How much do you know?

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by SkiMax, Aug 7, 2007.

1. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Ducks Unlimited says that the biggest danger to threatened species is hunters not being able to distuingish and shooting the wrong/rare bird. Let's start a thread on ID'ing different waterfowl. ID the bird, tell how you ID'ed it, how you could differenciate while hunting (certain flight patterns, the presence of wingbars, etc..) and if it's legal to take in your state. The purpose of this is to try and inform some hunters out there and keep the sport going and the species strong!

Here's the first one. Common in the Midwest and East. Winters in Southern US, Carribbean, and South America. Can be seen in larger flocks while migrating. The bird in the front is the male and the one behind is a female.

Attached Files:

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Waiting for them to land close enough that you can identify each one.Identifying them and then scaring them up to shoot while keeping track of the ones you can shoot is really hard.Especial when you are where they come in mixed.Believe me when I say that a state and federal wardens cannot tell the difference between tame and wild Mallards.I would turn my tame hand raised Mallards out during the acorn season to get the flavor before butchering.I lived on a creek.I had to catch one and show them that they were pinioned and could not fly.I also had to show them my receipt where I purchased the original ducklings and geese mail order from a Pa.hatchery.They wanted me to prove these were the ducks I ordered or had been hatching for 5 years in my incubator."Could I prove that they were not wild"?They also informed me that it would cost me a fortune to go to federal court even If I beat it and that they had plenty of grounds to arrest me as I had no proof that they were wild ducks.I was also "Baiting"and "Trapping" as I was feeding my ducks in the evening in the pen they were raised in and shutting them up for the night.Really hardly worth it anymore.The Feds have given in to the Anti hunters and are making it too difficult and expensive for the average working man to hunt waterfowl.I was farming ducks and geese and not even hunting.This was 25+ years ago.I have no idea what would happen now.We were still allowed some rights back then.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Kinda reminds me of the time when 2 hunters from chicago came down to our neck of the woods to pheasant hunt. Well 4 hours later they stopped back by our farm and told my dad they had hit the jack pot!! They opened up their trunk and had about 50 rhode island red chickens in their trunk!!! :smile2:

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    City sports on the Santee shot our White Peking ducks for wild ones and a Black Newfoundland dog for a Bear while duck hunting.They were actually bragging and showing them off.They got fighting mad when told different.They got madder at the Game warden.I really believe that they were that dumb.I also had a trespasser shoot at my tame mallards as they flocked around his legs wanting him to feed them.They were so close that the shot did not spread and missed the ducks.It did blow water and mud all over him and the woman with him.People!At least he was as smart as the game wardens when it came to ID-ing wild ducks.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee