How many rods...? And why?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by PTDixieGal, Jul 10, 2008.

1. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    Just wondering about this...

My sister joined me and my dad for some serious fishing yesterday morning on the banks of the Arkansas River. Anyway, she brings her little Zebco 202 rod/reel combo with a ten pound test line. That's it.

Now here's what my dad and I bring along (I'll use the action and brand of the rod followed by the reel and test line). A heavy Mudville/Mudville with a 25 lb test line, a heavy Berkley/Zebco 808 with a 25 lb test line (both of which belong to my dad), a heavy Quantum Rhino/Zebco 808 with a 25 lb test line and a medium Ugly Stik/Zebco 404 with a 10 lb test line (both of which belong to me). I also have a Zebco Z-glass/Mitchell Avocet II with an 8 lb test line, but I opted not to bring this one as the Arkansas River has a very strong undercurrent and it's midmorning so I'm wanting to go deep. Anyway, so Dad and I start running two rods apiece and she wants to know why. We explain to her that each type of rod has a specific purpose, ie, the Rhino, Berkley and Mudville rods that we've brought can go deep and reel in larger fish. The Ugly Stik can go deep BUT since it's a lighter rod and the Arkansas has such a strong undercurrent, we're going to use it for topwater fishing. Plus, if anything were to go wrong with one rod, we can still fish because we have a second rod (which, by the way, is what happened to me...the Ugly Stik/Zebco 404 broke down on me so I ended up having to run the Rhino most of the day and on one occasion I had to run the Rhino and Dad's Mudville while he took his Berkley over to a nearby spot that looked good).

My sister looked at us like we were crazy...but are we really?

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I always said a good dirt dobber totes plenty of mud. More rods=more hooks in the water. No better fisherman than i am, i need all the help i can muster.:smile2:

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Just look at it this way the more hooks ya got in the water the better your chances are to catch that big fish.

Just remember never run more than what you can keep up with and monitor. Many times I have had as many as five or six rods out at a time on the bank and in the boat. If the bite was quick I only fished two or three but if was slow I just kept adding rods. I will also put out different baits sometimes with all the rods gives the fish a menu and choice.

When running that many rods I will either let it freespool or run a clicker if the reel has one so none of my rods go in the water. If I'm fishing at night I put a small glow stick on the rods with scotch tape so I can see when I'm getting a bite.

Hope this helps. Good luck

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    2. its the law here.

but i have 25 or so outfits hanging in the shop. for various species and places.

5. TexDan

TexDan New Member

State:
    Texas
    There is no such thing as too many rods. I like to have about 6 out on 2 rod pods of 3 each. Then I usually have one in my hands that I am fishing for perch for bait with.

6. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    more rods, more hooks, different bait until the kitties decide what they want to eat that day. Plus I am still new so my selection is limited Abu 6500c3/cattmaxx heavy 30# BBG, ZEBCO 33 with 10# for eaters and whatever dad will let me borrow.:smile2::wink:

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    "My sister looked at us like we were crazy...but are we really?"

I'm just guessin', here, but she prolly knows you better than any of us do. Just sayin'...:wink:

8. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    You're probably right...I did have a supervisor tell me that when I wore my hair down and walked fast I looked like I was gonna kill someone. :eek:oooh:

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Typically, I use 3 rods. I can have 33 hooks by law, so I will put out 2 trots with 15 hooks each, and 3 rods with 1 hook each. :wink:

10. Kerplunkd

Kerplunkd New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Two is about all I can watch at one time. But if both get hit at the same time its hard to hold my beer.:wink:

11. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    Somebody should come up with something that holds your beverage of choice for you and lets you consume it while you reel them both in.:wink:

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Is this what your thinking?

Attached Files:

13. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    ...yeah, that might work!:wink:

14. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have about 15 rod reel rigs..Mainly for the reason of rigging each one differently..Its a lot easier trying different techniques to "figure out" what the fish want rather than having to keep re rigging one line all the time..Not only that but also if I get snagged and have to cut my line I got another rig setting right with me..As far as hooks in the water I can only fish with 3 maybe 4 rigs at a time...

15. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I usually have 6 or 7 rods in the water.
    I'll have 6 set up with different baits for cats, and one to play around with, while waiting for the cats to bite.

If they didn't have a limit here, no telling how many rods I'd have in the water! :crazy:

Ken

16. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    2 rod limit here in pennsylvania :angry:

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have three catfishing set ups and I use all three.

18. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    We use 13 rods.
    You ask why 13 ?
    The answer is because we don't have 14 rod holders, LOL

I say use as many as the laws permits ya. Only while fishing alone would I run less lines.

-Jim-

19. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Bank fishing here in SC you're only allowed 2 per license fisher. But from a boat you can have as many as you can handle. Each of my boats have 24 rod holders but we normaly limit ourself to 10 rigs out at a time mainly for more room to land big fish. Tournament fishing normally also reduces the number of lines we will put out.

20. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Melissa, if your sister thinks you are crazy you should see some of the looks I get with 12 rods standing in holders around my center console or when fishing with up to 8 at once when the bite is slow........by myself!