How Many Use Fiddle Worms?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Kevin Allen, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Kevin Allen

Kevin Allen New Member

State:
    Alabama
    just wondering how many of yall use fiddle worms?

also, how many go out and fiddle them up urself?

i been using fiddle worms since my dad was baiting my hook when i was little. always went with him to get fiddle worms, now i'm gettin them on my own. i still like using shad and minners, but ya gotta love them big ole fiddle worms.

Kevin

2. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Ok I'll bite whats a fiddle worm?I use lots of nightcrawlers because I have millions of them.:smile2:

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Glad you asked. I was going to. I have lots of nighcrawlers too:smile2::smile2:

4. Kevin Allen

Kevin Allen New Member

State:
    Alabama
    fiddle worms are these huge worms thats like sometimes a foot long, their fairly thick round, they glow in the dark with their juices. even spray u when putting a hook through them sometimes lol...

the way i get them is to go out in some "natural" woods, find a small sapling about 2 to 3 inches thick...use a handsaw and cut it down about 8 to 12 inches above the ground, then rub the saw on the top flat part u just cut, not hard enough to cut into the stump, but enough to make the teeth cause a vibration, usually takes about 10 to 15 minutes before u should see the worms coming up out of the ground, little bitty ones usually appear first. a good place and fill half a gallon jug within 20 minutes. one good worm and sometimes be more than will fit on a hook.

they are great for catfishing as well as bass fishing.

sometimes u have to hit a few spots to get enough of'em, sometimes u'll walk off and them still coming up....what happens is the vibration runs through the roots of the tree into the ground and the worms come up. usually in about a 5 to 10 yard circle.

please tell me someone has used or knows how to get fiddle worms...their awesome.

Kevin

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Sounds like you are talking about big earthworms.(about a foot long, big a around as a pencil) They are pinkish and real slimey. We find them in wet clay areas. Great cat bait . A good one will fill up a 6/0 hook.

6. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Never heard of getting them that way,sounds like too much trouble.I just wait till a rain then go out and pick up about a gallon of night crawlers.Or send my daughter out with a flashlight she loves to catch them.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    .....poor tree.........

8. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I haven't gotten any in several years. They were real hard to find during the drought but they should be back now. love to fish with them. Kinda scared me the first time I noticed the glow. We had it on our hands and couldn't find where it came from then noticed them in the bucket. cats sure love them and they are tougher than night crawlers. I think a small dog wood is the best to fiddle on.

9. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I am in the same boat. The places I have always fiddled worms have been
    way to dry the last few years and I have not took the time to find new spots.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Another way to 'fiddle' up the worms is to cut notches in the edge of a 2x4, cut a point on one end, and drive it into the ground. Use a piece of 2x4 about 3' or 3 1/2' long, and drive it about halfway into the ground. Take a hardwood dowel, or something similar, like an old axe handle, and rub it hard against the notches. Just like rubbing the tree stump, the vibrations go down into the ground and cause the worms to come to the surface. It seems like you could use a piece of old water pipe to rub against the notches, but I never heard of anyone doing that...maybe the metal makes a different vibration than wood. ???