How many times have you been finned by a catfish? What was your worst one?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Fisher14, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    OK guys, since there are always posts like this, I was just curious at how many times people are stuck by catfish. I know it can be a painful situation, depending on how bad he/she gets ya. Also, does anyone have any good stories about being finned by a cat? Just trying to generate some more chat for our amusement!! :big_smile:

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    0, I have never been finned by a freshwater catfish. (Better be careful next time out huh)

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I dropped an 8 pounder a couple of months ago. His fin went through 2 layers of leather and the Gore-Tex lining of my brand new boots, ending up about 1/2" deep in the top of my foot. Took about a week to get over that one. And my "guaranteed to keep you dry" boots aren't anymore.

4. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I don't seem to have any problem with fish over 2 pounds but the little dinks seem to get me just about every time I through one back in. They seem to twist just as I am letting go and they get me.

5. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I've been finned by 2 channels and 1 bullhead. The channels weren't bad, but the bullhead lit me up!

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

more than a few and its always by the little guys when it happens when I am trying to release them. The worst one was my own fault though I was releasing a very small 8-10 inch fish and slipped on a big wet rock and went down hard. the little cat never had a chance both fins went all the way in and I couldn't pull them out of my hand without pliers. As for the little cat he did not pass in vain he was put to use as bait and caught a bigger fish swollen hand and all.

7. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    My reply to that is either your one lucky son of a gun , real windy or never caught many catfish . :roll_eyes:

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Two times for me, the worst being a fin through the tip of my index finger, a blue cat. Did a little dance at that time , a painfull one.

9. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I use to get stuck alot throwing the little ones back in, not for the last few years though. I grab a towel and then grab little boogars now. then I just shake them out of the towel back in yhe water.

When I was a teenager, I was climbing over a barb wire fence and when I lifted my biggest cat ever, 10.5lbs, over he got me in the forearm, laid it open like a knife. Wrapped it up with electrical tape and kept on fishing the rest of the night. Healed up really good, I can't even see the scar anymore, courst that could be my eyes also.

10. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    got finned this past weekend helping unhook the large cat my wife cought....she was so excited she jerked on the rod while i was still trying to unhook em...right between the first and second fingers...OUCH

11. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I've been finned by a catfish once and it really wasn't that bad.

12. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That is how they get me. I bought a pair of fish handling gloves the other day that I'm going to give a try.

I would say the worst fin job done on me was a little saltwater catfish that I caught of the beach at Panama City, FL. The saltwater only made it sting worse!

13. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hmmm i think i've gotten finned more times than i can count......the worst was from this fiddler channel cat ohhhh man....it got me in that skin between your thumb and pointer finger i remember it hurt for days....but i know an old timers trick since then. if you get finned rub the wound across the fish's belly. the pain goes away instantly

14. FROG

FROG New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    more times than I can count or care to think about

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Ive been stuck more times over the years than I can count. The most recent was the worst its been two weeks and 2 days and it hasnt quite heeled yet. It was a 9.5 Lb. blue I picked it up to take a picture before I released it. It was pretty mad and I dropped it twice both times its horn scraped across my finger in the same spot both times. Normally the bigger fish are easier to handle most of the time the little ones are the ones that will get you. but on them ive learned you can rub the spot that was horned on the belly of the fish and it will take alot of the sting out dont know why but it works. Or at least it works on a poke but didnt do much for the scrape:big_smile: .

16. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary

Just never a live one :lol::lol: see Deer Creek in Ohio section there are pics of the 2 that he caught or snagged

17. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I was holding a 5 pounder one time, he flipped and I dropped him, it cut all the way down the inside of my leg... It was great:angry:

18. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was carrying a little channel up the side of a river bank one time, slipped and the barb on the side of the fish went through the meat of my middle finger......talk about pain, it was worse pulling it back out the same hole, there is like little hooks that hold on, on the barbs

19. youngcatfisherman55

youngcatfisherman55 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Never, but I've been with someone who has while fishing.

20. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    This may sound like a load of BS but it's the truth. Once I was tasked with cleaning a mess of bullhead cats for a fry that my uncle was doing. The fish had been in his freezer for a few days and were left to thaw in the sink. when I went to pick this one up to start cleaning him, he finned me in my palm! I thought to myself "no way he is still alive!" Sure enough, his gills started moving like was waking up. I went and got my uncle to show him and he said something about the fish coming out of hibernation? I dont know...but that is the first time I got finned. the fish tasted good by the way:big_smile: .