How much fishing pressure can our waters take?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by flathunter, Jul 11, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I cant speak for other states, just Ohio..But what I have seen in the last several years is a dramatic increase in the number of people fishing..This can be both good and bad, good if the state stocks more waters with catfish, good if people practice selective harvest, bad if the fish population just dwindles away...Back in the mid 1980's when I started fishing for flathead catfish you could drive for miles along my favorite river and never see another fisherman..Now, it seems you cant go 100 yds without seeing groups of fisherman, and the spots that I used to consider very out of the way, are now flooded with people..It has me concerned, and also eagerly awaiting fall fishing when most of the people hang it up around labor day.

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Ive noticed the same here in Jersey I fish some pretty far off the beatin path spots and Im starting to see signs that Im not the only one fishing them any more Ive even started Comflageing my spots when Im there and when I leave Hide my trails now I know its extreme but when you live in this state good spots are hard to come by

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Flathunter all we can do is try and preach CPR as much as we can. Hope for the best after that. Good luck on the water brother.

4. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    well flat if you would stop fishin that would be one less person mabe u should try that :)

5. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Yah youd be a martyr for the cause LOL

6. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    here in my area waters, i've seen both. more people fishing and alot more people into the water sports. like flathunter, early spring and (late fall) is my best times of the year, for the best fishing and less pressure on my best areas to fish.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think we would have a lot more problems if fish were like humans and could only pop one or two out in a nine month period. By more people fishing, more of the smaller fish are harvested, leaving more food for the bigger ones to eat. Ever notice in a pond that the owners won't let anyone fish how stunted the fish are, and what an overpopulation of small fish there are? Being fished is good for a body of water - long as it is done responsibly.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jack first of all I would like to commend you and MELLON for your contributions.By failing to catch any fish within recent memory the two of you have set the example for the rest of the Ohio fishermen!!:big_smile: :lol: On a serious note it would be interesting for someone to take a look at some statistics at the national and state level as to how many fishing licenses are being sold.I know hunting has dropped some in recent years and perhaps fishing has gone up.In any case its not the fishermen per se that cause the problem its those that actually "Catch" fish.You and MELLON have made the ultimate sacrifice and excluded yourselves from this group so you pose no threat to Ohio fish populations.Not sure how much commercial fishing you have there.As long as a State considers catfish a game species and manages them with limits and/or a stocking problem they will be ok I think.:smile2: