how many runs at night

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Sep 25, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i only get one or two chances a night if i fail to hook the fish thats it, but i fish friom 5 to 1 am, should i be fishing from dark to lite for a beeter chance of more bites, wen do they start prowling the shallows and flats, i never get a bite before ten, id love to get them in the day but you need a boat for that

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    When fishing all night, I typically get my best runs starting at sunset and it will continue for about 2 hours. The bite will slow and pick up again about 1-2 hours before sunrise and last for about 2 hours after. Some of these times will be dicated by the moon. Full moon equals a large amount of shadows and the flatheads don't care much for that.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    hour before dark till midnight on my waters. if you are only getting 2 hits a night you better find a more secluded spot! dont sound like you have a very heavy population, be it from nature or man. get out away from any towns and you will usually get more fish.

4. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I agree with Scum. If you are only getting 2 runs a night you should move locations. I like to fish an hour before dark (deeper water), Then when it gets dark I start fishing the shallower water. I stay out till I run out of bait (sunrise). I have found most of my bites come in the first couple of hours. I have caught big ones at 1:30am but it isn't normal for around here.

5. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    It's different everywhere you go and it's different during different seasons and different days. I've caught several during the day bank fishing. I've had weeks where the only time I could get hits was right at sundown and then later I can only get hits in the middle of the day. You need to feel it out and keep a line in the water as much as possible.

6. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    From dark till about midnight then it seems to slow down. In the fall they can bite good in the daytime.

7. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    I have the best luck from an hour before dark until about 1:00
    But I know some fellers that only fish during the day and they catch a lot of fish

8. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    At the spots I fish it is very common to not get any bites. In fact more times than not I get NO bites at all and whenever I go I put in some serious time. But then all of the sudden I might catch 2 or 3 fish on a day or night out. It is very puzzling to me. I often wonder, are they not there? are they just not biting? It is strange. Places to fish are very hard to find around here. Although the river is huge you just can't physically get to the water except in a few places. So I'm pretty much stuck fishing in the same 2 or 3 spots. kinda sucks

9. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    on my river they start around 9 pm-midnight. then you may get some here and there but they put the feed bag on at 4 am til 7 am. that is the most consistent bite.

10. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Machetes and hatchets and palets my friend. You can make your very own fishing spot no one knows about. You can even shovel some dirt to make it more level. Sometimes I think it's not worth it then people start fishing near me at a spot and that drives me to go make a new spot!

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    but how many poll bendind bites should a experaced fisher get, also i have no boat to move locations, but i think i found a good spot i got bites all night, but i faild to get to the poll in time , i think ill put a rod holder in the ground on one poll ive only caught 6 flatheads all year and i go ever friday night, is this a low number for all you guys, i get alot of channel cats, but not alot of flatheads,

12. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Thanks for the very useful suggestions chris. Unfortunately the two main probs I face are "posted" lands OR 150 ft. vertical drop offs that usually end at 20 or 30 yards of mud to get to the water. The last time I was feeling like Bear Grylls I ended up thigh deep in a sink hole and I was still about 20 yards from the spot I was eyeing. Navigating this type of terrain and at night time with lots of gear is just to tough for me. I'm sure there are some good spots though somewhere I just gotta find them. As for the qusetion slick asked above. I've caught 6 Flatties this year and my fishing buddy has caught 4.

13. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Hey Patrick. You should go and get some football cleats.

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <It's different everywhere you go and it's different during different seasons and different days.>

Now that's the gospel truth! The only sure thing about the catfish bite is that there are NO sureties! :wink: I urge you to pick up cans if you have to, to save money for an inexpensive boat. There's nothing like the freedom of movement on the water! That being said:

<<It's different everywhere you go and it's different during different seasons and different days.>> and...

<The only sure thing about the catfish bite is that there are NO sureties!> :)

Bill in SC

15. Flattiestalker

Flattiestalker New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats good advice Bill, you NEED a boat. Without one, you fall prey to river scums point of man/nature causing slim pickin's. You want to catch more flatties? You have got to have a boat! Start hunting them and figuring them out. They're not a dumb bluegill. It is said that they ARE the smartest fresh water fish. The flathead is second to (get this) a CARP!
    Noise in the boat, lights, where you catch your bait, etc. etc. all will affect your success.

16. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I wish I had a canoe. Then I could launch it where ever, then paddle to where ever I was fishing and bank it up stream then clear a spot out.

17. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    You can borrow mine I'll email it to you.