how many use an ATV to help get you there

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by on_the_fly, Oct 2, 2008.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was getting my ATV ready today I made a few things for it to help make it easier and safe'er to use. I have a 1999 Polaris 500 4x4 sportsman. but I realy want a Rihno 660 4x4 but since mine is payed for and I am like most and cant aford new payments I make the best of what I got and on that note I made a gun boot today thats like the kolpin gun boots. I used a plastic gun case and made and aluminum brace thats removeable with a pull of a pin. works real good and I'm shure I'm not the only one that has tryed to set on their stand while its on the ATV to hold it down and drive too. well I was gillty so I made a brace for my climbing stand to rest in and hang off the back of the ATV. I run the bike with them on and tryed them out in a few rough areas and they held up great so I think I'm good for this winter.

Attached Files:

2. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i sold my 4 wheeler and am looking at a mule or gator. my dad has a mule and i really like it. the best thing about using an atv is if you do tear something up, you can still drive your truck home.

3. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I wouldnt think a gator would be too good for just hunting they do not have much ground clerance at all I had a chance to buy one for 1200 once and that was the only reasion I didnt buy it.and well it wasnt 4x4 it was lime green not camo green. I think if I wanted something that set that low I would have to get a 6X6 ARGO. I did look at tradeing in my polaris in on one before but my wife talked me out of it. Anyone on here have an ARGO or a MAXXIS

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use the old fasioned,PEDMOBILES:big_smile: i am looking for a cheap used 4x4 in the 250 cc range,I don't need speed ,Just something that will get a deer out of the field. i just ain't got it in me to drag one any distance any more. and I would much rather hunt alone.

5. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I bought a new 2007 model,420 honda rancher, 2wd, this summer, I use it everyday here on the farm and love it. Use'n it for hunt'n is just a bonus.

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I bought a new Honda Foreman 450 a few years ago. Before I ever got to hunt with it, some sorry S.O.B. stole it from me.

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thats sucks loud:angry::angry::angry:

I ain't got one but my neighbor has one i can use any time i want. I scout and hunt off foot, but ther're nice to haul meat on. I been using a canoe and trolling motors the past few years and really like that approach to the woods.

8. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    I've got a Honda Foreman 420 05 model 4x4 with auto transmission. I use it a heck of a lot here around the house. I live in the country, and if I am off work and at home and outside, I'm probably on it, lol.

It came in real handy yesterday when I killed that big ole doe on opening morning and she ran off into a cutover. Drove right out to where she was and loaded her up and came to the house.

Can't imagine not having one around here!

don3778

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    still use the boots to get me there. no atv's for me.

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    No Kidding, I am lucky to have a truck to get me to my spot

11. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Darn Fellows, I am still using a Honda Big Red three wheeler that we've had since the 80's. Toughest motor and machine I've ever seen. Went through kids, grandkids and my fat butt with very little trouble. When I update, if I ever do, guess what brand I'll be buying. But it looks like it will make it as long as I will need one.

12. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I can walk in more quietly or as reload mentioned pedal power is fast and not as noisy as a 4 wheeler if terrain isnt too rough . But we use the 4 wheeler to get em out if it will be to hard on the truck .Honestly I dont wanna drag a deer 10 ft. If Idont have too . Even though I still can well drag it 20ft anyways .:big_smile:

13. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I use a Honda 400 foreman and I love it. It's strong enough for everything I need to do plus it is small enough to still get into tight places.

The area I hunt has no road frontage and I have to travel thru the woods about a mile just to get to the property that I have permission to hunt on.
    With my bad knees, back, and hips there is no way I could hunt that property without a fourwheeler to retrieve my game or to get my deer stands in.

Thank you Honda for making such a great, strong and powerful machine that makes it possible for me to still do the things I love.

14. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

Thats why i bought one of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0027660222058a.shtml

I haven't had a deer in it yet, but i've put over 2 dozen duck decoys (in a bag) with 2 fully loaded hunting stools in it and it slid very easy. I even used it to pull my daughter around the yard last year when we got a couple inches of snow. Its holding up really well even after being pulled over some oyster shell roads. After the outrageous shipping costs it was still a heck of a lot cheaper than a used 4 wheeler. I'd love to have a 4 wheeler, it just isn't in the budget

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use the good ol huntin boots. we walk miles in sometimes and drag or carry our kill out. it's a pain in the butt, and i am in no means saying i am against using an atv. if i could afford one, you bet your hind end i would rather use it! someday i will seriously try to get one, when my back finally gives out...

16. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I use the ol boots to get in and out of the woods but when i kill a deer we either use the tractor or the 4 wheeler just depends on where it's at.but i've always wanted an electric golf cart i think it would be perfect for where i hunt and they are nice and quiet.

17. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like those (BAD BOY BUGGYs) they are the 4x4 electric cart. those things will go anywere my polaris will go. only thing I realy would hate is the cost of replacing the batteries:eek:oooh:man that cart is loaded with um too.

18. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    We drive our trucks out to the lease and park about 1/2 mile from the stands and walk in. I am fortunate enough that we have decent roads all around the ranch to get the game out. Matter of fact friday night I put an arrow in a 200 lbs sal just after dark. She dropped about 20 yards from the road. She was fairly easy to get to.

If I had the money I would get a Bad Boy Buggy. They are Sweeeeet.