How many people like circle hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by catmando2, Mar 6, 2008.

1. catmando2

catmando2 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have tried circle hooks and can not find any major improvement in my catch than I can using any other sharp hook, whether it is a straight hook or an octopus hook, a kahle hook or an offset hook. I mainly fish for channel cats using 2/0 or 3/0 hooks

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I wouldn't be without them. I use Daiichi's 5/0 for channel catfish.

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I use circle hooks all the time. the advantages of using circle hooks are you don't have to set the hook. just reel them in. the majority of the time you'll hook them in the side of the mouth, usually they can't swallow the circle hook. i haved uped my catch ratio probably 90% using these circle hooks. yes, sharp hooks are a must. all hooks are meant to work, but they must be ultra sharp to work well.:big_smile:

Mark..

4. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i wouldnt fish without them either,i use 6/0 gammas,and since switching to them have improved my catch considerably.

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I switched to Gamakatsu's (8/0 & 9/0) circle hooks and my catch rate has been outstanding! I fish for the big blues and they litterally slam the bait and hook themselves! They're great!

6. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    nothing but them now. Don't get me wrong I love setting a hook but I also love walking up, lifting the rod an start reeling

7. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    i do not like them probably because i do not know how to use them well. I think i tend to lose more fish on them.

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    They're my 1st choice when it comes to hooks, since I started using them my hook up ratio has improved greatly.

9. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    8/O Gammys & 6/O Owners.:cool2:

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I been hearing so much about "Circle Hooks" - That I'm really going to give then a "fare shot" this season out there on the Delta & anywhere else that I may fish. I uses khale hooks with great success (& don't get me wrong - I'm Not Bragging at all), but the only thing that I could see that I would have to get by is "Not wanting to set the hook all the time" but after I get past that --- "Look Out". :amazed: LoL
    :wink:

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I've found that they work well when the bite is agressive. Not too good if they aren't really taken the bait. I'm talkin channels.

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I use them on normal to smaller size baits. On large cut baits and live baitfish, I like using the 9/0 and 10/0 king kahles. The best performance that I have found with circle hooks are the wide gap circles such as the 8/0 Gamakatsu octopus circle and the 7/0 Daiichi circle chunk lights. The one consistant problem with using them on the bigger baits, is that the point of the hooks wants to turn back into the bait a lot when reeling in to check your bait.

13. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use circles 90% of the time, 7/0 and 8/0 Gamma's as well as 10/0 Owners. At other times I use 10/0 Octopus or 10/0 King Kahle for large live bait.

14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I was using only circle hooks when fishing for blue cats but now I've started using them for crappie, channels and bluegill.

15. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Not all brands of circle hooks are effective. I like mustads. Supposedly circle hooks are among the stongest hooks made. They are especially good if you leave your rod unattended. They always bite when your pants are down:embarassed:

16. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    If you are not having a consistently better hook up rate you are either using them incorrectly, using an inferior brand, or the fish are not agressive at all.

1st, the brand I consistently use is the Gamakatsu Octopus Circle. It has an offset and is arguably the best if not only hook out there. I use size 8/0 for big fish and 6/0 for eater size.

Correct use of the hook. 90% of catfishermen that I have observed refuse to let the circle hook do its job. That means keep your cotton pickin hands off the rod and reel until the fish is on. If you can't tell it's on, it ain't. So many times I see guys pick up their rod, fiddle with their line..... and try to assist the hook.... and miss the fish. Typically a fish will bounce it, bounce it, bounce it, then try to drag it in the river. Only when the fish is headed to parts unknown should you react. It is probably the singularly most difficult part of using circles known.

Part II correct use of the hook. Everyone seems to assume that the hook needs to be buried, or hidden, in the bait so the fish doesn't "feel" it.
    Before you say that cicles stink, try this. Place the circle in the very corner of the very toughest piece of bait. By very corner, I am talking about no more than a 1/4 to 1/8 inch depth from the edge of the bait. The fish will NOT get all the bait and leave you with a little tab of bait nor will it shy away from the exposed hook. I repeat (This is important) Do not insert the hook too far in the bait or you WILL run the risk of the hook turning in to the bait.
    If you miss a fish properly using a circle it is that the fish are light biting which is dicy regardless of hook style. If you are not a lazy catfisherman this is the time to add a stinger hook.

I hope this helps,

Shawn

PS. I have used this method on Channels (deadly) Flatheads (purty darn good) and Blues from 5lbs to 72 lbs (deadly)

17. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I started using 6/0, 8/0 gammas last year fishing for big blues. The hook set is simple, when the rod tip is almost in the water pick it up and a slow pull and reel. When I do, do the slow pull it is more of a sideways pull. You have to let the rod load up, this is where the rod tip is headed towards the water. Let the rod set the hook for you. Now like I said this is for big blues. You did not really say how you are fishing for the channels, are you in a boat, fishing from shore, with a slip bobber or not ?

18. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    The hookset for channels is the same as for blues. I actually set the hook by reeling 3-4 times before removing the rod from the holder, especially if the bite has any tentativeness to it at all.

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    circle hooks really shine when using the fat cat bobbers other than that i have started using the sickel hooks that akawolf has.they are the sharpest hooks i ever seen rite out of the sack.

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    since i started using circles i wouldnt tie on anyother for cats. jmo.