how much does bait size matter

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by thecatman, Sep 11, 2008.

1. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    ok guys i have a tough question for you last night while fishing for cats i was using about a 4-5in live gill and caught about a 5lb flat however i then was using about a 3in dead shad and caught a 20lb flat and then lost a fish on about a 12-14in live gizzard shad now my question is how much does size matter to cats or does it

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The fish in my avitar of 45-lbs came on about a 1inch square piece of cut shad...I dont think it matters, if they are hungry they are gonna eat it, big or small.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I agree with Jack. I have yet to catch a huge flathead but generally, I have taken fish on both smaller as well as larger baits. I also taken a few flatheads on cut baits.

4. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i had a run on a green sunfish about 7 inches long.i let it go for a few feet cause the bait was so big.i locked the reel,layed into it about as hard as i could,and i liked to yank that poor little 5 pound flat out of the water.

moral of the story is,most of the time they don't care how big or little your bait is,they will more than likely suck it in.people catch very good size flats crappie fishing with minnows.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've been amazed many times at the large fish I've caught using small baits with small hooks....... however, if you're 'targeting' larger fish, use larger baits, imho.

6. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I think it just what they want on any given day as far as bait goes and size...:confused2:
    sometimes is hard to figure out,,,
    Puddle

7. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    YOU CAUGHT A 20LB FLATTIE AND YOU HAVE A BASS IN YOUR AVATAR?!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Heres the part where you tell me that the bass is bait:smile2::smile2::smile2:!!!!

no, I don't think bait size matters to the fish trying to eat it.:wink:

8. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    As Kyredneck said, if targeting big fish, use big bait. If numbers are what you are after, then play with the sizes until you find the honey and then slay them.

9. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    when i fish in the miss river i use about a fist size peice of cut bait while in the hatchie i use a 1 inch peice while in the tenn river i use filettes when i flat head fish i use bream :cool2:

10. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Generally I don't think it really matters, as far as the average fisherman goes, myself included. I have caught very small fish on pieces of bait I swore would'nt even try to eat it, and visa versa. I think the rule of thumb is the bigger the bait the more consistant you will be at catching larger fish. Just seems to make sense. I think some sucessfull tournament anglers out there may try different siizes and different ways to offer the bait up, when the bite is slowand probably will tell you the fish will respond to a particular bait diffrently at different times, meaning one way may work better than another at that particular time. Thats the way it's been on many of my trips

11. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I usually put different size of baits out at the same time. I feel the the fish swims by and is hungry it will eat it no matter the size. The fish in my avitar is around 80lbs. It was caught on a piece of asian carp about 1 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches. Then I have had hits on 9 inch shad. Just get it in front of them.

Tom

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    In the spring and fall, I try to stick to smaller baits such as a 3 to 5 inch bluegill or large shiners in the 6 to 8 inch range.

But come late spring to early fall (end of May to end of September) i use the big baits like 2lb carp, leagl sized bass, and biggest badest 9 inch bluegills you can find.

13. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i think if it really wants to, it will take just about any size it can fit in its mouth, just depends on the fish and if its hungry (just my opinion though)

14. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    thanks for all the info guys its been a real help