How many pounds of fish do you eat yearly

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Boomer, Jul 18, 2008.

How many pounds of live fish do you eat yearly?

1. Dont eat the fish

2. 10-50 lbs

3. 50-100 lbs

4. 100-200

5. 200-300

6. 300-400

7. 400-500

8. over 500

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Kind of curious, I saw a post that asked how many people eat their fish, but nothing about how many pounds we consume.

Myself, I give a lot of fish away to people who want them, if they are in the area I am fishing. So count that also.

I usually go thru about 150-200 lbs a year of fillets, so I figure that is about 250-300 lbs of live catfish, dont know the actually break down on fillet vs whole fish, but I figure that is about right.

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    we as a family eat fish atleast once a week from spring untill winter and as long as it last
    we consume a 1 gallon ziplock bag every meal
    i know 100lbs of live fish fills 5 1 gallon bags

last year i had 20 bags saved for winter but only lasted till january

3. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    I chose 10-50 because I usually just fish for fun. Never kept many. I've kept close to 40 lbs of fish so far this year, and I may go over 50. My 3 boys have really aquired a taste for fish, so I'm starting to keep more of them.

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I usually don't eat live fish, but some of the sushi I have tried looked like it could swim away if I put back in the water.. lol..

~ Why are all the Smart Alick's in AZ??? lol...
    ~A

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I don't eat them. If I eat out of where I fish I may start to look like Big George..... :crazy:

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

You should be so lucky.:wink: Try shavein your butt and walkin backwards. It would be an improvement for you.:crazy:

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I don't take many at all. I would be in the 10-50Lb range, that's live. We also eat trout, bass, striper and hybrids..not just the cats.

We do pretty good on saving money by eating my catches. We also have enough deer to eat year round ; )

I don't give fish away.

-Jim-

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i dont give any out either. i mean ill fry up some a couple times a year for me and a few buddies but i dont give out frozen fish.

but i do eat my share. 50-100lbs. most years i put around 70-100lbs in the freezor. channels. filleted and whole dressed. then i just fish for fun. and in the spring ill rummage through the freezor and make sure its eaten up before i start keeping any. thats how i do my harvesting.:wink:

i keep most bass i catch because i only catch 10-20 a year. and once in a while ill get a mess of bluegills too and a few crappie.

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fish and hunt during just about every available season. I try to harvest 3 or 4 deer every year for the freezer as well as turkeys. Also squirrels and rabbits and dove and quail. I also fish for stripers which is very good table fare as well as catfish. I probably consume 30lbs of fish each year.:eek:oooh:

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i dunno how much i eat.. my wife doesn't eat it, and i often find myself fishing for my catch! I like to do it that way, then it makes me feel i have to catch to eat.. esp. if im craving some... i don't keep very much on hand for this reason, and hate to hear about the overharvesters, that end up and throw it out after a year or two...:sad2: rollo

11. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I eat some of the smaller cats I catch sometimes, but less than 50 lbs. a year I'm sure. I love some fried catfish, the problem around here is that they are contaminated with PCB's and mercury, especially the big ones (another reason for CPR). I have 2 young boys, so I'm not comfortable feedin' 'em much of the stuff. GA DNR actually recommends that people do not eat blues over 32" from the Coosa River here.

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    We eat alot of fish. Wife and kidlets love it. If i can't catch it, i'll go to a restraunt.

13. TurboJim

TurboJim New Member

State:
    El Paso, Texas
    I don't usually eat the fish I catch, I mainly practice CPR. Catch, Photo, and Release.

14. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My family loves catfish and crappie, bass I dont even bother with. Each year I catch and freeze probably 100-150 lbs of fillets. I have fish fries until those are gone. After I catch those I fish for the fun of it. I give away alot of fish I catch, while I am below outlets fishing. I figure it like this, people can only use so many pounds of fish a year, and either I catch them or they do, so I dont mind giving up fish. There have been times I wish people would return the favor......lol........

I have yet to over harvest, but have under harvested.

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What you said; except the kidlets are full grown now with fisheating spouses.

16. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I mainly fish the Ohio River and due to warnings will not eat fish from there even though there is an allowable & safe amount posted by the DNR. If I fished somewhere else I would eat some for sure.......

17. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I eat as much as I can catch. I don't eat catfish,just like to catch them. I just like crappie,walleye,and white bass. Allen

18. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use to keep under 50 pounds a year when the channels and trout looked healthy. The last couple of years the stockings look unhealthy. I buy my fish from the market.

19. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Arlo/Buck, both of you are obviously made-up screen names. Nice try on starting a big CPR debate. Find something else to do, would you please?

20. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

I put 10-50 because that would probably be close to what I eat personally a year, if you throw in family and friends it would go up a lot. I only eat fried catfish maybe once a month, to me if I eat it too often then it wouldn't seem as good. I know that when I do eat it, I eat till my belly won't hold another piece, and that's just during the cooking. So it's probably a good thing I don't eat it too often.
    :smile2: