How much does the moon phase really effect the fish bite?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Ghost River, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Like the rest of you I have always heard to be fishing the 5 days leading up to the full moon. In your experience does this old adage hold water or is it like the fact that big catfish only eat really dead, rotting skinking stuff- just another myth?

2. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I am reasonably new to catfishing, but my experiences last summer seemed to be much better with little or no moon. A little wind and chop seemed to help as well. On full moon nights with still water all I caught was good view. It will be interesting to see what others have to say.

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I gave up fishing during a full moon years ago. in my humble opinion moon phases affect both fishing and hunting. My Grandfather used to shoot a lot of jack rabbits and make sausage out of the meat. He would save the innards in one gallon pickle jars and let it sit in the sun with the top off. When you could see the maggotts crawling through it i knew we would be going fishing soon. It was a gagging experience to say the least, but it worked very well. When i was a kid you didnt spend hard earned money on bait, you made your own or you didnt go fishing.:big_smile:

4. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    Sounds delightful! I bet you didn't chew your finger nails for a few days after a fishing trip. Thanks for the moon tip.

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    "How much does the moon phase really effect the fish bite?"

My answer would be: As much or as little as you think it does.
    Although there are many guys (some of whom have abilities I respect and are really good catfishers) that believe that the moon affects the bite there has also been a lot of good fish caught when they shouldn't have been according to the moon phase.
    A few years back I was driving down to Santee Cooper and en route called a guy I know down there to let him know we were coming. He said something like "You know it's a full moon? If I were you I wouldn't bother coming down" That trip we caught a 57, a 52, several in the 40's, several in the 30's and a whole bunch more.
    I go fishing whenever I can...W

6. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Well see we've always been told that the best fishing was the week before until the 3 days after the full moon.

7. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Here’s an old post from a thread covering the moon phase. Check out the whole thread, some great stuff there and lots of experience expressed. My observation deals with the bait fish, which are very much affected and concentrated during moon phases. It creates an all you can eat environment for the catfish. Here’s the post…
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=517311#post517311

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have friends that will not fish when the almanac says the fish wont bite. he also uses some computer program to tell him when to fish. He claims it is accurate down to the hour. My PB blue was caught on a "terrible" day from what his program said.

I believe that the moon may have some affect on fish feeding but it cannot be very dramatic.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You know, I used to think that a full moon meant no fish until I learned more about cat fishing. I don't care if the moon is up or not if you are not fishing in the right areas, cover, depth, water temperatures, baits etc. you wont be successful, maybe lucky once in awhile. Just think, I used to blame it on the moon! lol
    The one and most important thing I have learned about moon phases and fishing is, fish wont bite if you don't have a line in the water! If you don't go out on nights of a full moon then you can assure your self that they don't bite. Now if you want to live on the edge like Metalman go for it, I do! lol:lol: And I don't believe that any time on the water is wasted, catch a fish or not. :big_smile:

10. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Wow Jack,
    Never thought of myself as living on the edge. Sounds kinda cool:cool2: ...W

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I don`t think it makes any diference on fish feeding put the right bait in front of him and he will bite if he`s hungry:big_smile:

12. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have heard from many sources that the moon phases do show a correlation with fish being caught. Ive also heard form many source its just wishful thinking.

From my personal experience it doesnt have any effect. I can remember quite a few trips where we went out thinking "Hey the moon is full, we should catch something" and not caught anything. And other times we caught the whole lake out. I can remember 3 times just this last year my uncle said "The moon and weather is perfect for catching catfish", and we didnt catch any more than normal, or even less than normal.

These are the facts/opinions that I believe are accurate: Catfish are going to eat on a regular basis. This means catfish are going to be caught weather it's warm out, cold out, raining, snowing, high pressure, low pressure, dought, flooding, full moon, or not. You just have to find them, and what they are willing to eat.

13. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    Good input! Heavy on common sense and light on science and biology. I never was much for wurd lurnin' and such. I agree that most of the battle is finding them and wooing them with the correct bait. Now if I could only figure out how to do that.....

14. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    It all depends if you are fishing day or night. The moon needs to be overhead, whether it is day or night, so a full moon for night fishing is much preferred to a full moon when day fishing.