How much and how often?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Flatheadhunter33, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Just curious as to how much fish everyone here eats and how often? I used to eat fish on Fridays when I was growing up. When I got married my wife's idea of a fish fry was Vandekamp's fish sticks...So if I want fish, I have to cook it which is fine by me:big_smile:.

2. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I usually keep a couple blue cats around 10 or 15 pounds a year to eat. I will eat it about once a month or so until its all gone. I only keep them during the cold winter months, seem to taste better to me from the cold water. rspd507

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i usually keep some small fall flatheads around october but they dont last long because the whole family and most of my friends love eating fish... flathead is the only catfish to eat!!!!

4. mrguffy

mrguffy New Member

State:
    Pa.
    About twice a week during the summer. and once a week in the winter.Hard to beat ,deep fried catfish with fries, hushpuppies and slaw.

Good luck and good fishing, and remember to leave some for seed.
    Bob

5. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Usually I have a big fish fry twice a year and invite the family and friends over for it, mostly channel cats and crappie otherwise I don't eat that much.
    I just really enjoy catching them more.

:big_smile::wink:

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I try to keep at least a couple gallon bags of cat fillets in my freezer . I dont eat fish as often as I would like. My wife says since she grew up eating catfish most meals ,she hates it ,she loves bass,crappie an gills tho. so I may have to change my fishing a bit.I eat it about once a month,but I could eat it once a week.

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't usually keep anything I catch any more. I just don't like to clean them and kill them. I love fish. Could eat it every few days. Wife doesn't like fried foods so to keep peace, because I do all the cooking I abide by her rules.

But, if I have a choice I will take seafood over fresh water fish. The best freshwater fish is one of two, not in any order and those are crappie and walleye.

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    i usually eat fish once a week in the spring and summer. maybe once a month during the fall and winters months. i like using my turkey fryer and peanut oil to fry the fish. i only keep what i eat. practice cpr!!:smile2:

9. Goofy

Goofy Member

State:
    Moline, Illinois
    Two or three times a month. Catfish, crappie and walleye. Andy's and rice bran oil.

10. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    i dont eat as much fish i want sometimes or as i could since i practice catch and release 98% of the time. but each year i starve for the first fresh fish fry. where my dad and brothers all get together at a small farm pond and catch the fish the kids and women play and talk and dad then fires up the the coleman and we cook'm up right there next to the pond with bread and butter fresh from the water.. i cant wait till may.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    once a month usually...rollo

12. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    alot of your probably know this but when you cook fish you should rinse it in a bowl of water with salt in it it takes out the fishy taste and i eat fish when im camping or going down the river

13. litltman

litltman New Member

State:
    ------
    I thought you guys loved to eat fish. man I love to eat fish 3 or 4 times each week, even when we go to the golden coral on fridays, I always get some of the fish. it is great with my steak .love to catch em, love to eat em.

14. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i dont eat much ,like bluegill ,and catfish once in a while

15. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I like it fried, I like it broiled, especially over mesquite coals. Love it in Gumbo. I like fish...and my preferences are Redfish, Catfish, Crappie, and Walleye, fresh Tuna, Mahi-Mahi, Tilapia, Bluegills, and so on, in no particular order. As my wife is fond of saying "My favorite fish is what I am eating at the time"

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    are you the fella that posted the robins? i think im right.

i eat it more in the warmer months. we cook fish out in the shop and in garages while we clean sometimes. i usually put 100lbs in the freezor during a years time. im the channel man around town here. all my buddies can smell it cooking.

i had some a week and 1/2 ago but hadnt had it for a month prior, give or take. in the summer. maybe once twice week. and i usually cook at least a couple lbs. i snack while i cook and leftovers. yum.

i always soak overnight in strong saltwater. all fish. then freeze.

like in taxidermy, salt draws out bacteria and blood from meat and flesh.

come on do you always take pics when you cpr fish. bluegills, crappie ect,lol.

17. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    About once a week. 2-3 times a week during fishing season. A mixture of catfish, white bass and crappie. Salmon quite a bit as well. I've even been known to eat an occasional fried carp :big_smile:

18. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    We usually have fish 2 times a month in winter, and at least 1 weekly in summer months. Later andy

19. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice blue rspd507:smile2:

20. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    You must really know how to cook it. I've never had it fried and liked it.