those. My 06 is about the same I believe but Im loading mostly ballistic tips which is more expensive than soft points.

Went to a gun show last month and there prices were higher than the online stores. I dont mind paying a buck or two extra per pound of powder but some were $5 more, thats ridiculous. It pays to shop around if ya can.

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i bought the winchester super speed extras last year. they were the same price for 5 boxes as the 100 pack of federals. now there $5.27 a box and the 100 pcks are $20.88. so now the 100 pack are the best deal. the cheapies are higher now than permium. im loading up. 100 a week.

p.s. i never buy from BPS. way yo high for me. everything they sell can be gotton cheaper else where.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think it would pay to check out midwayusa on ammo as well as components. I recieve flyers from them as well as weekly emails when ever they have special deals. They are very competitive ,price wise.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Cost is certainly an aspect of reloading that is getting nearly to the break even point as opposed to factory loads. That being said, with reloading, you can experiment with your loads to see what works best in your particular firearm. Even with the high cost of reloading nowadays, many folks I know prefer to tailor their loads to their own specks. I expect that even if reloading was HIGHER than factory loads, many folks would still reload due to the above mentioned point.
    Bill in SC

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages

Careful, the M** might be watching. Ive been stocking up myself. :cool2:

9. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    You need to find a local supplier. They are usually cheaper.

Lead here locally has begun to come down. You can get it for 37 for 25 lbs.
    Cheddite primers are 19. Powder at the illinois state trap shoot was 94$ for 8 lbs., red dot or green dot. Wads run around 8 bucks for 500 of the down range windjammer wad.

If you need hulls go to your local shooting club. Most of the time you can pick up or scrounge out of the trash more hulls than you can ever use.

Another thing. If you are trap shooting try lighter loads on the 20 yard line and under. I use 7/8 oz of 8 or 9 shot. They smoke ball the target if you do your job. Also if target shooting you dont need really fast loads. 1145 FPS will do wonders, which requires less powder most of the time 17 to 17.5 grains of powder. Check your reloading manual and weight the powder charge before assuming that the bushing you have will drop the amount it is supposed to. Powder density changes with the weather and the lot number.

If you want good shells for a cheap price check out the other brands, estate, remigton gun club, Rio, centurion, ect. These will cost alot less than winchester double AAs , fedral gold medals, or remington STS shells.
    Just a few thoughts.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i shot a lot of the russian made monarch shotshells during last dove season, along with the usual super speeds. in all four of the shotguns i used, the monarchs seemed to hit harder and pattern better, for $1.50 less a box. i won't even get into reloading at these prices, as it won't even pay for itsself anymore. i just shoot the factory ammo my gun wants to eat. if prices stay the way they are, which i'm sure they will, plinking is out of the question with anything but my .22's.

11. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    I dont guess I noticed the russian shotshells. My go to off the shelf was the AA #9 they used to has a 1-piece hull that was good for reloads then they changed them a few years ago but they still loaded good.

In my area there is not alot to pick from, Walmart or Walmart unless I drive 40 miles to another Walmart, the high dollar Bass Pro or a bit farther to an Academy Sports. There are gun shows every few months but that is not a place for shotgun shells.

12. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I ordered a bunch of catalogs from different sites and so far Ive been very impressed with midsouth shooters supply. If I remember right I found 44 mag bullets for 8.5 cents a piece. They were also cheaper on a lot of the things Ive been looking for. I get to go to another gun show in a couple weeks so Ill have a shopping list with prices. The local stores around here are ridiculous on prices and the gas to get there, well its cheaper having it shipped. Ill also be looking for a target 22 pistol or maybe a bolt action 223. I need some cheaper plinkers.

13. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Jeff
    Try and find a lcoal trap range or Sporting clays course. Most of them can tell you a good place to get reloading supplies. If nothing else, around here there are dealers that sell out the back of thier trucks at shoots. Maybe they will be having a shoot some one will be at selling shells and reloads.

14. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Brian. Mid south is a great place. My local dealer buys most everything from them. Ask them about shipping. On the local dealers orders over 300$ the shipping is free.

15. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Lock stock and barrel was the cheapest until I found Midsouth. Midsouth claims they arent making money on shipping, which if true I like a lot. I made the mistake of ordering from Natchez and they added extra on to the shipping with freight and all that, what they quoted wasnt what they originally quoted. Will never order from them again.

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think we're all in agreement that the days of cheaply rolling our own are long past ,huh?

17. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have bought a good bit at natchez shooter supply if the HAZMAT surcharge does not come into play. I believe the site is
    www.natchezss.com

I bought a lee 20lb melter at lock stock and barrel a couple of weeks ago to roll out some weights. That dude works great. I think if your not already into loading its gonna be hard to justify getting into it however the election may dictate otherwise.

I dont understand what is up with the gun show peeps either. There are what I call the local shows that I go to is Dallas area. I loaded up and went to the FT Worth show an extra 50 miles. It advertized it was the largest show in in texas or something to that effect with 1000 tables.

They might have had 500 and out that half of those looked like a trades day of everything but gun related items. The gun peeps gave me sticker shock there. Was not a deal in the whole place with the exception of 50mm ammo cans. Like new shape for 7.00 a copy and they used to be 5.00 all day long. I aint never going threre again. My typing looks green after i typed that web addy.

18. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Yeah I dont buy anything hazmat related online, I aint paying another $20 for shipping. Ill just pay a dollar or two more at a gun show for my powder and primers. I couldnt agree more on the gun shows lately. Even the guys walking around selling privately are dang near off their rockers. The last show I went to I would have gotten took if my step dad wasnt there. Was looking at a SS 22 Mark II pistol used, another 25-50 I could buy it new. You almost need someone at home to look up prices for you before you buy anything.

19. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    $407.15 thats what i paid today for 1000 rds of pmc bronze in .223. and i am sure it is going to get much worse in the near future.

20. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just as soon as the media even hints about another weapons ban, ammo restriction like leads illegal in weights 1/2 oz and under in NY and right down to the .22 here recently in CA. It will go up due to the feeding frenzy on the ammo. They will have a "Shortage" again.

You have the government tell common joe " You cant have that cow turd it will be banned next year" Old joe will do everything in his power to get him some cow turds. Joe will want it that much more and probably never would have if he knew he could have it anytime he wants it.

People don't like big brother to regulate them for no reason. I would probably be one of the first ones jumping up and down wavin my cow turd hollering look what i got. get you some of that. hehehe