Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
At 95 st. and Mecalf there is a pond. In the late 50's it was a pay lake full of Cat's and Carp. The is still a pond there and probably the same geese.
Things have changed mentally and physcially.
We don't live or think the same as when I was 10 yrs. old.

·
Registered
174 Posts
i guess if you got the money and were lazy enough, you could buy anything these days. id rather say" Look what i caught!!!" than "Look what i bought!!!" i understand makin a pond or lake at your place and stockin it, but if you got that kind of money, than youre more than able to go to a big lake or river and catch the monsters, not buy em.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Not to many years past, a couple of guy's were watched, and caught catching (multiple trotlines) Catfish on Milford Lake. I believe the "sting" was around 2-3 years long. They were selling the Catfish in Kansas City.

They lost all their gear, boats, camper(one guy lived on the lake), got some hefty fines, loss of fishing priveleges. The guy was camped not to We lost a lot of big Catfish during those couple of years.:angry:

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Hatcheries do not raise catfish to the 50-80lb size range, they would lose money buy feeding those fish for all those years.

fish of that size are caught on public rivers and lakes to be sold to paylakes, which is illegal in ohio, but done all the time.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
there is a guy here in topeka that has a quary on his land. he had it stocked about 15 years ago and aint let anyone fish it until about 5 or 6 years ago. no more fish are brought in. in the time he let it sit they established themselves. if ya catch somethin and wanna keep it then its $2 a lb. you can clean it there and save money but if ya clean it and give him some fish he usually dont make ya pay. not just anybody can fish out there though. he can be kinda hard to get along with to some people. the way i look at it, he paid for the fish to be brought in from a hatchery so if he wants to charge people for them he can and if people pay him to fish out there its on them. ive been out there many many times and didnt catch nothin so it aint guanenteed. in fact, its kinda an "interesting" place to just hang out.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
JJ yes thats not so bad,after all we pay to fish public waters through lisences and park permits,etc. The problem comes in when those lake owners start buying fish that were caught in public waters and then reselling them to anybody who will pay for a trophy fish.This starts when the lake owner realizes he can save a buttload of money by buying illegal stolen game for a lot less than the hatcheries and fish farms sell them.

We had a guy at work,he booked a "hunt" on a Nebraska elk ranch,when he showed up they cut out a elk from their herd and drove it into a 100ftx 100ft pen and told him to shoot it,he was not thrilled,but shot it and they butchered it and froze it for him to take home. He will never live that down,especially since he missed the first shot,a few christmases ago at the company christmas party the boss gave him a sledgehammer with a note about leaving the rifle at home next time he went "elk hunting",the whole place was roaring with laughter. Thats how I feel about most paylakes,because they put fish in a barrel and point to it while quoting a price,paylake fish would be nothing to be proud of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, filleted, cats bring $3 to $4 a pound. Not cleaned, they bring $1 to $1.50 a pound. Sale of catfish requires a commercial license. Some pay lakes pay big money for big cats. Certainly if that issue comes up as your intentions, you will be chastised off the BOC. BTW: Welcome to the BOC from South Carolina.

Bill in SC
Hello Bill,
I was wanting to do some catfish trapping in SC in and around the Santee Cooper area. Do you know of a place (commercial ) to sell them. thanks Chuck

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
This is just a side track, but don’t get me started on a river here in Illinois that’s been stripped of its large flatheads because how many trotliners and limb liners, both of which can have 50 hooks set up all along the river. Those guys are NOT catch and release, so all those fish including very large flatheads, are all gone.

When the Reel and Pole fisherman,who are mostly catch and release, only can use 2-4 poles person I believe.

It is VERY difficult to find the big flatheads that that river had always been known for. Boat fisherman and limb liners/trotliners should be allowed the same amount of hooks out 2-4.

There has to be several years where no person is allowed to keep any flatheads until that river can recoup and build up its fishery again for flatheads. This irresponsibility of catching all these fish and taking them has stripped the river.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I agree. Here at Milford we have 5 fish limit and only 1 over 40 inches and 25 to 40 inches go back and its working. The lake in texas I go to also started somethin similar cant remember exactly what it is but every spring the fish get bigger so I think its working there too.
That’s awesome to here man! Other waters need to learn from this. Thanks for sharing.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts