How much calling is to much calling?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by little fiddler, Apr 16, 2007.

1. little fiddler

little fiddler New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Me and my step dad call about every 5min. is that to much?

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I can't stand talking on the phone anyway. That would be way to much for me.

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Joel, you just need to remember that you're trying to talk a gobbler into doing something that isn't totally natural. The way it USUALLY works for a gobbler, is that he finds a good spot to strut his stuff (a strutting zone, we call 'em) and he puts on a show. He gobbles when he feels the urge, and the girls come to him. He usually doesn't have to go looking for love.

When you're calling, you want to call enough to let him know you're there and you're interested in him, but not enough to make him think you're a desperate hen & you're gonna come to him. There's kind of a fine line to it. You'll learn as you go, but you just have to feel the bird out. If he's all excited and is cutting you off when you call, then he's pretty much a dead bird..... keep pouring it on him 'cause he's liking what you're doing. If he responds every so often when you call, then he may be thinking that you're gonna come to him. Occasionally, piling some excited cuts and yelps on top of him will entice him over, but it may tell him that you're desperate enough to come to him. If the bird is only gobbling at me every other call or so, I'll sometimes sit quiet for a long time, then call again much more quietly. Kinda makes him think that I might be moving away from him, and he's blown his opportunity to get that little lady in. Sometimes that will work and he'll come running, and then again he may just feel like doing whatever he's doing as well. To be really honest with you, I leave those types of gobblers alone unless they're real monsters. If they're big enough, I'll try to wait them out but I'll usually just go onto a different bird and try to call him in.

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I don't think I could have said it any better than Jerrod did. Alot of turkey hunting is trial and error. What works in one woods on one bird, may not work the same in a different woods on different birds. Just get out there and work hard at it, believe me good things will happen sooner or later.
    Sparky

5. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    My fault man, I guess I should pay more attention to the post. I was wondering why you were asking that, now I see why. I'm a dummy you"ll have to forgive me. Don't know much about turkey hunting.

6. LRTX1

LRTX1 New Member

State:
    Alachua, Florida
    Very good advice has been givin in the previous posts. Every situation is different. Good question and good answers!

Layne

7. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    Every hunt is different. The less you call the better. Sometimes the best call is the one in your pocket.

8. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Earlier advice is sound, however, different birds have different personalities. Some live to fight, some live to love, spme it's amazing they've lived as long as they have. I have a spot where I can see them coming for sometimes hundreds of yards.... I can hammer a call all day long and take a bird or I can play shy and kill a bird. Moderation is hard for me I love to hear myself call...LOL.... But I have the advantage of seeing their body language in my hot spot and I can adjust accordingly. To be on the safe side call sparingly, but, if the hunt is not progressing, don't be afraid to let loose. Sometimes when you break the rules it pays off.
    Sometimes you'll do everything right and still go home alone!
    Richard

9. broncstomper

broncstomper New Member

State:
    ga
    I would'nt call just to hear my call but If thats what it takes so be it.