How many Spinning Reel user do we have in the B.O.C.?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by shania, Jun 9, 2006.

1. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I made an upgrade to my spinning outfit and I love it. :big_smile_2:
    I got a "Shimano Baitrunner"(photo below).
    But I was just woundering, how many members of the B.O.C. use them (Spinning Reels of any kind)? :roll_eyes:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

Attached Files:

2. cornbreadnky

cornbreadnky New Member

State:
    Elizabethtown, Kentucky
    i have 3 spinning rigs and 12 bait casting rigs... i love my spinning rigs because i can get ineo tighter spots with them and i think i myself i can control the fish better... i will always have my spinning rigs..

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Shimano Is a Great Reel. All I use is spinning equipment. The last Shimano I bought, I fell in love with! It's the SUSTAIN 2500FD I ordered it from Cabelas.

4. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A little hard to read, but is that a 6500B?

That's what I just started using too.

Right now I use nothing but spinning reels for all of my fishing. I am too out of practice for baitcasters, and spincast reels have gone down too much in quality for me to think about them (oh, for the days of the early 70s Zebco 33).

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I use 14 PENN 7500s and nothing else.I drift fish a lot and spinners retrieve line a lot faster than the BCs do.I usually have 75 yds of line out so that is important to me.Never had a fish back me down yet and I use 80lb braid on them.:smile2:

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I have spinning reels and baitcasters aint nothing wrong with any of them love spinning reels for certian things and thats a nice looking reel there Bert.

7. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Wow, I never realized that type of reel choice was so controversial!:lol: How the heck did this end up in HI?

8. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Beats me lol. :lol:

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have 8 open-faced spinners, 14 closed-faced spinners (or spincasters), and 3 baitcasters.

i love the open-faced spinners. if you pay 30 plus bucks for one you get a nice smooth reel. i have 2 or 3 that are in the $70+ range and they are really nice reels.

i like the closed-faced spinners for going to the river. they keep the sand out better.

my baitcasters are somewhat collectors items, for me anyway.

i keep threatening to learn to use a baitcaster, but i like my spinners so much it probably isn't going to happen.

10. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I never could get into using a spincaster lol I do like my spinning rigs a lot though.

11. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    baitcasters are for gay kids. there now the thread is HI worthy:tounge_out:

12. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    I love my big Okuma EF65 Bert

13. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was thinking same thing then it came to me.
    Some may get aggressive if bringing up a baitcaster reel.
    Have you ever back lash, bird nest a bait caster at night with no light and the fish are biting. That can bring in some pretty strong language into this thread. LOL. :tounge_out:
    ------------------------------------
    I like both types of reels but the spinning reels are much easier to use. If I buy another one it will be spinning reel. Sometimes I share my R&R and many can't cast a baitcaster well. :roll_eyes:
    I dont like it when others give me back a bird nest to fix. LOL.:sad2:

I think you got a good reel Bert.:cool2:
    Good luck on your fishing :smile2:

14. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Okay, so now that this thread is where it is supposed to be, maybe someone could get rid of this post so we don't offend our younger members...joke or no joke.

15. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I have two Shakespeare spinning setups right now. Since reading an article in the In-Fisherman annual, I am looking at getting one of the bait-runner spinning reels next. I'd rather worry about the fish than the 'nest I have a gift for creating.

16. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have used spinning reels all my life. I have always loved them. I grew up fighting fish without the drag. I use the backreel switch. I give them what they want and bring them in when they are tiring.

I have two baitcasters that I have been using lately. I like them, but not having the backreel can really mess me up. And if there is backreel on the Abu 6000 or the 7000c3, I haven't found it. I really don't like how much weight you need to use to get the most out of a baitcaster. I went from using mostly 1/4 ounce egg sinkers on my spincast to now having to use 1-2 oz. on the baitcaster. It seems like overkill. I maybe just doing it wrong though.

17. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    since cats here rarely grow over 20 pounds, though reported frequently, i fish with mainly bait casters mainly to get out of snags with more power. but when it comes time to when i need to cast far and my bait casters wont do it then it is time for my spinnin combonation! i think it doesnt have as much power but casts very far!

18. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    now i mainly use baitcasters for strength but i do use my spinning reels occasionally for casting distance and controlability! HEY IM NOT GAY!!!!!!!!!:crazy:

19. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have half a dozzen of each and a few spincasters and a couple of fly reels. as well! Each one has a time and place and is perfect for the job!
    Berts new reel is very nice. I believe I reeled in the first fish on it, lol! I was amazed at the retrieve ratio. It had that two pound channel on plane:big_smile: It also has a nice loud clicker!
    I was very impressed with it!

Attached Files:

20. M Welch

M Welch New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm a HUGE fan of spinning reels. I should have stock in Shimano. I think nothing beats the cranking power of a nice salt water spinner when fighting from the bank.

-M Welch