How much affect does rain have on the Kaw?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by tmramrod91, May 21, 2008.

1. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I was planning to get out on the Kaw near KC this weekend with a buddy and his jon boat, but I noticed there is a really good chance of rain every day through monday.

Does the river rise real quick and start flowing really fast or does it take a lot of rain to really affect it? We're concerned with the flow of the river being too much for the rig we're using.

Thanks for any insight.

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    just depends on the amount of rain that we get and up river from where you are
    2yrs ago we didnt recieve a bit of rain but out west they did and the next day the river was up several feet

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Kevin , you should be alright. There is not too much rain forecasted. If it does start rising real fast , and your not sure your rig can handle it, just pull anchor and high tail it outta there. :big_smile:

4. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    came across the kaw at bonner and it wasn't up yet

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The Kaw is going to rise quite a bit over the next 2 days from the rains that fell in NE Kansas today. I wouldn't let that scare you off, as it still runs pretty gentle compared to the Missouri, just be careful if you try to tie off and camp somewhere, the rising water can really sneak up on you. There will be some debris, but just take it easy and it won't be a problem to work around it.

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Boating up to the 435 dam Sat. night could prove to be some fine fishing.:wink:

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The river is up in Topeka compared to 2 days ago.

8. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was looking at USGS this morning and it had spiked up to about 10,000 cfs. and it also rose about 1.5'. Whats the river look like flowing at that rate? Too much for a 1436 jon with 9.8 hp?

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The main thing you will run into is that it's hard to find places where you can get out of the boat and fish from the bank. Most of the sand bars and unvegitated bank area will be under water. Other than that, just be extra careful and you should be ok.

10. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    has the kaw started to go down yet last weekend it was way up

11. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Not for long. Tuttle is scheduled to release 19000cfs starting Thursday. Unless, I suspect, they have to back off for the MO river from Iowa runoff.

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    We stopped by Tuttle Sunday on the way back from the Gathering. Thats the first time Ive ever seen it. That Rocky Ford low water dam looks like a great spot, when they are letting out water. I might just have to go out there and give it a try. :big_smile:

13. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i will be out there in two weeks

14. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Keith I was up there on Sunday for a few hours, The outlet was nasty. I dont know why they dont go in there and clean that crap out before they open the gates up.. A park ranger said that they will leave it and open the gates up and wash it away.

Keith depending on when you go down there give me a yell and I will go with you, if we want some company. Same for you too Gus I'm always up to hitting it again.

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've fished there a few times without too much in the way of catfish to show for it, but last year I cleaned up on crappie and white bass fishing right next to the walkway.

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Sure thing Dan. Ill let you know. :big_smile: