How Much Do You Spend Catfishing In NC?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by WylieCat, Jan 5, 2008.

How Much Do You Spend Per Year Catfishing In NC???

1. Less than $100

2. $100-$500

3. $500-$1000

4. $1000-$2000

5. $2000-$4000

6. $4000+

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I posted a similar poll in the General Catfish section, but I would like the question here "what do you spend in NC catching catfish?"

With the proposed regulation changes coming up I began to wonder just how much NC anglers spend in NC each year.

I took the cost of rods, reels, electronics, boat gear, and a new boat and ammortized that out over ten years. The I added in boat gas and auto gas for towing, bait, lodging for out of town trips and came up with a good estimation on my total.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    How many times are you gonna post this question, LOL!!!

3. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    The other thread did not attach the pole and has been reported to the admin.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    im in! heading out now for one of my weekly contribution.:smile2:

5. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Where in the world is N.C.:confused2::big_smile:

6. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Last year was my first full year catfishing. I spent at least $17,000.00. The majority of that was on a new boat. I bought new rods too which I'm allready beginning to replace.

7. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey Dreadnaugh, about your comment on how many times wyliecat is going to post it. I think we all agree AS MANY TIMES AS IT TAKES TO MAKE A CHANGE!!!!!!!

8. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Ya cant put a price on anything you enjoy or have fun doing,ya just fork out the cash and have a blast doing it....life is too short to think about what its going to cost to have fun.just do it..I have a blast fishin with my 18yo son,hes there all night or for an hour ,to me no money could pay for those times and times to come..

9. killentime99

killentime99 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Well last night I took the poll and figured im in the 2-4 range and after giving it a little thought today i decided to go through check book register to see how much i spent on check card since jan 1 2007, this is not counting out of pocket cash.

spent at hwy 49 on bait, tackle, and gas 1297.72 dollars
    spent at bass pro 295.30
    3 new rods and reels 207.00
    new autopilot 736.56
    new gel battery 172.92
    trip with mac 200.00
    weekend at wateree 540.00
    total of 3449.50

Time spent on water, fishing, meeting new people, learning, PRICELESS!!!!!

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Well, after I got to thinking about it I spent a lot on catfishing this year:crazy:

4 new rods (not counting the 4 that I ordered yesterday), two new reels, a boat not to mention all kinds of tackle(lead, hooks, line, swivels, bait, nets, cast nets) It's kinda ridiculous how much you spend when you look back on it. This is one of the reasons that the state is trying to basically do away with commercial fishing in saltwater. A two pound trout is worth about $4 at the fish house whole sale price. However, that same trout caught by a tourist coming to the beach can exceed $2,000. Pretty amazing. I don't agree with abolishing commercial fishing, but they do have a very good point.

11. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I had to calculate percentages because I fish for anything East of Chapel Hill NC and less than 3 miles offshore NC...LOL!!!

12. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Im in.... Avg for 10 years, geeze I need a second job. I see where my money goes now. 4000+ dosent really cover it unless I take some things out of equation. I have 2 boats, 1 new one 10 years old, camper at Badin (dues $900 a year), I live 60 miles away so gas in truck alone is sickaning. I only fish for catfish, but I play alot during summer at lake. I dont think it is getting cheaper, theres a list of stuff I still want and then there is upgradeing when I can.

13. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would have to say I spend less than $1500 dollars a year on fishing even though I never really counted it up. The boat is paid for but the first year I had it it cost me $1500 to purchase it. Reels I have aqquired over the years for varying prices. I bought 5 7' Eagle Claw MH casting rods for $100 last year. As far as gas goes I can make 4 -5 trips when we go fish our usual catfish holes on a 6 gallon tank with my mercury 25xd, occasionally that gets cut in half when we might run farther up river to some different holes or farther down to fish in the lake, diesel fuel is kinda pricey but at 18 mpg avg it's better than a gas engine with comparable power could ever wish to be. The only bait I ever buy is a tub of nightcrawlers to catch bream and white perch with if no shad is to be found, but this rarely happens and a tub of nightcrawlers generally will last for several trips. I usualy reline my reels once a year right before my first trip to the coast in the spring @ $6 or $7 dollars for a quarter pound spool of Cajun Red Lightning. Hooks and sinkers probably account for one of the bigger expenses. I use gamatsu 7/0 4x heavy circle hooks for live bait fishing and 2/0 and 4/0 khale hooks for fishing with cut bait.

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I dont know how much I spent BUT I do know that the first week of Jan every year I get a phone call from Johnny Morris and Jimmy Cabela.They ask how I'm feeling and if I'm still employed because if something happened to me they are afraid that the stock market would crash and their companies go bankrupt.:smile2::wink:I DO get nice treatment by the Cabela brothers and a Xmas card.WIth the new BASSPRO in Myrtle Beach I'm not sure how to count the spending????????If I get stuff there that I use in NC does that count??? HAHAHAHAHAHA just kidding Dieter.I support what you are trying to do with the poll.

15. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    If anyone else has not responded to this thread, please do so. I would like to have the informal poll data next week for the public hearings in NC.

Remember, this thread is for how "much you spend in NC on catfishing"

16. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Last year I have spent more than $26,000 (new boat) and another $5000.00 on gear and operating supplies. That does not include my camper and truck. I buy bait, fuel, stay in campgrounds, eat in restaurants, all in pursuit of the catfish.

17. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    my wife is my partner most of the time but she dose not know how much so i9 dont really keep up with it and a lot of it ts in outher states but if they dont have some kind of catfish limits or size we dont stay there but in a yr we spend over &2oooo.oo thats for room an board gas bate new equipment an entry fees we sponser our self that way we dont have to make excuses or get permision whear to fish. shut up nuff said. thats roundhill:smile2::smile2::smile2:

18. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    well george bush said the economy is fine and a few years ago he told me to not worry and shop away to help the economy well he wouldnt lie would he ??????? :smile2::eek:oooh::smile2: so im on my 4th credit card just for gas for my truck and boat. refinanced the house for rods and reels shad nets, hooks and line. told my wife never fear because CHAPTER 13 is near. sure do wish BUSH could stay in office because i have plenty of blood to sell .

19. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Does that mean you are for Stealery Clinton? she will tax your blood

20. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I don't have a boat anymore so all the money I spend is on licenses, permits (Lake Thom-A-Lex 20.00/year), tackle, bait, batteries for the lights, and gas for the car.