How many practice catch and release on catfish? CPR

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by fishingbuddy4, Dec 6, 2008.

1. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I was thinking about this the other day,and was wanting to see how many people practice catch and release ,and what sizes you keep.I throw anything over 4lbs back ,and only keep 4 fish per outing ,What is your thought?

2. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Well Robert, 2 things, the first is how is my supply fo catfish in my freezer:tounge_out: and second is how large is the fish we are talking about. People have their own ideas about this subject for sure and mine is for a catfish if it's 20 or better, she swims, MOST OF THE TIME, the rest of them, SORRY ABOUT THEIR LUCK:wink:

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Not going there to much animosity there

4. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    im gonna start another pot of coffee this is gonna get good before its took off and deletted !!! lmao :smile2::smile2::smile2:

as mick said in rocky i didnt hear no bell

ding ding :wink:

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Everything I catch goes back regardless of size. I have nothing against anyone keeping a few for the pan, I just don't care to.
    For you guys that do keep a few, once caught they are yours to with as you please. All I would ask is that you consider letting the trophies go...W

6. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I only target fish between 1.5# to 8#... Anything bigger, (IF I caught one ) would be released. Fish is a food supply, and I like to have fish in the freezer...

7. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    No worries scott ,They wont delete this post ,this is THE USA,we beleive in freedom of speech.

8. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i agree totally robert .

maybe this wont get to heated .

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I release all catfish over 5 lbs now. If I need fish for the freezer....I prefer the ones around 5 lbs. or smaller. I dont keep hardly any fish nowadays. Its more fun for me to watch the bigguns swim off in good shape. I fish the same places every week and some of the fish we catch are recognizable from their markings and coloration and sizes. CPR is a great tool for growing bigger and better quality fish.:wink:

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    lol Bob. This is the BOC not the USA.:crazy:

About CPR. I believe in not wasting my tax dollars and licensing fees. There has been a whole lot of money spent on creel limit and population studies that help determine our fishing and hunting regulations. I say follow the rules and CPR becomes a non-issue.:wink:

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I personally release every fish I catch. I do that cause I'm lazy and don't like to clean fish and second, my wife doesn't eat fish of any kind.

12. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I CPR all of the Blues and Flats. If I want to keep catfish for eatin I'll target some channels for the freezer as they seem to be in abundance. Dont get me wrong, I love to eat fish. I just chose to keep fish that are in good supply (crappie, bass, channels, gills). For now there are plenty of those for eatin, although some day one of those species may go from my eatin list to my CPR list.

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    We have fish once every week or two normally and I don't buy it at the store......

I only keep some when we need them and the rest get released.

14. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    I release all fish. I'm with river-rat....I'm too lazy to clean fish :cool2:!

15. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    If I kept all the fish I catch....I would need 12 freezers and a new house too. I turn them loose because of a personal choice. I still have fish every once in a while, but not too often. I just like to fish. I dont consider this to be wasting liscensing fees. Just common sense.:wink:

16. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    If I kept all the fish I catch....I would need 12 freezers and a new house too.

is there no possession limit in KY?

17. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    No Brad there isn't. Not on catfish which are considered a rough fish in Kentucky. I would like to see catfish reach sport fish status and have limits enforced.:eek:oooh:

18. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    that sucks.....Kentucky Fish and wildlife needs to get with it.

I'm heading down to Truman tomorrow, hoping to bring home a few eaters (3-5Lbs). Me keeping fish is definalty an exception rather then the rule, probibly 99.9% of My fish are CPR

19. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I usually throw everything back

20. Kittycatcher

Kittycatcher New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    I throw everything back that is over 10 lbs, a man got to eat some of his catch.:cool2: