How much fishing line capacity do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kyelkhunter3006, Nov 2, 2008.

How much line do you prefer to have on your reel?

1. At least 100 yds

2. 150-200 yds

3. More than 200 yds

4. More than 300 yds

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Just curious as to how much line most people like to have on their reels?

It seems that the ABU 6000 and 7000 series reels are the most popular by far for trophy fishing, yet they aren't really what I'd call high capacity reels.

The 6000 size holds roughly 150yds of 20lb mono, even less as the lb test goes up. The 7000 holds 200yds of 30lb line, considerably more than a 6000, yet again, as you get in the heavy lines, you lose capacity.

How much line do you think you need to cover most situations you encounter while fishing?

The exception is long rods from shore that need long distance casting, obviously, the more line you have the better off you are when you need a 100yd cast to get past the first lock at the dam.:wink:

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like 150 to 200 yds of 30# Big game

3. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I like 100-300 yds. of 30 lb. If I need more on a reel,I use braid.

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ON MY SMALLER BASS COMBOS I HAVE ABOUT 100YDS OF 12 LB MONO AND MY BIGGER STRIPER TROLING / BIG CATFISH COMBOSTHERES LIKE 150YDS OF 30 OR 210 YDS OF 20

5. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    I like a lot of line. AT LEAST 200 yds. In heavy current, if you hook up with a big one, you will need it.:wink:

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fish from the bank with long rods and I prefer the larger capacity reels. I have several large Okuma reels that hold 330 yrds of 30 # and 500 yrds of 20 #....I fish with the 20# line and 500yards.....so I can make the longer casts and still have enough line to land a monster fish. I would just hate to get spooled on the fish of a life-time.:cool2:

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post.

8. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I personnaly think if you're fishing from shore you would be better off with a spinning outfit. They usually have larger line capacity. Using braid on spinning outfits cast farther also. Most 50 lb. braids have a diameter of 12 lb. mono so you'll have plenty of line.

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i use cheep t20 shakespears and 65 lb.power pro in 300 yard spools.i do a lot of bank fishing where i use the wind to take my bait out as much as 250 yards.i use power pro for its line dia.plus it floats.

10. PiscMonkey

PiscMonkey New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Under 150 yards for me as I've been fishing on bank with others & alone and in boats of others since 2006 latellys. :cool2:

11. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    200yds at the very least a long cast takes almost half and hook a decent fish and he pulls some no less than 200yds

12. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    My biggest worry with not using enough line besides the obvious of been spooled. Is two or three snags and your down to about 60 yards of line in no time. I took my Abu Garcia 6500 to get spooled and was a little surprised it only holds 102 yards of 25lb test. I guess after a few snags you could tie on a few yards of extra line. Or sit there and re-spool the whole reel. With a spinning reel that would be no problem just pop in the extra spool. I guess maybe put an extra spool in your trunk. Just a couple things to consider.

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    On most of my baitcast reels I have about 220 yds. The reel may hold a bunch more, but, I've never even come close to using it all. Mostly I like the reserve for breaking off snags, etc.
    My longest casts are about 60 yds... leaves plenty for playin' 'm.
    However, would like the problem of potentially getting spooled....:smile2:

14. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    My reels hold 300yds of 30# Western XP tuff line. If I break off I still have plenty. And it casts really well and as it wares you remove it and rewind it from the other end. It save money to flip it on the reel that way it lasts longer. Plus if you have to you can cut off a bad lenght off of the reel and still be good to go.

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I like to have as close to 150-200 yards as I can. I really doubt I will ever get spooled because I'm not going out far from the boat ( no more than 100' out ) or from the shore . If anything I need that much line because of beak-offs ..... 600' is a lot of line .

16. BAREFOOTFISHN

BAREFOOTFISHN New Member

State:
    SC
    I USE BRAIDED LINE BECAUSE YOU CAN GET TWICE THE AMOUNT ON A VERSE MONO GOOD LUCK

17. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i like at the least 200 yards

18. Katslayeroh

Katslayeroh New Member

State:
    ohio
    No less than 275 yards for me.Although my old special senator reel has about 600 yards of 30 lb big game i use for balloon fishing .I either fish in heavy current or in a lake casting up to 150 yards in 40' of water.So i like high capacity reels.And i only use mono.Braid is too high maint. for me.

19. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i load up about 150 yards of 80# braid on my 4500 shimano

20. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Unless you're fishing deep and in heavy current you don't need any more than about 100yds. I spool up my 6000's with 30lb mono and that's not even 100yds I don't think. You're not casting that far anyways if you're fishing from a boat and no matter what anybody says, there ain't nobody that can cast even close to 100yds. Not with a rig and bait and all, just not going to happen. If you've got a big piece of bait and a 4-10oz sinker you'd be lucky to get it 60ft.

However, in heavy current though you need the extra line capacity b/c in a 60ft hole with the current ripping you don't want to have a 20yrds of line left and have a biggun' hit:wink: