How Many People Should Be Allowed Per Boat in Tournaments??

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Jan 17, 2010.

How Many People Should Be Allowed Per Boat In Tournaments?

1. Two

2. Three

3. Two + one under 16, or one over 65

4. No Limit

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Mudfishmusic said, "...it was the rules regarding number of people in the boats. If you are trying to promote participation in the sport you should allow as many fishermen in any given boat as it can safely carry..."

Which leads me to ask: How many people do YOU think should be allowed to fish in a boat during a local tournament and why?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I don't see where having more than two people is an advantage for anyone. Might even be a disadvantage, getting in the way of each other. Also, the more people aboard, the less each individual gets in payouts. That said, I don't see why there is a limit at all on the participants on boats in a tournament. I'll have to agree with mudfishmusic. I personally like to fish two of three people in a boat, but if someone wants to fish ten people, it's fine with me! As long as all are in the same boat, and using the maximum of 6 rods, I don't see where the issue is.

Bill in SC

3. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I dont think there should be a limit. With most of the tournaments going to a rod limit it wont matter. Even without a rod limit I still dont think it matters. Like Bill said the more might be a disadvantage. Tournaments that are entered "per Person" shouldnt have a limit on the # of people in a boat. (as long as you are within regulations for your boat and safety equipment) In these events more people more money going back for the payout, but if that boat with 6 guys wins they have more ways to split it. On some of the bigger events they allow a third person if older that a sertain age , or handicaped, or under an age. Why not just allow a third person all together and charge a extra small entry fee for tht extra person. It can make things easier for some to get to all the far events as far as splitting fuel, and rooms.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    In a Tournament there should be a set limit. If its 2 people so be it. As if 2 or 3 teams has that extra person on board. Thats one extra person to clear reels out of the way if there anchor fishing then hang a big fish. Where the rest only has one person to get everything out of the way and drop the anchor float. It may well cost the 2 person a big fish where the 3 person team could get the other lines out of the way faster..
    Also just in getting fish in say 2 fisherman has a big fish on each. With that extra person on board theres help getting it in. For me it should be 2 people per boat in every tournament.
    Not sure how this works... But take Tn and any other state with 1 fish over 34" rule if all three can have one fish over 34" thats not right.
    Thats one reason I have not even fished one. Way to many issues that needs to be ironed out and make uniform across the board. take a look at Tournaments for others? Crappie, Bass or Walleye. How many of them do you see with 3 more more people in a tournament? Clear the rules up and make them all the same less chances for one team to have a advantage where other teams may not know of a 65+ or young fisherman. Also not sure who was bright enough to start that 65 rule? Shoot more older fisherman that fits that and can fish. Now the kids I may see as a way to help get them into the sport. But again if they care to start out they can do like others. Fish with someone and learn the old way.
    Thats my story and I'm sticking to it..

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    For just regular anchor fishing, it's not a big deal. But in some situations, say control drifting on a river with decent current, it's pretty much one pole per person. With 4 people in a bigger boat you can double the number of productive poles. I'd hate to see the bar raised to where you need a 24'+ boat and 4 people in order to be competitive.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have mixed feelings.

Catfish tournament angling is in its infant stages compared to bass fishing. With that in mind I think that allowing unlimited participants will open the doors to getting new folks involved.

The Carolina Catfish Club dropped its limit on the number of people per boat this year. The hope was that folks who do not have a boat might be invitied to fish with folks that do have a boat.

From an anglers point of view I would not want more than one other person fishing with me. I think too many people create more problems than they solve. There is always the issue of too many chiefs and not enough indians. We have all heard two is company, three's a crowd.

Decision making is compromised with too many people, unless you have a good leader, and if you have a good leader they don't want or need a bunch of other people in the way!!

The bottom line is that I don't think having additional people outweighs the problems they create.

"...Also not sure who was bright enough to start that 65 rule?..."

I'm not really sure what the point of that rule is either. I have never understood the handicap exemption either. If I was over 65 or handicapped I would see it as a slap in the face!! It’s like saying, “you don’t really count as a person”.

Either allow three people to fish, or leave at two without all the exemptions!

7. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    "But take Tn and any other state with 1 fish over 34" rule if all three can have one fish over 34" thats not right"

The easy solution to that is to set a limit on fish over the legnth that can be brought in. It can hurt the single angler if its set at 2, but the others with 3 and 4 people dont have an advantage.

If your worried about being able to fish more rods, set a limit on the amount of rods. I believe that 2 guys can fish 6-10 rods without a problem. The more on the boat the more they have to get out of the way. Me I like to have 1 other person with me during tournaments. Thats more to do with space, having a big tank makes thing cramped.

8. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think two people have more room an I think to many people on the boat hurts the fishing also a 10 rod limit is good

9. Neal F.

Neal F. New Member

State:
    Gwd SC
    I say two w/1 under 16 or 65+. I only fish with me and 1 more in a tourney. But the reason I say 65+ is some older men may not be able to go out on their own and a kid cant either.

10. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    "Catfish tournament angling is in its infant stages compared to bass fishing. With that in mind I think that allowing unlimited participants will open the doors to getting new folks involved.

The Carolina Catfish Club dropped its limit on the number of people per boat this year. The hope was that folks who do not have a boat might be invitied to fish with folks that do have a boat."

This voices my thoughts on the matter exactly. I personally thought the purpose of a club tournament was to give you an excuse to get together with your membership and their families/friends and maybe try and have a more exciting way to introduce new people to the sport/club. Keeping these as affordable as possible and letting the prizes just be for effect seems like the right approach.

Now if we were talking about a serious pro type tournament where competitors are looking for income and national recognition I could see the concern with extra fishermen as an advantage or disadvantage. In this situation there might be a need to worry more about keeping things fair but even here as long as the rules are known and everyone plays by them it doesn't really matter what they are. The only reason anybody would really ever want to limit the number of people per boat in a tournament is because they only want a certain number on their own team and think everyone else should do things the same way.

I guess it just boils down to whether you're trying to have a tournament for pro fishrmen are for regular shmoes who just want an excuse to get together and share a good time? Either is fine it's just a matter of knowing what you want.

11. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    i say it doesnt matter. Let them pay per head and a boat rod limit. there is no advantage to multiple anglers past two.

12. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i said three. two to fish and one for the video and entertainment:smile-big:

13. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina

14. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well i have run tournaments for over 4 years now and have 4 chapters running this year. Here is where i stand on this first off safety must come first some bodys of water or the boat you are using is just not safe for more then two anglers. Now that being sad there is no advantage to multiple anglers as long as you have a rod limit per boat. I have found that many people can not go the 100.00 per boat in todays world money has become hard for many to come up with to fish tournaments. This is where if your boat can handle it having 3 or 4 people in a boat or toon with a rod limit based on 2 anglers will both draw in more teams, and keep them all on the same playing field. 4 or 6 rod fished b 3 or 4 people is still only 4 or 6 rods. My pa tournaments have a 4 rod per boat limit wher WV,MD and VA have a 6 rod limit and our tidal tournament where there is no limit by law we have a 10 rod limit,

Big G can tell you this lets a team have a guest from out of town or it will let 3 or 4 buddy's fish a tournament and all teams be on the same page. This has worked very well for us and we have even saw a few teams start up after someone was aguest for a tournament. Lets face it there are alot of anglers who would really enjoy the tournaments but they just don't know how or where to get started. Taking someone along for a tournament can and has opened up a new pass time for them. Now if i feel that a team or the fish they will have to handle would not be safe in there boat i will turn them down as a team. but many time i have find others members at the tournament to take them along with them. I hate to let someone out who really wants to fish as its all about having fun and enjoying the sport as we always spend more then we win.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Oh come on fellas. Be like BASS. 2 people.
    You don't get no bait boys in BASS.

16. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I choose 2 + people. Reason being is that I like the idea to take a child or a senior with you. My grandfather was blind for 30+ yrs before dying. He would have my grandmother drop him off at the local park to do some river carp fishing. If he was alive and able today, I would invite him with me. I hope to take my children one day if they are interested.

I have fished a tournament with 3 people in a boat and it wasn't as much fun as 2 on a boat. But this all depends on the fellowship of the fishermen that wants to do this if tournament rules allow it. Just as long as the boat isn't overloaded. Safety should always come first.

17. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    Ok fellows lets just charge a $25.00 yearly membership fee to fish the club tournaments. Then the club will benefit from more people on the boat this way. This money could be used to pay for polygraphs leading to biggers purses at tournaments. Set a four person limit and encourage participation which in turn helps fund everything better.I see so much potential at the local South Carolina tournaments for greater success and growing participation. A third or fourth person on a team really helps with the traveling expenses for many, myself I prefer fishing with one partner but dont feel at a disadvantage if the competition has 4 anglers on deck. Does any of the local clubs host a fishing seminar around S.C. for children or veterans?

18. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    I selected no limit only because I have 3 girls that love to fish and hate not being able to let all of them fish the tournament when they are always prefishing together, another reason we only fish 6 rods and that dont increase with the number of people in the boat...It's much easier to fish two or 3 people and it's less exspensive if they are paying their share rather than all out the same pocket..Both sides have good and bad..you just got to have rules to go by..

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  19. Cantrell2500HD

Cantrell2500HD New Member

State:
    Cedar Park, Tx
    I had to choose 2 + one over 16 or over 65. although I think it needs to be amended a little.

As someone else said, if one team only has 2 guys and another has 4, then if they have 3 hits at one time they still have that extra guy to move polls and net fish, where as the 2 man team are shit outa luck if they have 3 biggins hit at one time.

And even when I think it is alright on some tourney's to have more than 2 people, why do the unpopular people have to suffer because they can't find more than their own fishing buddy to help them on the tournament when that popular guy over there can fill his boat with as many people as rods.

Also, I think the age limits need to be reviewed, only because when I was 10 I was already catchin cats I couldn't pull in the boat, let alone a 16 year old. Might as well have a full fledged catter onboard. I know of a pretty good catter on here that is 16 and under and he seems to know a pretty good deal; untill he starts sayin he's catching record breakin catfish everyweek HAHA I'm jk with ya man, you know who you are!
    And the 65 age limit is a joke, my grandpa just turned 65 and he can still outfish me any day of the week. Those old farts know what they are talking about, they caught the big ones way back when even without the fish finders we have today!!

I think the age limit should be lowered to 12 and thats all. And I completly understand about wanting to bring your kids with ya fishin, I would love to bring my daughter along with me but there is plenty of time for us after the tourney or on another day.

20. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    im not a tourny fisherman (Yet, lol)...But i voted 2 and one under 16 or one over 65..But if you want to have as many os you want so be it as long as they have a rod imit...But if you have a 6 rod limit and 12 people in a boat There are advantages and disadvantages..Because you will be moving slower to get the bite but you have more people so one will be closer to it...BUt i still think 3 maximum