How many throw their bait back

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by DELLIS, May 30, 2006.

1. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    How many of you throw your bait back that you catch when your done fishing reason i ask i went fishing on Monday morning saw some guys and when they left i thought i saw something jumping and sure enough must have been 2 or 3 dozen creek chubs laying on the bank to die

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    If it's good cut bait it goes back to the freezer, If it's good live bait that will make good cut bait it goes to the freezer, If it's live bait that I can't keep then they are free to go!

3. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I only use cut so don't catch but a few at a time.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe the Oklahoma State Department of Wildlife pamphlet which contains the condensed version of our laws state you are NOT to throw your bait into the water when you leave. I think the reason for this is that people often catch bait in one lake/river and fish in another lake/river. They don't want the spread of Zebra mussels or snakeheads in our waters if it can be prevented. They have lost the war on zebra musels but not on the snakehead so far.

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If I got the bait where I am fishing (normally the case) I will throw it back in waters. If I got it somewhere else, Missouri regs state you have to bury it.

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I always throw back the bluegills I have left over. The other bait such as chicken livers etc go back home.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I always throw my unused bait back in the water and give the fish a free meal. But you said they threw thiers on the bank to die that in my opinion is not only un sportsman like but also un sanitary creating odor and fly problems for the next person coming along to fish in that location.:crazy: :angry: 777

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Same here. I remember reading about this in a pamphlet that i got from Game and fish. The gills that I get are usually from the same water way that they go to though.

9. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Same in Calif. If it didnt come from the water you are fishing in, dont throw it in! When I use store bought live bait, I bring home what I dont use for another day!

10. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    It's all pretty silly if you ask me.
    1) The critters they are concerned about could be on your boat.
    2) You can throw off a bait fish and it could survive.
    3) I catch my bait at Olathe Lake. I fish the Kaw and the MO. I'm not supposed to release my bait from Olathe Lake into these rivers, but thats exactly what happens every time we get a good rain. Olathe Lake spills into Cedar Creek, Cedar Creek goes into the Kaw, The Kaw spills into the MO.

So, I release my bait fish.

11. tim121

tim121 New Member

I agree - on days you can't catch 'em - you can always feed em.

12. meat_hunter

meat_hunter New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    put it on ice or freeze it for later.

13. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    I usually fish the same holes so I just throw my bait back in the same spot. That way maybe the fish get use to having food there, and next time they may be there for me to catch. I use to bring back home and freeze but the bait doesn't stay on so good after refreezing. I also forgot to take the bait out one night after a long trip and man my truck stunk for a while so now I just throw it back and make the fish fatter.:big_smile:

14. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    i usually throw it back, i dont freeze it , because it usually makes the fish all nasty and hard to keep on the hook

15. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    The Blue gills I catch for live Bait from a farm pound are huge and when I'm done fishing I take them home and EATUM UP. the rest I take home and dispose of them, Usualy bury then in the garden makes good feteralizer. Bigcatman0816

16. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    If I have any shad left I throw them back. I always take them from the same River that I fish with them in.

17. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Dont know what the law is here in Pa but i always throw my bait back in the water.

18. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    hopefully when i go fishing i don't have any bait left over....lol but if i do i usually bring home the live bait

19. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I take it home and freeze it or if it's minnows I throw an aquarium air pump in with'em. I also dry minnows for emergency bait. At my house, you need to be real carefull about what ya eat out'a the freezer!:big_smile:

20. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    USED TO THROW IN THE WATER TO FEED THE FISH UNTIL I READ AN ARTICLE ON THOSE DARN ZEBREA MUSSELS. FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND THEY ARE OUT OF CONTROL.SO I DON'T THROW MY BAIT IN THE WATER ANY MORE. DO YOU SUPPOSE MAYBE THAT WHY I NEVER CATCH ANY FISH. :lol: