How Many People Jug Fish in NC?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by WylieCat, Aug 6, 2008.

Are you a regular jugger in NC

1. Yes, I am a regular jugger in NC waters.

2. No, I am not a regular jugger in NC waters.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    How many folks are regular juggers in NC?

2. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina

Wylie whats your plans with the information you recieve from these polls? Are they gonna be topics at hand at your next meeting? Just curious as to what kind of speech you are planning to give on juggers, I know you dont like jug fisherman, I'd just like for you to consider the vast amount of fisherman that dont use this forum that may still be for, or against jugging, and i hope your not beggining a petition to ban jugging. We all arent bad people, and we all dont suck the water dry of every fish we catch, (at least i dont). Just like you to keep some of those things in mind because id hate to think a fellow fisherman, was fighting to keep other fisherman off the water. Thats for the PETA people to do that think a hook in a fishes lip is torture to animals.

3. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Great post Sunday Money. :wink:

To be honest, I want to educate myself.

I hear a lot of stories about what juggers do from rod and reel guys. The truck loads of fish they catch, selling them to pay ponds, killing everything they catch, the list goes on. I am sure there is some truth in this, and I am sure some of them do these things, but I also feel sure that not every jugger is in this category.

My hope, and hunch, is that there is a place for both juggers and rod and reel fishermen and that the trophy catfish populations are better served by having jug fishermen around. This poll will not answer that, but I hope that this poll will at least give some idea of the ratio of rod and reel anglers versus juggers.

"...I know you dont like jug fisherman..."

Not true. What I don't like is what I have heard from rod and reel fishermen that is attributed to juggers. It is many of the practices that are associated with the juggers that bother me. Like I said earlier; I know this is not true of all of juggers. Cobra is a good example of someone I believe to be a responsible jugger, and I believe this so much so that I am planning to go fishing with him within the next week.

Some of the "pro-juggers" are quick to call me names, but take a closer look at what I have said in these posts. You can call me the "devils advocate", a moron, or whatever you choose, but the truth is that I may actually be the one that the juggers need in their corner on this fight. :wink:

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i think of what you are doing as a good thing

i am also glad you are willing to try something before judging i give ya two thumbs up :wink:

5. brucemacgee19

brucemacgee19 New Member

State:
    nc
    you do worry about some jugs bouncin. it almost seems you think about jugs more than me and my buds. shoot man just ask the sundaymoney if you can go and then you can see hows it done....... jug style. you might even sell those randrs to have some extra cash to make you some mean jugs. come on out of the closet and say it.............."I want to jug fish"

I think we might need to poll that and see if it's true or not.

6. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Dear Cobra,

I just want a 5" x 7" glossy of Wyliecat with a big smile on his face while pulling up a jug with a catfish on it. I will pay top dollar for this photo! No worries, I will take care of enlarging it myself.

Thanks,

Bryan

7. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    wylie cat would have a nervous breakdown if he ever has a biggin on that single line and get him in the boat by himself, no nets allowed on my boat wyliecat, no gaffs that i have seen in some boats,

and to the rr guy that just pm me, you start pickin up my jugs and throwing them in the trash and i will get in your boat with you or snag your lines so don't start talking trash to me !
    cobra:wink:

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I never have jug fished in N.C........but I been thinking about making the journey eastwards and giving it a try. I hear there is some really good jugging in N.C. I have a couple hundred jugs made up and was just wandering do I need a special jugging liscence or will a regular fishing liscence work?:smile2:

9. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i belong to the carolina catfish club i do a jug at a time i have ben doing this for a long time sometimes i jug more often than i should i never cach any cats whith the jug that i use all i get is a buz or headace:tounge_out::tounge_out::smile2:

10. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Little Ronnie, next time you go jugging, let me go and I will be your designated jugger.:wink::smile2::crazy:

11. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Sunday Money, I also dont have anything against jugging. But Badin and tillery have a problem. Thats why I ask the question. I just want to know what most people do so that we dont infringe on your right but also not allow poor sportsmen to infringe on mine. I will take some pictures on a few trips. It's probably going to die down a little for now. lake is very low and ramps are getting to the limit.

Throwing jugs in the main channel (surrounded by shallow water) makes a spooky night ride to try to get around. covering a whole section of a large lake also is infringing on others. small jugs that wouldnt hold the weight of the fish must less the weight of him pulling is like shooting a deer and not going to get it. I think thats where a bunch of lost jugs come from. none of which are labled. Thats what the discussion is about. Really it would be great if a jugger only crowd came up with the guide lines for jugging but most turn there head and say "not me" only problem is some juggers are making more and more fishermen/skiers/swimmers dis-like them more and more. This is the topic about saving jugging. it could one day be banned. Shinning deer with a spotlight was an old tradition so was hunting over bait. jugging is mostly uncontroled not because they like it but because there were not the complaints that there is today. dont bite your nose off to spite your face guys.

At Badin you can keep 1 fish over 32" if that were enforced that would help alot, that goes for any kind of method of fishing.

12. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    To dang many jugs if you ask me!!:confused2::tounge_out::smile2:

13. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...I also dont have anything against jugging. But Badin and tillery have a problem...."

Well, prove it. :wink:

I have put the word out and so far I have not seen any proof of the "problem" with juggers.

I hear the stories, hear the tales, but see no proof. :roll_eyes:

14. HookBender

HookBender New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey guys,

I jug fish, but that doesnt make me against the RR fishermen. I like to hear my bait alarms sing just as much as the next guy.

I feel the issue we are facing is just plain old lack of common sense and irresponsibility of a few dopes making the rest look bad.

So, to answer your question. Yes, I consider myself a jugger.

15. Sunday Money

Sunday Money New Member

State:
    north carolina

I appreciate you putting it like that Wylie. Anyone that sees that many jugs out at once or that many jugs left unattended has the right to complain, i jug, and i would still be hot if i saw it myself. It also sounds like you boys have a bigger problem on your hands down the river with juggers than what i see up on Norman. I think there are two categories of fisherman though, not juggers and R&R guys. Good fisherman, and bad fisherman. The good ones no matter what method of catching the fish they go about, keep only what they need, and leave the bigger ones in the water, then the other guys that go to the lake to clean out their boat on the water and take everything they catch home with them. I hope we can all talk to each other more on those terms from here on out rather than judging somebody by the style of fishing they choose to do. Whatever you do, do it legal, and dont be a jerk on the water, and we'll all get along just fine in harmony. Yall keep em straight out there and try not to get in any fights out on the water this weekend, LOL.........

16. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    wylie cat
    i am going tomorrw to check my holes and see if the big blues are still there, friend of mine went yesterday and said he had a big one on in fact he has cuts from the jug line on his hands never did see the fish pulled lose after a few minutes, he said he ran over some on the places i fish and said he saw them, i would tell you what my pontoon boat looks like but you might sneak down and try to find me, and try to gps my holes:smile2:

so i am gonna take you fishing its up to you to get the suckers in, remember no nets or gaff on my boat i will let you use a pair of gloves, i am gonna go catch some bait for you and don't tell anyone what i use.
    cobra:smile2:

Well, prove it. :wink:

I have put the word out and so far I have not seen any proof of the "problem" with juggers.

I hear the stories, hear the tales, but see no proof. :roll_eyes:[/quote]

17. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    now we are going fishing not catchin, its like deer hunting, we are going deer hunting not deer killing, its up to you to get the suckers in the boat lol, gonna have my camera so when you go swimmin gonna show the world lol:roll_eyes::crazy::smile2::wink:

18. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Looking forward to the adventure and learning something about jugging Cobra. :big_smile:

I can go anytime on the 11th, 12th, 13th, 15th, 19th, or 20th. :wink: It would be awesome to go before the Carolina Catfish Club meeting on the 13th, but I understand your schedule is busy until then. If something changes and you can go sooner please let me know.

I am sure the CCC members would like to hear about the trip at the next meeting. :big_smile:

19. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i just get the feeling wylie is hiding something with all these questions about us jugger, wylie more people than you know are juggers

20. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Yup, you busted me....

Its a complicated conspiracy to learn all the juggers holes, cathe their fish, then steal their jugs, then ban jugging statewide!

You figured it out though with just a few clues I left here online....

The FBI needs you to help fight terrorism....