How many yards is enough on reel

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cliff n york, Jun 21, 2006.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    how many of you use 200 are 300 yards of line own your reels,dont you feel this is to much. how many of youre fish have runs of more than 50 yards

2. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Glad to see another brother in York county!

:big_smile:

I have 200 yard on both my reels, not sure yet how much i'll put on the Abu i hope to get this weekend.

I always fill the spool, not so much for runs, but because it increases both casting distance and line retrieval.

3. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i always feel my reels to the max for 2 reasons.
    1. i think if you got a full reel that you get more of a cast out of it. or should i say a futher cast.
    2. one day i hope to be able to catch a fish big enough to pull it all off:smile2:

4. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Baitcasters I fill to within 1/16 of an inch from full, spinning reels to within 1/8 of and inch from the edge. They seem to work better this way for me.

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    With all the retying i do the 250yd capacity gets down to 150 or 100 yards fairly quickly... Now on a reel where i'm using 50 lb test or better (i don't do that, just making an example) where it will be hard for a fish to pull off 100 yards of line unless its HUGE i don't worry... but on those reels where i load 4, 12 and 15 # test on them i need all the insurance line i can get... i can't horse a fish in on 4# line... and usually i can't either on 12 or 15, even if its obvious that the fish isn't anywhere close to 10 lbs... Sometimes i'll make a 60 or 70 yard cast down the lake or river.... in that case... if the fish wants to run 50 yards from there i'm still covered... On my ultra light the "matched" reels for it hold maybe 100 yards on the better reels... I upsize to the next size up (which is better balanced then the smaller one would have been) so i have that extra line capacity just in case (never figured it out but it'll hold 130 of 6lb test and i use 4...).... I'm not worried so much that the line will break but i have had fish just peel off line as i'm sitting there for a minute, 2 minutes... in one case it it was over 2 minutes but i have no clue how long it really was of the fish peeling off line and im sitting there with no way to get anything back hoping the fish will stop... With out a doubt they have all eventually stopped. and i've managed to get them back to shore or the dock with out too much of an incident :)... I have never had a fish come even close to stripping all my line out ever... and have never lost a fish either because it was close and i had to tighten my drag to slow them down...

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL

I'm agreeing with this....plus it helps jsut a little for each turn of the reel on the retrieve.

7. bkhollan

bkhollan New Member

State:
    Washington, Ind
    i always fill my baitcasters till about 1/8 on an inch of spool is still not covered with line. That's usually what they recommend for proper distance on your casts.

8. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i fill my baitcasters with atleast 200 yds of line.just makes me fill more comfortable wile im watin for the big one.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have spooled reels that would only hold 25 to 50 yards of 80 lb.mono.The reason was to fish in and among Jetties,pilings,wrecks,etc.that were covered with sharp shell.Worked fine,as the heavy line will take a lot more abuse.I always set my drag for the equipment rating,not my heavy line rating.Always carried a stick or such for when I got hung.I never pulled against my rod or reel when hung.I have fished fresh water rocky bottoms like this.I really don;t think it is worth it for rocks alone.I do think it is well worth while for some saltwater fishing in and around shell.peewee-wiliams

10. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    on all my reels..i keep the most it will hold. i use backing on all my higher capacity reels.

laterz
    rc

11. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I put on as much as it should hold. My line supply on my reel also gets lower faster than I know it lol.

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I fill mine up for two reasons.

First, they cast better when full.

Second, I pull off 5-10 feet of line regularly to get rid of any abrasions from rocks and limbs on the bottom.

13. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I always just fill my reels. You trim off so much from damage to begin with. Not to mention what you lose when you hang up.

14. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    I agree with keeping as much as you can on the reel. For one, I use a few rod and reels to fish for multiple species (cats, bass, gills, etc.) so tying on lures and hooks eats alot of your line up. Second of all, I use nothing but open-faced bait caster reels and they seem to cast much better when the spool is full!

15. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Its just according to how big the reel is