how many times to fish a spot

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Dec 14, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im a bank guy so i am limated to movment,lets say you go out to a spot that you have got big flats once or twice but you keep going back and get nothing for weeks,what should you do, i have been known to fish three main plces to get maby 5 big flats a summer,should i move to new places all the time or wait the old places out until i get a big flathead

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Ive caught fish out of the same spot over and over again. I'd like to think that some might be the same fish but I cant back that up since I cant tag any...I do believe in constantly scouting for other spots so that you can have a back up plan to coincide with water conditions and so forth. I also think that big flatheads are pretty smart fish. They might not bite at all for a long time...so you gotta just try to be there when that fish does decide to.

3. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i have about 12-15 different spots that i jump around and hit, when one spot doesn't pan out i move to the next and just keep jumpin around til i find fish, seems like different seasons the fish are in sections.

4. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    Yeah I need to find some more spots. I have about 7 but I like one spot the most so I fish It most often.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I fish the same spots continually,unless they arent producing. If you take fish out ,there is always a new batch to move into it .

6. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    My Son fishes the same old spot time after time and always catches "something" and it's generally in the 10lb or more catagory. It would be nice to have several alternative spots in my mind and I DID have a few when I bank fished, so I guess it's a personal preference type thing. I enjoyed some spots better than others simply because of comfort and ease of access. Now that I have a boat I don't seem to get back there very often.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've been fishin one spot for 3 years now so I don't move much...I save that for boat trips.

This spot produces well but a few times a year it slows down out there....but I still find smaller fish. I could fish other spots but this one is hard to get down to unless you have a 4wd, nobody bugs me, no one can see me, and I can drive slap up to the water. Its nice to be able to fish out of the back of a truck. If I'm tired I just go to sleep ; )

8. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    if a spots known to hold big fish,stick it out.if your fishin' for big flats,its a waiting game.i have fished a spot 5 min. and caught a bigun,but on the other hand i,ve fished a spot 2 wks. straight before finally hookin up.them flats do their own thang,if you know the hole holds gooduns stick it out.still you can't have too many good holes.

and also if its a river,a hole can change from year to year.atleast down here,it can fill with sand,or structure that was present could break loose and move down river.stuff can change a productive hole from year to year.a real deep whole is less likely to change though,in my oppinion.

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I like to concentrate on a 1/2 dozen spots a year.If I go fishless at a spot twice in a row,I,ll go on the move to find em in one of my other spots.I also got spots I hit early and spots I hit late.It depends on past experiences.That,s why I like keeping good logs,I can go back and see what holes were hot at what time of year and water temperature.I also keep the different rivers flow rates in my log.It makes a difference.

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks i will put that in mind this spring,i feel like im not doing well for as long as i been fishing,i mean most of you guys get alot of 30 plus pound flatheas a seoson i get 5 lol and thats going 3 times a week

11. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    doin better than i am i had one 30+ flat this year, and i fished about 5 or 6 times a week!

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well mabey im not the onley lol,i did get alot of tens

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sounds like you do OK Jake,, No one's keeping score..Are they??:wink::big_smile:

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    me, you always progress never regress,,,,,,this year i will get more blues and flats. so in a way i keep a score on my self,i dont like to regress,:eek:oooh:

15. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    just keep it fun,if you get so wrapped up in the numbers that its all you think about,and fishin is no longer fun.then its not worth it.just keep it fun the bigguns will come.there is a learning curve involved any way,and you can't rush that.just enjoy'

16. shaky

shaky Member

State:
    smithville mo
    Try to think about why the spots you fish, holds fish; cover, structer, time of day, and time of year. Then think about how they can be better and take the time to scout out those types of places. I do the majority of my fishing from the bank too. I fish a lot of small wind blown coves and feeder creek mouths, that has shallow water with close access to deep water close to the bank with lots of timber, standing and fallen

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    slik, I'm a 99% banker too!

You gotta MOVE or find new spots. I have spots that produce during spring and suck balls during summer and is good again in fall. Other spots only in summer and other spot only produce fish during spring.

I don't think they are in the same area all year round (pre-spawn, spawn, and post spawn). Don't live and die with just 3 spots.

One thing I do in the winter is scoping out new potential spots. The river is usually low and there are no leaves on the tree so you can see the river better.

18. Balex123

Balex123 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey good stuff Pat. I've never really thought about keeping a log. From now on, I'm going to log my data for future reference.

19. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Logs will make a big difference in as little as a couple years Bryan.You always think you,re gonna remember where you were hitting them during the different seasons and flow rates,etc,but after a while it kind of blends in if you get out enough.The rivers are always changing some,but they stay the same enough that after awhile your log becomes like an :wink:eek:perating manual for ya.

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Slikk, if you dont carry your flatheads you catch around in the boot end of your car, and release them into a ditch, you should be able to catch flatheads from the same spot many times...But if you deplete the stock in a hole just comon sense there are going to be less to catch..

carry a camera with you and release them back into the same spot you caught them..They will grow bigger, and spawn and make more flatheads for you to catch.

But spots will change over time, I have had floods fill in holes, and cover such as trees will rot away...But I have one spot that I can catch a few big flatheads out of every year, been doing it for many years.