How much does it weigh ?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Mac-b, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Some striper fishermen from LKN are fishing Watts Barr today and caught themselves a nice Ark. Blue. They said the fish peaked out at fifty on a fifty pound scale before they could get all of the fish off the boat deck. They said that it was 48 inches in length and had a girth of 36 inches. Anybody have any ideas how much this cat would weigh. Mac

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    51 lbs????????

I don't have a clue Mac.

Thats the danger of not carrying a big enough scale. All you can call it for sure is a 50 pounder.

I'm taking a wild stab at around 65-70 lbs but I think it can differ greatly with just a little different body style of the fish. Some are all gut, some are firmer in the body and tail. Who knows????

For reference an 85-4 was 52 inches in length and 38 inches in girth.

I always seem to forget to take measurements before sliding the big ones back in the water. I don't even know what my bigger cats measured??????

3. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    I just got an e-mail from a friend that caught a 48" blue with a girth of 35" on the James River in Dec. 2007 and it weighed 78 pounds.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Mac I just pulled out my general fish weight formula of Girth x Girth x Lenght Divided by 800 and came up with 77.7 lbs.Sounds about right.I can tell you that fish is exactly 15.7 lbs bigger than any catfish I have caught so far.:big_smile::wink::crazy::roll_eyes:

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Mac i caught a blue 47in long with a girth of 34 in it weighted 52# also caught one 53 inlong with 37in girth ,it weighted 68# :0a26:

6. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Jim, these fellows that caught it were striper fishing and had caught some stripers in the twenty range and a few teens. Then this blue hit and all heck broke loose. They were using 20 pound test line, with a Abu Garcia 6500 on an Eagleclaw seven foot rod.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I'll bet they had a good time.I was fishing for smallmouths one night on Percy Priest in TENN.Around 3 am or so as I was half dozing ,running the trolling motor and casting away with my spinning outfit on which I had 6lb test line.I had this tremendous crashing hit on a spinnerbait and I was convinced I had hooked the new worlds record smallmouth,in fact I was rehearsing my acceptance speach :big_smile::smile2:Turns out to be a 22lb+ striper and he and I went round and round that rockpile for about 20 minutes.Darndest fight I had had up to that point!!!!!!!:smile2::big_smile:

8. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I would say that fish is in the 55-65 lb. range.

9. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well, all the known length/girth postings in fact show that a Blue Cat's weight can vary wildly based on similiar length/girth measurements. Calculations can at best be a wild guess.

Still....... A darn nice Blue Cat!

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    For a few years a buddy and I tested the GxGxL/800 formula on blue cats. We would weigh the fish on a trustworthy scale and also take the length and girth with a tape (plastic seamstress tape works great for this - I always keep one in my catfish bag). The formula was always within about 10% of the measured wieght and tended to underestimate the weight on bigger blues, say over 40 pounds. I have also applied the formula to several big blues from record fish articles, etc, where they gave length, girth, and weight, and it was always a little bit low on those, too.

The formula says that fish was in the 77 pound neighborhood. Nice fish!

11. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    the fish calculator Lengthxgirthxgirth divided by 800 with a 5% error margin,thats the formula for fish in general,should put that bad boy around 77#

12. WillyZ

WillyZ New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like they had a great day of fishing, thanks for the report!

WillyZ

13. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    LNB great fish congrats. Where is Watts Barr at on the lake if you do not mind me asking lower, middle, upper, or river? Thanks!

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    More than any fish I ever Caught. Someday I will and I will be stuck with the same problem????? Do they make a fish scale that goes higher?

15. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Coffey Marketing (a sponsor on this site) has an accurate 110 lb scale and a 220 lb scale. I have the 220 lb'er because I am an optimist!:big_smile: (And I hope to max it out with a big ole BLUE):smile2: Okay, thats not realistic but a guy can dream

16. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I can understand someone fishing for striper not having a scale over 50#. When I bought a 50# scale, I didn't think I would ever catch one that big. I think I bottomed it out 2 or 3 days later.:embarassed: About a month later, I caught one that pulled the innerds of the scale out.:crazy: Gotta get me a bigger, and better scale. I post my PB at 48#, but I honestly don't know what it is...but bigger than 50 :smile2:.

LNB, they caught a heck of a fish. I bet they go buy a bigger scale. I know I am!:wink: