How many of you..

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Timber Cat, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    ever fish up around the Burgaw area in the NE Cape Fear? I know I have seen some posts for around Castle Hayne.Just curious if anyone ever ventures a little further down my way?

2. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    The farest north that I have been on the Fear was Erwin and the furthest south was about 1/2 mile below lock and damn number 3

3. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    I've been up to lock#1 several times.Just not lately.I duck hunt alot from Wilmington back north on the NE Cape Fear and I hit the Black river also.Have some friends that head up towards locks 2 and 3 though.They usally have pretty good luck up there.

4. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    right now lock 3 is producing a good amount of fish, blues and strippers. Do you know when the shad are comeing up this way I haven't seen anything yet.

5. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Billy,
    I know they have been catchin them up my way for a couple of weeks now in the nets and rod and reel.I would think they should be up your way by now or very soon.You could call the lock master over at lock #1 and see what they are doing there.His name is Robin Hall.I will see if I can find his number for ya by the end of the night ok.

Timber cat

6. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    I did a search and found this
    http://www.saw.usace.army.mil/recreation/Lock1.htm

and incase the page won't come up you can email Robin Hall at-
    robin.hall@saw02.usace.army.mil.

or you can call the lock and dam office (for lock #1) at (910)655-2605
    and the cell # listed on the page above is (910)874-0881

I know he will be able to tell you if they are there or how far up they have made it.Hope this helps :big_smile:

Timber Cat

7. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Thank you I will give him a call today and see where they are at. Are you going out this weekend? If so put up some good numbers for the cape fear on the JAYNC Neuse and Cape Fear Rivers Study. ([​IMG] 1 2 3 ... Last Page). Lets how them that the Cape Fear don't play nice.

8. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I used to fish it a little bit, using the ramps just east of Burgaw. My buddy with the boat doesn't like that area so we don't go there much anymore. We catch some pretty decent flatties, channels, and scattered blues. I know a few spots if you ever need a passenger.

9. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    No problem Billy :smile2:

Conrad, why doesn't your buddy like that area :confuse: I'll be honest,I don't fish it hardly at all around Castle Hayne back towards Wilmington due to all the big bass boats up there.I do however duck hunt around there.Just curious to what his reasons were.Probably same as mine,too much traffic??????

10. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I don't know why he doesn't. We don't fish Castle Hayne either though, we only fish the Cape Fear now in the vacinity of Wilmington when we go. I used to do some bank fishing at the bridge on 53 before you get into Burgaw, but we got kicked out of there thanks to some others who were leaving behind a lot of mess and tearing it up. We used to have a lot of decent fishing through there, no monsters but several flatties from 10-25lbs, blues and channels from 2-10lbs., big bowfin, eels, and some big sunfish. He just hasn't been interested in going there since he got the pontoon. I think he just dosn't like the narrower waters.

11. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Yeah I know what ya mean about people messing stuff up:sad2: .Seen it happen too many times.And you are right about the narrow part.The further north you go down the NE Cape Fear the narrower and shallower it gets.I know there are a few deep holes up my way but for the most part I bet that river is anywhere from 5 to 12 feet deep in most places.And as dry as it has been it is less than that.Last two trips my son and I have had to run the boat in shallow drive and almost had to get out and pull it across a sandbar or two:crazy: .That is a beautiful river up this way though.Hey,I bet ya'll enjoy fishin off that pontoon boat huh?:smile2:

12. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah, a pontoon works great as a platform for catfishing, especially when the nights get long you can just lay out and catch some Z's and wake up to the bait clicker. It does have it's drawbacks in speed and handling.

13. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Yeah I bet you could get a nap on one of those.Last time I spent the night in a boat was over at the locks at Rigelwood.Not a lot of comfy spots in a jon boat:roll_eyes:

14. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    I heard that becasue of all the people leaving trash and stuff like that they might shut down the lock and damn at Tar Heel for fishing the only way that you will be able to access it is with a boat. Don't know any truth to it but i was jsut wondering if anyone else heard it?