How many trips do you make

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Jan 26, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I consider flathead season here in Ohio from april thru november.

I probably get out 25 times in that time frame exclusivly for flatheads.

How much do you get out?

2. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    This past year I really targeted the flatheads so it was like every friday and saturday with only a couple nights of fishing for meat for the freezer

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    cool question before steve brown taught me how to drift fish for blues in the lake about 3 or 4 years ago. i spent all april to november chasing flats on the banks of the missouri river and feeder creeks, and 3 medium to small lakes . in the osage river in the fall if they dam was running water caught more blues then flatheads tho on the osage. 90 % of the time at night, less people !!!!! guesing atleast 3 nights a week average probably. most of that after work until 1 pm then all nighters on my days off. man i cant believe im still married :crazy: or maybe she likes it when im gone :smile2::smile2:.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i try to make it out on the weekends. i work road construction many days daylight to dark, if i get home early one night during the week i try to go get my bait then. i often work saturdays, so i make it out prob, once a week on an average, sometimes seek in a evening trip during the week here or there.. would like to fish more, but with a wife, and daughter, my priorities have changed..rollo

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jason, thats about all I get out...I was just seeing if you were one of those guys who fishes 7 nights a week, if so you would have a unfair advatage in our contest!:wink:

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    nope, i used to fish 5 nights a week before i was married, even back into my high school days.. don't get me wrong i miss them years, but wouldn't trade them back for what i have now. i will say this will be pretty even with fishing days. i usually go on saturday nights. i gave up alot of tournaments last year due to my added desire to catch lake flatheads, and this year will be the same. i have caught my share of river flats, and am bored with it. i wanna catch a big boy!! the muskingum is a great fishery, but i think my chances of catching a 60 is gonna happen faster on the lakes.. with only limited nights to fish, i try to really target certain areas so im not wasting my time.. the only thing i can say is i haven't figured the lake flats out yet. if anyone thought river flats can be finicky and unpredictable, go to your local lake and try!!! they can be caught, but many nights out to catch on sometimes. you will prob. just get one entry from me jack, i don't post many of my pic.s due to alot of area is in the photos and i don't care to show. skip asked me the other day why i don't post them, he and some of these guys on here have seen them, i prob. have caught as many if not more 20-30 pound fish as anyone in this area, not pumping my chest here...trust me!! but, just really don't get thrilled about posting them of myself...its not what im about..i post alot of things here and im sure some may get tired of seeing ...rollo.. but i feel no personal gain or want to post alot of pic.s to say look at me. im just an average fisherman, that has fished a ton of nights, and prob. should have more to show for than what i do for fishing that many nights...rollo

7. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Last year ... 2007... I had boat in shop until mid June .... from then until the end of Sept. (when I moved back to Ohio) I fished 57 days for cats .... It was easy then ... flipped a switch and boat was in the water ... Now it will be tow and go .......

8. Myk88

Myk88 New Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    Let's see, I usually try to fish Sat. and Sun. mornings, and stop by the river at least 1 time on my way home from work a week. somewhere around 100 trips per year I guess.

9. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    I hit the GMR south of Dayton this past season probably a dozen times on my day off Thursday with or without Silvermark stalking flats. I fished for channels near Troy, I guy pulled out a nice flattie on a chub one morning up that far north, with my friend TJ most Sundays if we weren't wading the Mad river targeting Brook trout and Bass AKA BAIT!. Hope to head out a little more often this coming summer, April is consumed by morel mushroom hunting so my catfishing season starts in May typically. If someone gathers bait, I would go after a nice morel dinner at night during April but I usually help or just plain gather the bluegills when I head south for Flatties and after hitting the hills gathering bait before would be tough.

10. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I try to get out every day,weather permitting, with a lot of all nighters

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    every day!! now you are pushing me into withdrawl!!! lol...rollo

12. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Last year? 0 trips for flats...

This year? As many as I can get outta rollo and skip and shawn and all the rest who've offered to let me tag along - plus what I manage on my own... I'm gonna guess at least once or twice a week, average... :smile2:

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im sure we can get you jump started jerry.. i even have some bank spots i will show you...rollo

14. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hope so... the wife saw pics of what you guys have been catchin'.

On the way home, she asked me why I was spending all my time catchin bait.
    :sad2:

15. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Last year i got out about 2 or 3 times a week. Im gonna try to go even more this year i wanna catch me a monster flat.

16. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I usually get out every weekend, or atleast I try to. Usually during the warmer months I chased flats primarily. But I think this year I will mix it up and chase flatheads and blues, just depends on what body of water I am fishing..

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Since I am a teacher, I have mid June through early September off or approximately 80 summer days off.

In the past 4 years, I have kept myself busy targeting flatheads here in the PHilly area.

Of theose 80 days off, I probably fish for flatheads 60 days or should I say nights.

Here is a quick synopsis of my summer: I go catch bait around 6:00 PM, I get to my hole by 7:30. I fish until I want to go home. I go to sleep and wake around 1:00 PM and prepare for that night's flathunt. It's like going on a 2 and a half month flathead trip.

It's a fisherman's dream to have your summer off. Again, I will spend the summer of 2008 doing the same thing over, and over, and over again.

18. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    once a week at least either i fish from around 7pm to 3 am or get up really early head to wally world to get goldfish and be on the bank by 3 am and fish to 9am in the morning. when i can not fish them at night i hit them early spring and fall also then I a try to hit area with heavy brush timber or low dams casting my bluegill or goldfish into a deep hole for them two or three low dams I target also rick

19. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    I went out 2 times aweek April to november.
    My Wife Would like that to change .
    So now 3 times a week.Tuesday thursday an saturday.
    With my lawn care being April to november its hard.
    Have plan to sleep on boat.An wait to hear the clickers.

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I only fish one to two days per week on average, sometimes every other week, if the river is high or its POURING rain, (I'm gettin too old to sit in a boat all night during a Thunderstorm just to watch the pretty lights.) LOL

I fish from Jan. til Dec. So I'd have to say about 60 days per year.