How many species of catfish are there?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catcam, Jun 11, 2008.

1. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hello my BOC brothers and sisters-

Can you please help me out and tell me how many species of catfish there are in the world?

How many species of catfish are there in the southern region of the United States?

Thanks so much
    Jennifer

2. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    Lets see in the southeast US there are i think 5 different species and in the world im not real sure about. If im worng someone correct me please

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
  4. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    from what i googled how many in the world is between 2000 and 3000

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    to my knowledge in the south we have flatheads, blues, channel cats, white cats, and a few different species of bullheads. and also i've heard of a catfish in either texas or florida that actually walks on land, i forget what they call em.....bassmassey

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    There are only 2 kinds:
    Those I have caught and those I haven't. The second group is much larger:wink:
    ...W

7. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for the information, appreciate it! :wink: If anyone gets the exact/ or approx. number on the catfish species in the south, let me know. I'm having a hard time finding it on-line. Jennifer

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Lots. Or, more scientifically, "LOTS AND LOTS"

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I know there are many diferent species....but I'm only interested in 1 !!!!!!!!
    .............................Big Ole Mr. Flathead!:big_smile:

11. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    There are 3023 different species of catfish in the world. What I have found for down south, our most popular are; flatheads, blues, channel cats, white cats, and a few different species of bullheads. Thanks to all that replied. Jennifer

12. Foam Steak

Foam Steak New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I know there are a few types of saltwater catfish found down south as well. The Gafftopsail and Hardhead. I have caught some of the Gafftopsail but never cleaned or ate them.

13. cod26

cod26 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    the walking catfish is its common name it is found in florida it (walks) from pond to pond in search of food and deeper water it has even been known to cross road ways and can go without water for a pretty long time for a fish

14. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Gafftops are good eating, my kids like them grilled with some cajun seasoning... Hardheads are just a nuisence and even a slight swipe from their spine will leave a mark. Full spine will swell your hand up like a balloon... Cobia are sort of a catfish/shark looking fish, also saltwater.. (they may not count...) Good luck with your search.

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Its lots of species of catfish out there.

16. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Foam Steak
    Check out this thread I started many moons ago. Thanks for your post. Jennifer
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11759&page=2

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I take my class on a field trip to the Academy of Natural Arts and Science Museum in Philadelphia every year. There they have an exhibit on the worlds catfish species. From what I learned, catfish can be found in any continent in the world. And they are the most widely eaten fish in the world.

18. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hi Blacky
    I think catfish are on every continent except Antarctica. Or have they been discovered there, as well? That would be one cool fish! Haha. Thanks Jennifer

19. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I don't count Antartica as a contintent.

It should be a place where the send all the unproductive members of America's scoiety to.

peace otu, Jennifer!