How much hp ?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by lance, Dec 5, 2008.

1. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have a 16ft quinchita john boat with styrofoam blow in the sides how much motor do I need ? It says no more than 4.6 people at 150lbs. I don't have alot of money and was wondering how low of hp I can go . It had a 78 merc. 40 hp and the repair shop wanted a 1000.00 to replace the wiring harness from the ignition to motor and the inside wiring harness and I don't have that kind of money to replace something that old. If there is anyone who might this motor it's in my garage free of charge if you wanna come get !:smile2: It will have the steering console provided with it . I wanna go to a tiller steer to reduce the amount of exposed wires cables etc. just waiting to dry rot on me . It has brand new steering and throttle cables too ! I am not mechanically inclined so I am not gonna try and fix it myself ! thanks for any help !

2. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    it really does not take much to move a boat ..I have an old bayliner mosquito and use a 4hp evinrude to tool around and troll, i even pulled a 24' hiwaian day cruiser to the dock with only the 4hp

But it is slow how fast do you want to go and how much current or wind you fight will tell you how much hp you need

Now for rotted wires ..if it still works and the insulation is rotted off just apply good GE siliconeII to the wires ,,Thus making new insulation.. the old 75 merc in my bayliner has had it that way for over 10 years now..

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It may be a solution except that there is wire corrosion in the mer-control box as well . I had it started then it wouldn't restart. This motor was never run hard just worn out . As for current I probably don't have much worry cause the river I fish doesn't have much current in summer and I take my young kids and well.. won't risk it . I do like to jug fish some and would like to be able to cover a few miles viewing the KY river palasades with my wife and kids which brings up a question of gas consumption. Will a 10hp run a few miles on a tank ? would I posssibly need a spare tank?

4. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    Hi,Lance a 10 HP will get you there and back and you will not kill yourself on gas when the price goes back up like we all know it will.
    I would say one five or six gallion tank should do.
    I used a 7.5 on a 16ft Home made Jon boat to drag for mucsel shells and got the job done never went any place fast but always got there and back on 5 gallion.
    Now I think about it that was about 34 years ago now I feel old:sad2:
    If you are serious about getting rid of the old stuff let Me know I would realy like to get it.

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    How much horsepower depends on wind, current, and how fast you wanna go. I Have a 1448 jon boat with 25hp 2 stroke on it. I fished a small river this year that the current was terrible. With 3 people in the boat, I could idle the motor in gear and go backwards instead of forwards. How much horsepower would it have taken to overcome the current? I'm not sure, but I would have wanted more than a 4 or 6 hp. What would have happened if I had a headwind on top of that current?

How fast do you wanna go? If you're alright with putt-putting around then you wont need much motor at all. If you want the boat to plane out, you will probably need more power.

I am from the "bigger is better" train of thought. If my boat planes out easily i dont hafta run it full throttle all the time. Because of this, my boat gets just as good if not better fuel economy than my buddies boat of similar size with a smaller motor. Its also easier on my motor, because i rarely run mine full throttle (I open it up once in a while to clear the carbon). With the weather the way it is here, I also like to be able to get up and go if a storm suddenly pops up, especially if i'm miles from the boat ramp.

I've have also pulled larger boats with small motors. Dad's 12' aluminum boat has bulled a 26 foot pontoon with just its little 6hp motor. We weren't going anywhere very fast though.

6. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    You probably don't need much motor to fish the water you talked about but if you want to run a few miles it will take a little time. You might want to check out the local classifieds or boatshops for a good used motor. You just might find exactly what your looking for. i have a 25 hp merc on my crappie boat and it handles the river current just fine and is fast enough for me.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I go along with the philosophy of putting the largest motor on the boat that you can legally hang on the transom. Even the 200 HP motors will put put where you can go slow, but have the power/speed if and when you need it. If your data plate don't tell you what the max HP is for your boat, there is a formula in the Library you can use to determine max HP. Let your wallet decide what you can put on there. I had a 14' Sea King with a 5 HP motor and it would almost plane. Think it did with a 71/2. LOL

8. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I agree with Awshucks, I think I can speak for most of us boat owners here to when I say you'll always be looking for a bigger boat! haha well it's the same principle with the engines. Go as big as your wallet allows, but don't buy some piece of junk that you don't know whether you'll be able to get home. Or you can use my old motto, when in doubt, go upriver.:tounge_out: The pros of having a larger motor far outweigh the assets of a small outboard. My old motor would only get the boat on plane when I was by myself. If I brought 2 other friends along, the thing would just make a huge wake. Now we kneeboard behind it! see the difference? The boat will be overall more usable if you go with a larger motor, and will be able to handle larger bodies of water. I would stick to a 25 2-stroke at the least!

9. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Also, Yamaha 25hp 2-strokes have tons of available parts for them I'm sure. They are a top-notch engine in my book, althought I run a 20hp Tohatsu :)

10. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

I love my Yammie 25hp 2 stroke. Just winterized her, so i guess my second season with her is over. Sips gas, easiest pull start boat motor i've ever started, usually starts on first pull if she's ran in the last 3 or 4 weeks (only takes a couple more pulls if she hasn't). Nothing but good to say about them.

I hear those Tohatsu's are good engines too.....dont they make some engines for mercury?

11. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    My boat is rated for up to a 40hp . But my wallet has the final say really . The river I fish is probably 100yds. wide at most no barge traffic and LOTS of trees here there and everywhere on the banks in the middle .... I don't think I would be running fast too often even the lakes I fish some are Idle only no matter the size of motor . I don't need to go fast but would like to go more than put put. My trolling motor worked ok this summer I got no where fast and could round up my jugs ok . 2 batteries and the trolling motor just is not quite cutting it tho. I probably would use the gas motor daylight mostly and trolling motor at night mostly . Thanks to all that have given some imput I appreciate it .

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    "If"a 12 volt trolling motor will do the job,a 2 hp.gas motor will.I know as I have had both on the same boats.I have even run both at the same time on the boats.

I was raised with a huge cypress work boat 6 ft.wide,16 ft long and 3 ft.sides that I climbed over like a board fence.My motor was a 1 1/2 hp.Evenrude Ranger with a bolt limiting the speed to start.I could go at a good walk on the still waters of Lake Marion SC.

I have carried a 2 hp.motor with me in my boat as a "get me back" for over 40 years now.I have used it in salt and fresh water.With and against the currents in boats up to heavy 16 ft.NOW we do not have the currents of mountain and hilly rivers!I have also used it as a carry along motor to use on rental boats.Many folks seeing the motor size have loaned me boats.

I too ran smaller motors for many years until I could afford a larger one.Buy a good portable that you can afford,take care of it and you can still have it to use 30 years later as I still have mine.Mine cranked and ran fine for 30 minutes in a barrel two weeks ago.Now it is a 2 cycle.I have a great 50+ year old 2 cycle lawn mower that is far older hanging on the wall.Worked great a couple of years ago when hung there.It is a good thing too.I have no idea where you could find a part for it!