Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9,521 Posts
Depends on the fishing environment. Do you fish near alot of snags, rocks, barges, trees, logjams, etc? How often you fish? how many rods do you use? What type of sinkers do you need? Ie no rolls, egg sinkers, dragging, drifting etc some spots I fish I never break off and some bodys of water or locations You can run through 20 16oz in a couple months

·
Registered
104 Posts
I fish a lot of snag riddled rivers, its common to lose 1-2 sinkers per trip (6 or 8 oz). Loosing none is a surprise and loosing 3 or more starts to get aggravating... lol
I use bank sinkers for anchor fishing and a home made dragging sinker when we drift/drag that rarely snags.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,339 Posts
More than I like to admit to in the river but hardly none in lakes and ponds. I like to start out with 20 pounds or so that makes 2lbs of 1 oz bank sinkers(32), 6lbs of 2 oz bank sinkers(48), 6lbs of 3 oz river sinkers(30), 6lbs of 4 oz river sinkers(24). If more weight is needed I double or triple them up.
I fish a lot through spring and summer and lose plenty after the river floods each time. I'm always needing more sinkers by August.
Fishing on the bank it always seems your reeling into the snags instead of away from them. I went with a few higher gear ratio reels that helps me from losing the whole rig from just reeling in from the bank. Just a few inches per turn sometimes helps.
I also prefer to lose my sinker instead of the fish on the hook.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I fish the Ohio and actually loose very few. Most of my fishing is free drifting with a 2 to 6 oz. no roll above a barrel swivel with a circle hook on a leader below that. I use a braid above the swivel and a lighter mono below with most of my snags resulting in breaking off the leader and salvaging the swivel and sinker. I do spend a great deal of time and effort attempting to dislodge my rigs when they do hang. I fish on average three days a week mid April through Oct. and would guess I loose no more than 15 per year.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
i dont lose many but i dont give up on em easily either. lll pull the boat around to the other direction and try to free it up.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
When we're at anchor in the shallows we never get the boat to hold perfectly still, so after I cast I leave slack in the lines so the boat doesn't drag me into a snag. Hasn't seemed to affect the bite any and I reel in high & fast so I prolly only lose 12-20 a year?

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
Not many anymore. I use just about anything heavy that sinks for a sinker. I switched to a three way rig and i think it gets snagged alot less frequently than the Carolina rig. Im gonna try concrete in a muffin pan with some eye screws sticking out to make my own. Anyone know if i should use cupcake liners or spray it down with cooking spray first!?

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,339 Posts
Not many anymore. I use just about anything heavy that sinks for a sinker. I switched to a three way rig and i think it gets snagged alot less frequently than the Carolina rig. Im gonna try concrete in a muffin pan with some eye screws sticking out to make my own. Anyone know if i should use cupcake liners or spray it down with cooking spray first!?
I used quickcrete with styrofoam cups and treble hooks. It measured out a little over 9 ounces for a coffee cup size cup. Half cup around 5 ounces.
It makes one big splash and hell to reel in over top of snags.

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,441 Posts
I have one of them big cheap brass swivels with a bunch of heavy duty rubber bands on it and I will use a big rock and put the bands all around it. Sometimes it works good sometimes not. Its more of just a backup incase I run outta lead.

I was looking for a lead alternative because I feel like it has a smell to it and I know if I smell it then a flathead surely can smell it and my thought was the smell could turn a big flathead thats been around awhile, away from my bait. Now like I said thats just my thought, I know guys catch big flatheads while using lead.

But they get big for a reason, they're smart...and of course CPR

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
I have one of them big cheap brass swivels with a bunch of heavy duty rubber bands on it and I will use a big rock and put the bands all around it. Sometimes it works good sometimes not. Its more of just a backup incase I run outta lead.

I was looking for a lead alternative because I feel like it has a smell to it and I know if I smell it then a flathead surely can smell it and my thought was the smell could turn a big flathead thats been around awhile, away from my bait. Now like I said thats just my thought, I know guys catch big flatheads while using lead.

But they get big for a reason, they're smart...and of course CPR
Defintely. I feel like the bigger flatheads especially ones over 50 or 60lbs got that big because theyre smarter than the average fish.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts