How many throws before you give up?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by harper81, Nov 4, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    I am going on a mission today to find shad. I am heading to the lake and I am going to start on one end and hit every boat ramp until I reach the other end. So my question is how many times should I throw the cast net in each spot before I give up? I figure if I throw 10-15 times with no luck I might as well move on. What so you guys think?

2. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    me, personally brother, I throw once, if I catch nothin, I move 6 feet throw again, and continue till I catch something. just keep moving down th bank till I get somethin, but actually th best time to get shad is early in th a.m. an late in th afternoon, around dusk. u get your bigguns those times an u can cut them there or take them whole and cut them later.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If they are there, you will only get a few throws before they spread out. If they are not there don't waste your time and energy on a dead spot. Find a spill way or some type of overflow pipe going out of the lake or one coming into a river. Shad prefer current.:wink:

4. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Listen to these guys. I would steer you wrong because half of the time I can't get the darn net to open up like it should so I probably scare off the shad that could have been caught.

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I may make half a dozen throws in a good area where I've caught them before, but no two throws are in the same spot.

6. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Wait untill you see them flipping on the surface, then thow your net. Just like txthumper said, they flip at dawn and dusk.

7. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Bill,
    In my area, I normally throw in or near the mouth of creeks, and around any boat docks that may be there. Normally, if you see some flipping on the surface and you throw the net there, you will get several at a time. If you throw and get nothing, move on, dont waste your time there. Try in the morning or in the evening, thats the best time usually. Also try in the main channel of the creeks, I tend to find them there in about 4 or 5 feet of water, with these being some bigger ones also. Hopes this helps some. rspd507

8. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I just keep moving until I find them. Sometimes the size and weight of the net can make a difference. The last time out I was throwing a 7 ft net with 1 lb of lead per ft and catching a few. When I switched to a 10 ft net with 1.5 lbs of lead per ft, my catch really went up-and I was throwing it in the same spot. Of course the heavier net takes alot out of you throwing it alot of times.

9. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    One or two, listen to these guys, you can catch shad by blind throwing, but if you "fish" for them and wait, you can get all your bait in a short time. If you are throwing blindly, you will scare them, be patient.

10. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    If I'm bank fishing and shad are not on the surface, I hold a small bright flashlight with my mouth and use a head lamp and walk slowly down the bank and watch for the big gizzards running from the light. Doing this is how I ussually catch 10-14 inch shad. Also you don't kill yourself throwing the net 100 times.
    Chip

11. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well if it's 530am and the temperature is below 45 and i am with Johnny on the boat before a tournament 1 throw my friends:eek:oooh::tounge_out::smile2: it;s either sink or swim with 1. Nothing worse than being soaked when it's near freezing out....so needless to say there is quite a "few" times we just dont get shad!!:smile2::eek:oooh: But we dont really care.....we got skips to launch at those bad boy's. every tournament, all year long.:big_smile:

12. CatfishHntr

CatfishHntr New Member

State:
    Texas
    Have you ever ripped a cast? Save the main line & THE LEAD. Tie that main line too your new 4 1/2-5' cast net. I throw my 6' 3x, then Grab the 50' -main line 4 1/2' net. Throw couple of fan cast past where 6' max'd out. Change spot's! Try again. Exhausting, but worth it. Good Luck!

13. enfausen

enfausen New Member

State:
    Indiana (Rising Sun)
    Definatly don't wast your time throwing 10 or 15 times in the same spot. It's best if you wait till you see some flipping. If you throw a few times, and don't catch anything move on.

14. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i never scene em flipping, but i normally find luck right where theres a break in some vegetation, and by boat docks. i usually stay in a general area and throw 15-20 times before finding a different area to throw in.