How Many of You?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by PABowhunter4life, Jun 12, 2009.

1. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    I am blessed to fish the areas that I do as they are full of all species of fish and plenty of big one as well. However, it is somewhat of a curse as well in the sense that if I decide to throw a large sucker out for flatheads there is a very good chance that a lunge, or even a big pike or walleye, may swim along and get it (I've had it happen already with a lunge). The walleye I'm not too worried about but the pike and lunge are indeed an "issue" and I really need to have a steel leader on instead of a mono leader in the event that one would grab my sucker.

So, my question, does anyone fish live bait with a steel leader as opposed to mono? If so, is there any special way you go about rigging it up? I was thinking that some of the live bait rigs they have for lunge could solve my problem sice it's on a 2' long wire leader but I wanted to see if anyone had a solution that wouldn't cost me $15 a leader lol

2. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    at walmart they sell Eagal claw 18in metal leaders fairly cheap dont know if that would work for what you want to do. i bought them and used them. i personaly dont like to use them just for the fact i get snagged in the missouri river and have to break my main line before they will and lose my wieght, with mono its a 50/50 ill break the leader before the main line

3. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Buy the materials and make your own leaders. A roll of wire, some crimps, and a crimp tool should be all you need and you should be able to get those most anywhere. I don't know the prices, but you can probably buy the materials for not much more than a good supply of leaders, and probably make 4 times as many. The only major investment would be the tool. Down here a lot of people make their own steel leaders for saltwater fishing, and I would imagine if it's common practice to use them up there that lot of guys make their own.

It's very easy to do. I wouldn't want to make them on the water, but I would make a bunch before going fishing. Put a swivel on one end and then you can either put your hook directly on the leader or use a snap so you can change your hooks out.

4. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    +1 for Tom. I learned that very thing 3 years ago in Canada. Now we make and take our own at a fraction of the cost. Every thing is available online at various sources, just Google'em up and have fun!

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I got the wire,crimping tool and sleeves to make my own leaders,but I very seldom do.Went through my log book from last year,my wife landed 4 musky and 1 pike,all of hers were on braid tied directly to her hook on spinning gear.I landed 2 musky and 1 pike on my usual catfish rigs,they either had 50 or 60 short mono leaders.If I was getting bit off more,I,d use em more.The only time I tie some up is for a couple of spots where I,m fishing around a lot of rusted out steel.In that situation,I,ll make up some 3 ft ones with my usual hooks on one end and a swivel on the other.I rig my sinker to breakaway,I use 120lb wire,this will buy me a little time,but they,ll still cut this off in the metal too.:wink:

6. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    Thanks for the input guys! The reason I ask is because I have some 18" - 90 lb. steel leaders that I use for musky right now and I was thinking about just tying directly to the braid and using one of them as the leader instead of messing around with a barrel swivel and mono. Just wasn't sure how many people did it was all.

Again, thanks for the input!

7. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i use heavy mono for "gator" bluefish and i land about 90%of the bigger ones. if you want to up your odds try tandem snelling a pair of circle hooks.

8. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    AMERICAN FISHING WIRE LEADERS MATL. U CAN USE A FIGURE 8 KNOT IN IT no need to crimp :wink:

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    when we fish up in quebec for pike i don't use any steel leader for the fact that it gets kinks in it and makes the lure swim funny, i just use 80# braided line and that holds up fine, just have to check it every so often for frays after a few fish