How many poles you usually use

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by JEFFRODAMIS, Sep 26, 2009.

1. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    me my wife, my dad, and my mother in law usually go out and take 12-16 rods with us and usually set up at least 10 with galvanized pipe cut in 2 foot sections drove in the bank for pole holders..spaced abotu 15-20 feet apart all the war around our favorite point...we dotn get too many people in that area but we get lots of strange looks lol . msot poles are medium action with 2/0 hooks and baited withs everal different things to find what they are biting. use shad, minners, liver, stink bait, gills, and we put otu 3 or 4 poles that are heavy action with 8-10/0 hooks and big gills or 8-12" shad on them and the clickers on.

2. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Previously we were allowed 2 in MI, so I had 2 out, plus I brought along a rod for catching bait sometimes. Our DNR asked for input about upping the limit to 3 rods, and Michigan responded overwhelmingly with a yes. Now I can use the 2 medium action rods with dip bait for the eaters and a med/heavy with a 'gill for something larger. It's difficult to carry 3 catfish rods and a bait rod down to the ol' fishin' hole in one hand, and a net plus the rod holders in the other, but I manage it. Everything else is on my back in a backpack and slung over my shoulder with a strap from a bag. No place to put a stringer of eaters, so when I leave it takes two trips from the spot.

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    we have got that "rapin tha water" remark before lol, ohhhhhhh well...i turn everythign i catch back and my dad eats everythign he catches and my mother in law loses half she has on so i dont think we are puttin too big a hurtin on the 2-3 lb channel cat :big_smile:

4. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    10 to 16 dam, must be nice, i can only use (2) at one time( wish it was more). man with 10 rod's out it must be a made house when a clicker start's sounding off.:eek:oooh::wink: most of the time i use gills,alive and cut,i like to catch them there where im fishing, hook them up till they are dead, then i'll cut them up and use them :cool2:

5. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Here in Pennsylvania we are only allowed to use two rods. :0a32: that someday it would be upped to 3 but on some rare occasions it is tough to keep 2 in the water. :wink:

Ray

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Well we got 4 people fish and the kids fish sometimes as well but me and my dad have bout 3 or 4 each and my wife and her mom have 2 each the kids got their own so thats 2 more plus we got lures on some for walkin the banks while the others soak...yeah we got it covered lol:smile2:

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jeffro, Illinois law says two only. I wish it were more.

8. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Herre in N>C> there is no limit on the number of rods you can use ,but i fish mainly from a boat an we normally fish 6-8 rods

9. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In Missouri we're allowed 3 poles and sometimes that's more than enough:smile2::smile2: If I take the Grands, I only use one and put it out upon arrival never to be seen again until we pack up to go:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::cool2: Stay safe and wear your track shoes!!!:wink:

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i am pretty sure in texas we can have 100 hooks per person..how you use them is your business. gotta be REALLY greedy to break that law down here..even heavy trotlining we never had over 150 hooks out and that was with me my cousin and my uncle..use 1 50 hook and 4 25 hook lines...msot ive had out by myself is 75 hooks between 2 trotlines

11. Sound

Sound New Member

State:
    Arkadelphi
    All I got room to put out and it varies. I carry 8 and use 4 most of the time. I don't use my smaller set ups unless bait fishing or fishing for small channels.

12. festus

festus New Member

I usually put 6 or 7 rods in the truck, but just usually only use three of them. Those extra rods are for other species of fish just in case my primary species isn't hitting. If I'm not mistaken, at one time Tennessee only allowed 3 rods at a time, but now it's unlimited. Maybe I got into that three rod habit on account of this.

13. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I carry alot of equip. 4 poles (1 MH 10ft Rod which I cast to the middle of the river, an 8ft MH I cast about 15 yrds shorter, another 8ft MH I cast about 25-35 yds from the bank and my 7ft Heavy I cast about 15-20yds from the bank). A backpack with weights, hooks, scales, pliers, bells, line, etc on my back, chair over my shoulder, frozen bait bag over my shoulder, all 4 rods in my left hand and a sit & fish bucket with all my live gills/shad in my right. And sometimes I take that long walk from Dutch Gap parking lot to a deep bend almost a mile down the trail lol. The things we do to enjoy fishing lol. I fish alone most of the time when I go to the James. Luckily when I go to the Appomattox I can pull up to the bank and just download everything, wish I could do that at the James lol I need a Pontoon

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here in New Mexico we have a choice:smile2::smile2: You can fish with one rod,or you can PAY an EXTRA 4.00 and get the extra rod validation added on.:angry: I would like to thank our game and fish dept for this very stupid law,as well as the out of state fishermen who griped about not being able to use two poles while fishing for trout. before it was 2 for warm water species,and 1 only for trout.

15. festus

festus New Member

[Hey Richard, are you allowed to have two poles on the water as long as you're only fishing with one?

16. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use at least 4 poles. But that was usually with 2 people fishing them. And when there is more people there I put out more poles. Most of my friends buy fishing licenses and never bring any poles when were are camping on the river, so i always bring extras and take advantage of it.

17. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    In KS you can have two unless you have a permit for a 3rd. I almost always run 3. 6 bucks a year to add a 3rd pole aint too bad imo.

18. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri

19. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We have a 3 per person rod law here in Indiana, I usually have my 3 in the water and a spare on the boat in case of a malfunction or snag.

20. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

We,re only allowed 2 a person here in Pa.Depending on where I,m fishing at, there MAY be a third rod out there.:wink:.I usually fish with a pretty fair sized crew ,so between us we cover a lot of different depths and baits.Most of the spots I fish,we got a pretty fair amount of shoreline covered too.