How many rods do you fish with?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bumper, Jun 8, 2008.

1. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    When you go catfishin', how many rods do you use? If I'm alone I usually use 4 to 6 rods while catfishin', depending on where I'm at. If someones with me, we'll throw out up to 8 rods. How many do you like to use?

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    well, i used to use 3. but one got pulled in by sumthin a couple weeks ago. and the other the top peice broke in to and split all the way down. so im down to 1. 1s all i need but im gunna buy a backup or two the next trip to the scrap yard i make.

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I only use two. Kansas has a 2 pole law with an optional third pole permit. Its sad how many limblines you can set and how many hooks you are allowed on a trot-line and you are only allowed 2 rods with 2 hooks apiece.

4. 1442ncs

1442ncs New Member

State:
    Muhlenburg, KY
    Usually I'll throw out 3 to 6 rods.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    3 is the max allowed in Joisy. And that recently changed from 2. WHOOPEEEE!

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'll usually run 3 and sometimes up to 5 or 6 if I'm somewhere that I can get them spread out well so a good fish doesn't create a giant mess if I get one on.

If I'm fishing heavy current or the river is really trashy I'll sometimes back off to 2 poles. Less time to reel up if I get a nice fish on and one less line out there to catch trash.

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Most of the time I use 2 rods. Nebraska has a 2 rod, with 2 hooks with each rod limit. Anyhow, if the cattin is great, 2 rods is all you need to stay busy.:wink:

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Maximum 2 in Lost Wages and ya got to have a stamp for that also. :roll_eyes:

9. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    2 is about all I can keep up with. Sometimes I will try 3 if the bite is slow

10. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    2 poles only, with a two pole permit.:cry:

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i can see why some of you scream for more regs. 2 pole limit here in illinois.

we have no regs on cats but we cant use 10 poles either. guess thats the balance.

12. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I bought the third rod permit, so I could fish for bait while the 2 cat- rods were out. I decided that I don't multi-task that well.

13. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sometimes 6 but no more. If I'm alone I like to use two for the most part. It's hard to reel up a line and land a fish at the same time. Sometimes in current I'll put two out the back and two out the sides straight under the boat but for some reason the bait fartherest from the boat is the one that gets bit.

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I bought the 3rd pole permit so i use 3 unless i can get some one to go:eek:oooh:

15. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    i'll use three and somtimes up to six depending on how i'm anchored

16. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Most usually 3.
    2 with bait, one to toss lures inbetween bites.

If they are hitting well, 2 is all I can keep up with.

17. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    By law I canly use 2. Hook points per line is a different story. Don't know if I could afford to loose more than one rig a a time though.

Richard

18. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Man, you guys are killing me! Minnesota has a one rod limit. There are no permits for second rods, nothing like that. There was a bill in the state congress this year to allow a second line, and it got shot down. Stupid walleyes.

Anywhere else, I'll use three or four.

19. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I use 6 to 8 poles. Like you said I use 6 poles normally but if someone is with me I will use 8. That really means that with 2 people, we have 4 each.. we will pick the poles we are going to watch.

20. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I usually use five if I am solo and six or seven with my wife, depending on the current. At Santee we were able to fish nine!