How many of you use a "Bass" boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by RRaider, Jun 4, 2006.

1. RRaider

RRaider Guest

I'm selling my 65 Mustang so we can buy a boat. I've found a good deal on a used "bass" boat and wonder if I would be better severed with a fish & ski type boat. Can you mount rod holders and such on a bass boat? I've never seen it done but surely you can. Anything else I need to consider? Very new to boats.

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I use a bass boat I have a ranger pro team 18 18 foot bass boat i use for all spieces of fishing it has some very good points for fishing for cats in and other fish its just a matter of prefference. I also have a new 06 ranger that will never see a cat in it that i use for tourneys.

3. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    To me a boat is a boat. It is a matter of preference. I used to call my smokercraft a bass boat, now that i put rod holders in it i guess i will call it a catfishing boat. If i am bait fishing i will call it a bluegill or shad boat.
    I just like the boat. it is a deep vee 16 ft. aluminum with a 40hp evinrude, trollingmotor,livewell, 2 depth finders, room for buckets, moviable seats, etc. .I just like this boat so don't worry, If you like to fish out of it use it. The only concern I have is if it fits the water that you use it on. Safety and convince are my concerns.
    good luck with your decistion.

4. JM<HO I would not own a bass boat. All that pretty fiberglass and gel coat to get scratched and beat up. Pretty carpet to grind livers and worm dirt into. Nope not for me, I have no use for a boat prettier than me LOL.
    Seriously if a bass rig fits your style of fishing and you are comfortable in it go for it. After all it is all about comfort to me. I really like some of these rigs out there and the way they handle. Easy to get up on plane with a smooth ride with speed to boot. What's not to like.
    To each his own but I do not like working lines or running jugs off of a casting deck I would much rather be down in the boat when I'm fooling with a fish strong enough to pull me in. Aluminum may never ride as smooth or as fast as fiberglass but a good aluminum hull is hell for stout and will outlast fiberglass any time. Heck my current boat is a mid 60s model aluminum v-bottom with the dents to testify to to it.
    Wait a minute there. You could get an aluminum hull rigged up for bass, there are plenty of them out there. Best of both worlds I guess.

5. RRaider

RRaider Guest

Catseeman, most of the lakes around here are small except for one, Lake Meredith, it's 16,411 acres, the rest are 2500 or less.

Here are pictures of the boat, it is a 17ft fiberglass bass boat. I hear Lake Meredith can get pretty rough in high winds so we might be out of luck there. Of course I'm not sure I could afford a boat big enough to handle Meredith. Are other hull types better suited for a bigger lake like this?

Here is a link to the info on Lake Meredith. Which is down from 127ft to about 60.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/meredith/

Attached Files:

6. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    thats the big thought for buying a boat where you dock and type of water conditions you fish in I mainly use mine in res. so its a 12' al.
    but I live one block away from maumee river so it gets a little rough with water skiiers flying buy till dark ha ha ha ha little boys bed time

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It looks like a fairly decent rig. That said, how will the comfort be at 2 or 3 in the morning...are you a jugger, or run trotlines? Are you going to set in it for 6 to 8 hours waiting for Mr Whiskers? How hard is it going to be to get a fiesty cat over the 'gunales? Lots and lots of questions to be answered, and it just comes down to how good are you at compromising. Bright side is you have a good deck to cast a net from...

8. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I've got a 1984,17ft Champion bass boat with a 150Merc on it, I use it for everything. The carpet does get a little rank after a couple of catfish'n trips, but a trip to the car wash will cure that in a hurry, its the best way I've found to clean it, just hose it down good with the high pressure wash and let it dry. I like the bass boat cause it handles rough water well, has lots of storage, it is comfortable and most of all because its paid for.

9. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Getting a big cat or salmon or sturgeon etc into a bass boat is very easy that is one reason I like my old tracker bassboat I troll with it everything even bass fish from it in waters I dont want to take my ranger into. As for being comfortable either one of my boats are very comfortable I have trolled for 10 hours straight in that tracker and my back never gave me any issues and I hae a bad back so for me the bassboats work fine. Just need to decide on what you want etc.

10. mjbarby

mjbarby New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    good and bad in all of them, just depends on your needs and wants. my bass boat has always fit the bill

11. reel pleasure

reel pleasure New Member

State:
    New jersey
    Want sum real advice?

Get the biggest friggin boat you can afford,cause i gurantee you,after a few trips out with it,it will get small pretty quick.
    Dunno matter how big it is,after buyin more stuff and adding your own preferences,they all get small.
    Is alot like HP,no matter how much ya got ya always want more!
    Maybe more speed than HP but you get my point.

I got a bass boat i use for all fishing and i have nmo problems,I'd rather have a boat i'm actually inside of now,for the different fishing i do but the boat werks fine for me and serves me well.

Plus,nothing looks sweeter than a girl in a bikini lying out on the deck of the boat!!!!

12. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    I got a really good deal on a used 17' bass boat with an aluminum hull and 40 hp Yamaha and I'm very pleased with it. I could use some more space but at least I have a boat now! I have a friend who has a fish/ski combo and he's getting rid of it because it really didn't accomodate the fishing as well as it did the skiing.

For me, it boiled down to price and reliability. If I had been willing to spend thousands more, I could have had the "perfect" boat. With this boat, I can fish the lakes, Red River or small streams. It was the right decision for me.

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have a 16 foot bass cat with a 70 horse johnson but that boat gets small fast as I pile my gear in the boat. I would like to have a wide bottom boat with a center console. Anyone wonna trade!!:big_smile: :big_smile:

14. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I have a 17' bass boat that I use for all kinds of fishing. I made a rodholder rack that is good a sturdy, holds 6 rods and can be installed or removed in a couple of minutes and didn't have to make any holes in the boat to mount it. I use a folding chair to sit in on the back deck when catfishing.