How much debris is too much?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by wolfman, Feb 28, 2007.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    On the bigger rivers with rising water and stronger currents, how much debris in the river will keep you from launching?

2. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    If I see anything BIG floating down stream, I'll probably wait another day or two before I venture out onto the Missouri. Like everyone else, I've seen stuff floating down the river big enough to take my boat under. I'm not willing to take the chance!

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Got a bit of an advantage here. I launch in a feeder creek and travel about a half a mile to the main river and take a look. If its ugly I fish the creek. You say won't the same debris problem exhist in the creek. Funny you should ask. Havein fished these creeks as well as the river as long as I have ya start to learn certain habits. 99.9% of my cattin is done in tidal water. For reasons I can't explain the debris seems to bunch up and follow a specific side of the creek or river depending on the tides direction. Don't have a technical explanation other than I know it happens and where I should be at a given tidal flow. If I wanna fish the railroad turntable bridge at incomein tide, I best be on the outside bend. For outgoin tide I best be on the inside bend. Crazy how things work and stick with ya after while. LOL!

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If it's bad enough where you could almost walk across the river on crap coming down. Then it's to bad. Other wise there is always something coming down and some of that can be larger then normal.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I will fish the Ohio River at any stage as long as I feel safe. By that i mean; As long as there are no HUGE (50') trees coming down river I will go. There are places on the river that you can fish that will put you out of the path of the debris field such as, inside bends and cuts along the bank. If a person waited till the river was down and the debris was gone here, they would only get about 3 to 4 months of fishing in. This river stays up and down all the time and is very unforegiving.
    There are folks that won't fish the ohio at certain stages and I can respect that, so in turn I don't want to be ridiculed for fishing it when I want to go. We are each individuals and need to set our own boundries and limits.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    If you have any:lol: just use your common sense. When there is debris in the body of water you are fishing then slow down and take your time getting from point A to point B and back.

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    You are goofy for going out there! :tounge_out: As big as you are, if you get thrown in the water, you ain't swimming out of it. Now, that said, I would call you goofy in OR out of the water. I remember how you looked when a 15 year old girl put a "cream pie" on yer head.

Yer friendly Ohio neighbor, Shawn "Anchor" Dostie or S.A.D. fer short. :big_smile:

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I also fish the Ohio River and I can usually find somewhere to fish where the debris is not bad. The inside of sharp bends is a good example. If it is really bad then we will anchor in the mouth of a creek to shelter us and toss our baits out into the main river (can do well with this method). So I will fish it alot of times but there are times when I will not go on it at all. We tried earlier this year to go out and we took the 21 foot trophy since it's bigger than my jon and it was still dangerous, won't do that again (although we did catch a couple cats)

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

There you go Walt, move down to Henderson and start using them high fa lutin words.
    Now if you are talking about garbage and trash I would go,but not like the scenery. If your talking whole trees and pickup trucks, then no. Same goes for geological and astrological debris, cant see fishing in that stuff either, but put me in river of brouet et boeuf and I would be in heaven! lol! :tounge_out: :eek:oooh: :big_smile:

10. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I don't go when I can't kick the debris off the boat ramp. LOL

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have never been anything other than GOOFY, I suppose, LOL!!!

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have seen him do this, LOL!!!

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i fish no matter what the river looks like iv actually been on it with a 2 story house floating by iv fished tourny's when full trees and their root wadds sticking 10' outa the water have floated by , normally when the water is this high the fish head for the banks and eddies and thats where you will find me tied to a tree next to the bank with lines in the trees and out deep in the eddie holes iv caught many a 20#+ blue in these places when the water is high , your bigger bait fish will be in the same places the smaller bait fish will be in the root wadds and undercut banks for safety from the cats and swift currents , if you watch your speed and the debris in the water you will be fine it helps to have a spotter in the boat with you iv seen times when iv had to idle thru drift clusters as big as football feilds to get to the desired spot of my choice . you just have to be patient when dealing with high water on any river big or small it helps to know your boats power range and have the knowledge to match that to the current flow .

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Charles and JW, I couldn't agree more with both of ya. Might be a first, on the agreeing with JW, but he made a great post and deserves credit for it.
    Fishing the Mississippi River, I have seen most everything float by, well, not a house like Charles saw. Any way, usually I will have to cross 200/400 ft wide stretch of trees and such to get to the wingdikes I fish. Below the bigger dikes, the junk becomes an island floating around in a circle. I know some cats would be under that island, but I have yet to figure a way to fish them without getting snagged.

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    So you agree that JW is goofy most of the time too? :lol:

16. stoney

stoney New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    it dont matter to me,if there's someone willing to go with me than im ready to go.......

17. stoney

stoney New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    oh yea, we also would have to take there boat..lol...

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Of course, LOL!!! Wouldn't have it any other way, LMAO!!!

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Though it doesn't get that bad here that i have seen yet, I would still go as long as I could navigate through it.
    My work schedule dictates when I can go and when i can't. So with that being said "I go when oppertunity knocks". Always have, always will.

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    On the small to medium river I fish ( Muskingum ), I have been out twice when 40 foot trees floated by in the darkness. The closest was 7 or 8 feet from my boat. I had spent 6 hours or so in a allnight thunderstorm in a slough between the bank and an island with no fish activity at all so I decided I'd move up to the bridge and anchor directly behind a concrete piling and try that. About thirty minutes later that huge tree came down right beside me, I coulda touched it with my oar LOL. I left soon after. Nowadays if I see 10ft logs and just tons of smaller stuff its best to hit the lake or go home. This river has so many over hanging trees and unpopulated stretches that every time it rises something big will be washed in. To catch fish you have to put yourself at some risk, and I get tired worrying and looking over my shoulder all night. I've never had any luck in the SAFE spots where nothing could get to me.